Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

editing ship tonnage

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: editing ship tonnage Reply with quote

is there an easy way to modify the base tonnage that one gets for sinking a particular ship (both in game in and in recog manual)?

I can't live with (NYGM TW setting) that the T3:T2:small tanker = 8300:5890:5480. It's just not believable. If small tanker is 5k then T3 should be >10k. T3 should be 7 or 8 k.

How can I adjust this?

Kb
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the tonnage is affected by SH3Cdr by default. I do not know about NYGM, but I suspect that the .cfg are also corrected with the new calculated realistic tonnage.

I do not know also about the rec manual, but for the game you can edit the ship displacements.cfg in the cfg dir of SH3Crd. I suspect that it will do the trick.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander has the tonnages change by date, so they change from month to month. These are in the SHIII Commander date folders.
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open the "Sea" folder in "data", open the ship you want to change then open the cfg file and change the tonnage to whatever you want. You can also open the en and ge log files and change them there as well.

I agree the T2 is way off by looking at the dimensions which dictate tonnage.
By comparing the C2 and C3 dimensions I believe the T2 is around 7-7500 tons and the small tanker should be less than 4000 tons. There should also be a reduction in the number of T3s in convoys.
But, that is my opinion (based on those actual numbers, though)

Wulfmann
AG124

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this site, the standard light (unloaded) displacement of the Small/Patapsco Tanker is 1,850 t. And the full (loaded) displacement is 4,130 t. I guess that is GRT.

http://warships.web4u.cz/lode.php?language=E&stat=USA&typ=AOG&trida=Patapsco
booger2005

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T2, which also represents an actual class, seems to have grossed 9,900.

http://www.t2tanker.org/t2-history.html
JScones

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using SH3 Commander then you can change the base tonnage in one file - 'Ship displacements.cfg'. The current tonnage figures are based on analysis that Observer undertook mid-last year and are considered the most accurate. There's an in depth thread around on the subject.

By editing the aforementioned file you can set the base tonnage to whatever you like (and have it also reflect in the Museum). You can adjust or even remove the randomisation aspect and yearly displacement increase (2% per year for some classes). You can delete the file if you want to remove the feature altogether. In which case whatever values are in SH3 will be used.

Of course, if you don't use SH3Cmdr, then you'll need to adjust each ship's cfg and log files under \data\Sea\.
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booger2005 wrote:

Then the model is incorrect. Look at the demensions. Displacement means water displaced by the object. the water removed and replaced by the ship weighs???
Look at the length, width and depth. The T2 can not be 8,000 tons and still use the model and demension in SH3.

Then, consider how many there would be available in convoys. Since the highest scoring U-Boat ace averaged 16,000 tons per patrol and the highest single mission score was 89K we (if we seek realistic results) need to find ways to reduce out scores. If, if realsim is a goal.

Wulfmann
booger2005

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfmann wrote:
booger2005 wrote:

Then the model is incorrect. Look at the demensions. Displacement means water displaced by the object. the water removed and replaced by the ship weighs???
Look at the length, width and depth. The T2 can not be 8,000 tons and still use the model and demension in SH3.

Then, consider how many there would be available in convoys. Since the highest scoring U-Boat ace averaged 16,000 tons per patrol and the highest single mission score was 89K we (if we seek realistic results) need to find ways to reduce out scores. If, if realsim is a goal.

Wulfmann

Hold on there. I posted this a while ago in the mod request for more ship types thread:

booger2005 wrote:
CCIP wrote:
Weight doesn't have any direct bearing on tonnage. Tonnage is measured by the displacement - that is, how much water a ship displaces. And that's really based purely on how much of the ship is underwater.

No, if a ship is in equilibrium, i.e. floating and not sinking or rising, then the weight of water it displaces is equal to the weight of the entire ship not just the portion under water. Its the volume of the water displaced that's equal to the volume of the ship underwater. Its Archimedes’ principle. I know where you are comming from though, I read something abut that somewhere where there is a difference in shipping records between the deadweight tonnage or actual weight of a ship as would be measured on a scale and the weight of water the ship displaces. However, this rediculous from a scientific point of view. Here, read this.

http://www.bartleby.com/65/ar/Archimprin.htm

Gross registered tonnage is something entirely different, being a measure of volume. Its this value on the T2 that I refered to, not displacement.

Here, I've since found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnage

So are you saying by the deminsions the T2 doesn't have the volume to equal 9900 GRT?

Let me refine my comments some more. The dimensions for the T2 in the museum are about that of the standard real life T2 tanker (501 feet long) but with too narrow a beam compared to real life (62 vs 68 feet). The origional GRT of the T2 however corresponded to the common, mass produced version, the T2-SE-A1, wich had a longer length of 523 feet. So I would agree that the GRT for our T2 should be somewhat under 9900.

BTW, without SHIII commander open up the ships cfg file (root/data/Sea/NOTM_T2 or whatever)

[Unit]
ClassName=OTMST2
UnitType=101
MaxSpeed=14.5
Length=152.7
Width=18.8
Mast=35
Draft=9.5
Displacement=7791
RenownAwarded=7791

[2DCompartments]
UnitPos=42,2,431,25
NbOfComp=4
Name1=Propulsion
Area1=58,5,30,18
Name2=Keel
Area2=164,2,187,10
Name3=Engines Room
Area3=107,13,52,18
Name4=Fuel Bunkers
Area4=161,13,30,18

Edit whats in bold to the new tonnage
U-Bones

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lays open the displacement and renown for all ships in GW 1.1 for those who use SH3 Commander 2.5 and are comfortable using notepad.

Copy or paste or replace all or portions of the file
c:\program files\sh3 commander\cfg\ship displacement.cfg

enjoy - but at your own risk. change or ignore what you dont like Wink

Example snippet below .... download at
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze33y78/displacements.zip

;Contains displacement information used for generating
;random tonnage values for selected ships, or simply
;making adjustments to them. New ship classes
;can be added - use the SH3\data\Sea\xxxx folder as the
;section name. Remove ships from calculations simply by
;deleting whole section. UpperDisp, LowerDisp and/or
;YearlyDispAdjust keys can be added to each ship class to
;override defaults. Renown can also be adjusted here.

; Replacement Ship Displacement.cfg for SH3 COmmander 2.5
; Ship specs from /data/sea/ship/ship.cfg (gw 1.1)
; Museum armament data from data/sea/ship/ship.eqp (gw 1.1)
; randomization used for patrol craft and merchant types
; other than victory/liberty. ; All other ships will be
; "modded" to default values. This file just exposes
; renown and displacement for everything - use or
; comment out as you desire.

[SETTINGS]
DispPrecision=1
RenownAwardedEqualsRandomTonnage=0

[DEFAULTS]
UpperDisp=1
LowerDisp=1
YearlyDispAdjust=1

[NTRW_]; Armed Trawler
UpperDisp=1.2
LowerDisp=0.8
YearlyDispAdjust=1.02
Displacement=530
RenownAwarded=30
;Default: Displacement=530 and Renown=30
en_Text=Displacement: 530 GRT|Length: 48.6m|Beam: 7.5m|Draft: 2.5m|Mast: 18.5m|Speed: 12 knots |Armament:|2 x

3in |AA:|2 x 40mm Twin |ASW:|2 x DC-Rack
ge_Text=Verdrängung: 530 GRT|Länge: 48.6m|Breite: 7.5m|Tiefgang: 2.5m|Mast: 18.5m|Geschwindigkeit: 12 Knoten

|Armament:|2 x 3in |AA:|2 x 40mm Twin |ASW:|2 x DC-Rack
fr_Text=Déplacement: 530 t|Longueur: 48.6m|Largeur: 7.5m|Tirant d'eau: 2.5m|Tirant d'air: 18.5m|Vitesse: 12

nœuds |Armament:|2 x 3in |AA:|2 x 40mm Twin |ASW:|2 x DC-Rack

[NDD_C&D]; C Class Destroyer
Displacement=1375
RenownAwarded=130
;Default: Displacement=1375 and Renown=130
en_Text=Displacement: 1375 GRT|Length: 100m|Beam: 10m|Draft: 3.5m|Mast: 24m|Speed: 36 knots |Armament:|4 x

4.7in|2 x 21in TT Quad |AA:|3 x 2pdr Single|4 x 20mm Twin|1 x 40mm |ASW:|4 x DC-Rack|2 x K-Gun
ge_Text=Verdrängung: 1375 GRT|Länge: 100m|Breite: 10m|Tiefgang: 3.5m|Mast: 24m|Geschwindigkeit: 36 Knoten

|Armament:|4 x 4.7in|2 x 21in TT Quad |AA:|3 x 2pdr Single|4 x 20mm Twin|1 x 40mm |ASW:|4 x DC-Rack|2 x K-Gun
fr_Text=Déplacement: 1375 t|Longueur: 100m|Largeur: 10m|Tirant d'eau: 3.5m|Tirant d'air: 24m|Vitesse: 36 nœuds

|Armament:|4 x 4.7in|2 x 21in TT Quad |AA:|3 x 2pdr Single|4 x 20mm Twin|1 x 40mm |ASW:|4 x DC-Rack|2 x K-Gun

[NOTMs_]; Large Tanker
UpperDisp=1.2
LowerDisp=0.8
YearlyDispAdjust=1.02
Displacement=11335
RenownAwarded=340
;Default: Displacement=11335 and Renown=340
en_Text=Displacement: 11335 GRT|Length: 190m|Beam: 30.3m|Draft: 10.7m|Mast: 27.7m|Speed: 18 knots |AA:|2 x

20mm Twin
ge_Text=Verdrängung: 11335 GRT|Länge: 190m|Breite: 30.3m|Tiefgang: 10.7m|Mast: 27.7m|Geschwindigkeit: 18

Knoten |AA:|2 x 20mm Twin
fr_Text=Déplacement: 11335 t|Longueur: 190m|Largeur: 30.3m|Tirant d'eau: 10.7m|Tirant d'air: 27.7m|Vitesse: 18

nœuds |AA:|2 x 20mm Twin
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: