Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Random Convoy Evasion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Random Convoy Evasion Reply with quote

I was playing Grey Wolves 1.0 with the update 1.1 and i noticed a strange but smart convoy manuver. While i was chasing a convoy approaching the southern area between Britian and Ireland the convoy was going a straight North eastern route when i attacked it. Sank 2 ships and it did its normal evasive manuvers and i fell back and reloaded my torps. After i fell behind i caught up to the convoy about 2 hours later and it was still headed NE. As i was setting up and all that the convoy drastically changed course to ENE in a organized manuver. Upset at this manuver i fell back to see what they were doing, but they continued on this ENE course so i tried to set up again. Again they switched course and headed east. All this in about 2-3 hours. I fell back once again. I checked if i was detected but i wasnt, then an hour later they went back NE. It was about 1000 when this happened. I caught up and sunk 1 more ship then left because of the proximity of england.

Now i remember a while ago reading one of our modders talking about doing these types of things to convoys. Changing their courses randomly to throw off uboat attacks and challenging us to set up again. I was excited about this because of the realism factor (convoys usually switch courses at night and morning) but then i never heard about this again. I was just wondering if this was implemented in Grey Wolves?? :hmm: If it was thats an excellent feature and i accepted the change with enthusiznm (sp?), if it wasnt, what the HELL was this convoy doing?? All the manuvers were executed flawlessly, no ships fell out of convoy, and none of those weird convoy bugs occured where ships go every which way. Im definately not complaining! Rock
Tonnage_Ace

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same experience a few hundred KM west of Gibraltar. I was using GW 1.1, but I also had 'UC for GW' installed and the creator said that it added speed and course changes to single ships and convoys at random intervals. Do you have that mod enabled?
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the work of CCIP for RUB Thumbs Up

All the major convoys have 2 parallel courses joined together so a convoy might go stright on or make a course change, all done by randomness.

Makes for one great convoy chase and a great sense of satisfaction when you find the convoy, especially if it was not where you expected it to be and made a D to go over there instead. Rock

NYGM have expanded on this and created random speeds for each waypoint (as we have done for every ship in the game) so if you had a report of 6 knots at the next waypoint the convoy may go up to 8 knots!
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG thats awesome!! I am so glad this was implemented!!! I was angry and frustrated in a good way at this damned convoy, but the satisfaction i felt getting into a good position and finally sinking some ships was great!! WOw!!! :sunny:
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - i noticed this. This has REALLY added to the game. Before you could plot a convoy course across the ocean and intercept it anywhere along that route. Now you really have to stay in visual contact. And, attacks have to be swift; if you wait to long they change course and your TMA is ruined.

Kb
Heibges

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say, I 've seen that with just RuB 1.45
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: