Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

plot a course with Latitude and Longitude

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: plot a course with Latitude and Longitude Reply with quote

Hallo captains!

I have a little question, really coming from a newbee... Embarassed

The question is:
I have received an order to pick up the crew of a ship, and the msg is giving me latitude and longitude... 58.14 N and 01.36 W...
How i can plot the course on the map?

Sorry for this strange question, but i have to do this before i can come back to the base.

Thanks for all the advices!

Stefano
GreyOctober

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunatelly, in the stock map in game doest feature latitudes and logitudes. Mods such as GW add an overlay map which is exactlly the one found in your SHIII dir/documentation/SH3_MAP.jpg

Looking at a map though, the location is some 50 km south of Shetland Islands (UK)

Cheers!
stefano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyOctober wrote:
Hi,

Unfortunatelly, in the stock map in game doest feature latitudes and logitudes. Mods such as GW add an overlay map which is exactlly the one found in your SHIII dir/documentation/SH3_MAP.jpg

Looking at a map though, the location is some 50 km south of Shetland Islands (UK)

Cheers!

HI and thanks for the answer, i guessed something like this, on the map are missed the parallel and the meridian.....

How i can put the map in the game??

Thanks again!!
Cheers!
don1reed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stefano,

You need to click on to the SH3 Community Wiki "sticky" at the top of the forum, then click on to "Navigation".

edit: failing that, you could make your own Lat/Long plotting sheets using 10ths of inch as Lat increments for nautical miles, then simply multiply the number of minutes of Longitude by the Cos of Lat to get the number of miles and plot at the desired scale. For example, to plot your position W20° 16.5' on N40°, at a scale of 10 tenths of an inch per 10 nm, multiply 16.5 x cos 40° = 16.5 x 0.766 = 12.6 tenths of an inch.

Cheers,
stefano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don1reed wrote:
Hi Stefano,

You need to click on to the SH3 Community Wiki "sticky" at the top of the forum, then click on to "Navigation".

edit: failing that, you could make your own Lat/Long plotting sheets using 10ths of inch as Lat increments for nautical miles, then simply multiply the number of minutes of Longitude by the Cos of Lat to get the number of miles and plot at the desired scale. For example, to plot your position W20° 16.5' on N40°, at a scale of 10 tenths of an inch per 10 nm, multiply 16.5 x cos 40° = 16.5 x 0.766 = 12.6 tenths of an inch.

Cheers,

Hi don1reed!

If i have understand good, following your formula, i should have to go in a course of 3,2 degrees for around 10,12 NM if i have to reach, let say. a randevous on this latitude and longitude, right?
I hope.. i was not so good with these things in school... Embarassed

Thanks for the advice!!

Cheers back!!
don1reed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something right up your interests, Stefano-:

http://www.offsoundings.info/navl.htm

about half way down the page there are free DL for plotting sheets and things necessary for navigation.

see posplot.zip

Have a great Sunday!
don1reed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I've made a plotting sheet using the formula Longitude minutes x cos Latitude.

my base is 1 tenth of inch = 1 nm Latitude on right vertical (meridian). You could use mm or cm...whatever, I use tenths of inch 'cause it's easier for my old eyes to see.
All distance on natical charts is measured in minutes of LATITUDE

36' x cos 58° = 19.07 tenths of inch west of 001° Longitude.

This is how you would plot your position. Now, plot other ship's position. If the other ship is farther than 2 nautical miles away, you then need a larger plotting sheet or a chart. The Navigation-L site has those plotting sheets.
stefano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!!
You have been very kind with this help!

I will study the site you have given me.

Thanks again !
Great sunday to you too !

Cheers!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: