Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Who else has stealth bombers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have other countries produced there own stealth bombers?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 20 ]
Kindof sorta
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
I can't decide
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
I like pretty colors
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 36

Deathblow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Who else has stealth bombers? Reply with quote

*[FOX]* Bort's post got me thinking... Do you think that other countries have developed their own version of the stealth fighter (F117 counterpart) or B2 bomber by now?

The basics of the technology have been known to the public for about 15 years now (since the first Gulf War unveiling of the F117 and even longer when you think of the B2) )than that by radar manufacturers. Flat sides to deflect radar waves and radar-absorbant material to absorb the rest. Doesn't seem like the theory behind it is too much of a mystery and other should be able to design a steath plane on paper at least. We're certainly seening the basic principles of stealth being implemented across many platforms, but how what about the design of a soley steath platform designed to for undetectability as its primary design constraint like the F117?

If so who?...If not, why not...

...Is it only a matter of affordability, with the $120 million apiece price tag as well as the research and development cost still not worth it to most other militaries? Maybe compounded by lack of a industry base that could construct such a craft in reasonable numbers with all its material requirements and necessary construction techniques? and design consproduce the needed materials in enough quantities, and infrastructure needed to develope and construct need be in place, but surely someone else has duplicated the systems.

Personally.... I haven't decided yet. I'm certain that all militaries have a stealth bomber finished on paper... but to whether its been built... :hmm:
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well russia has tried and has a few designs but not much also Britian has a few plans but other than that i dont know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're truly stealthy, how would we know?
mapuc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweden haven't got any stealth bombers like the B2-Spirit. We have got some stealth vessel like the HMS Visby

Markus
Deathblow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapuc wrote:
Sweden haven't got any stealth bombers like the B2-Spirit. We have got some stealth vessel like the HMS Visby

Markus

Oooooooo Cool Neutral\ Thats a spiffy looking ship. No AAW capability? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby_class_corvette
Deathblow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
If they're truly stealthy, how would we know?

We don't. Rolling Eyes That's the point of the poll, to see what people think. :know:
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pretty colors! Rock

Well the main reason is the price tag, the b2's go for at least a couple billion each. RnD costs run in the multi billions. Stealth aircraft are super expensive to develope and make and most countries dont wana put that kind of money into such a specialized vehicle.

Also the Fighter designation for the F-117 is totaly wrong, its not a fighter, never was designed as a fighter, cant act like a fighter, and heck cant even engage other aircraft with anything other then mean thoughts. it should have been A-117 or B-117. Though they didnt want to call it B because most other aircraft with the B designation are all big Razz, and A doesnt quite work as the 117 doesnt generaly attack tanks and similar military ground targets, usualy just buildings. So instead they went with F which is something it doesnt do at all Razz Maybe they should have called it SSB-117 or small stealth bomber Joking but then they might get mixed up with the navy sub designations.
Deathblow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeonSamurai wrote:
I like pretty colors! Rock

Sweet! Me too! Rock Thumbs Up
Quote:
Well the main reason is the price tag, the b2's go for at least a couple billion each.

Surprised ... wow... you know, I didn't realize that those B2s were running in the billion dollar range, I always assumed they were about around hundreads of million range. Learn something new everyday. http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-2-specs.htm
CCIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that depends on the definition of "stealth". :hmm:

Frankly, it's possible that there will be other types of "stealth" than funny shapes and bucketloads of RAM on the wings. Yep
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Glory to the Empire! Reply with quote

You pathetic humans have much to learn about stealth... Wink
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the reason for the lack of stealth craft is how unsuccesful its often percieved.

theres no such thing as true stealth, only 'harder to see'.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a true stealth jet, all them funny sides do not eliminate its radar picture it just makes it smaller and harder to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
STEED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a 100% stealth plane and I will buy you a drink. Smug
Torplexed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEED wrote:
Show me a 100% stealth plane and I will buy you a drink. Smug

How about Wonder Women's Invisible Jet? I saw it on teevee so it must be real. Where's my drink? A Mountain Dew will do. Yep

STEED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Best laugh I had all day Thumbs Up the drinks in the post. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: