Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Can you Triangulate using Bow and Towed Arrays?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hachiman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Can you Triangulate using Bow and Towed Arrays? Reply with quote

Is it safe to say you can triangulate the position of a target(At least fairly close ones ) using your Bow and Towed Arrays?

Seems to work fairly accurately for me.
Bellman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Yep - combined in TMA = master contact = Truth. Yep
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to know how to do it Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bellman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its not rocket science just a question of making well judged turns particularly with LwAmis increased SA baffles.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main array you want in a sub is towed array god help you if you loose it, that thing can pick up a camel sneezing 300km away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the last nuc to mount a PUFFS like array for rapid triangulation was the Tullibee SSN-597... well until the Seawolf and its WAA came along. I guess Rickover didn’t want any technology that originated on diesel boats. Rolling Eyes
sonar732

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you combine 30 degree turns and changes in speed, you'll have awesome TMA.
goldorak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Too bad the last nuc to mount a PUFFS like array for rapid triangulation was the Tullibee SSN-597... well until the Seawolf and its WAA came along. I guess Rickover didn’t want any technology that originated on diesel boats. Rolling Eyes

It seems that in the us navy the term "diesel submarine" is taboo.
I think its bad strategy to concentrate only on nuclear submarines, even moreso in a post cold war world.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:
I think its bad strategy to concentrate only on nuclear submarines, even moreso in a post cold war world.

I'm sure if the US Navy's primary submarine mission was coastal defense, they'd be singing a different tune.
But before I go off on a tangent, just check out this article:

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,95378,00.html

On a semi-related note to the original topic, does DW+LWAMI represent the different lengths between TB-16 and TB-23? (And TB-29 I guess)
Also, while I'm asking, are the different sensitivities between towed-arrays taken into account?
I ask specifically regarding the 688i because that's what I normally use but any info on this would be appreciated.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultraboy wrote:
goldorak wrote:

I'm sure if the US Navy's primary submarine mission was coastal defense, they'd be singing a different tune.
Grrrr the Diesel boat doesn’t have to be a costal defense weapon. Damn The one legacy I kinda wish John Holland didn't leave the US Navy. Rolling Eyes Open ocean diesels have been around a long time. How soon we forget the Fleet Type Boats and GUPPEs, The Porpoise, Oberons and Upholders/Victorias, the Zulus, Foxtrots and Tangos. :know:
goldorak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:

Grrrr the Diesel boat doesn’t have to be a costal defense weapon. Damn The one legacy I kinda wish John Holland didn't leave the US Navy. Rolling Eyes Open ocean diesels have been around a long time. How soon we forget the Fleet Type Boats and GUPPEs, The Porpoise, Oberons and Upholders/Victorias, the Zulus, Foxtrots and Tangos. :know:

Yes, even in the book "cold war submarines" an example is made of how an old fashion diesel submarine can pose a very serious threat to a stationary (or near stationary) surface fleet.
They were discussing the falkland war and how an argentine submarine just stayed in the zone of operations of the british fleet. The sub fired several torpedos at targets but didn't sink any of them (because of a failure of the torpedo) while the british had one hell of a time trying to sink the argentine sub and in the end they had to give up.
Seems the us strategists didn't learn this modern lesson of asw.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:

Sure, they don't have to be for coastal defense only, that's not what I'm saying.
I believe the argument is that coastal defense/littoral operations are the only areas where the diesels are actually superior to the nucs.
Now, while littoral ops may be more prominent in the near future for the US, I think the main question is is it worth a whole new class of boat?

I believe the economics of that argument will be/have been the deciding factor for the US Navy, more so than the perceived prejudice against diesels.

Of course I don't consider myself an expert, I'm just giving my opinion. But I haven't forgotten about all the open-ocean boats past or present TLAM. Smile
Linton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diesel boat is a barrier weapon,a nuc is a fleet weapon.The upholders cold war task was to sit ina box as a barrier waiting for the bad guys to come
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultraboy wrote:

Sure, they don't have to be for coastal defense only, that's not what I'm saying.
I believe the argument is that coastal defense/littoral operations are the only areas where the diesels are actually superior to the nucs.
Now, while littoral ops may be more prominent in the near future for the US, I think the main question is is it worth a whole new class of boat?

I believe the economics of that argument will be/have been the deciding factor for the US Navy, more so than the perceived prejudice against diesels.

Of course I don't consider myself an expert, I'm just giving my opinion. But I haven't forgotten about all the open-ocean boats past or present TLAM. Smile

There's also a lot of politics to the submarine industry and there always has been. Anti-Soviet fervor was Adm. Rickover's way of getting Congress to appropriate money for more submarines than frequently even the Chief of Naval Operations wanted. Now a days, people try to play the same game, only they've crossed out "USSR" and replaced it with "PRC" in all their slides. There's also the fact that Electric Boat has what amounts to a government sanctioned monopoly on the submarine business. It's the sacred cow of Connecticut, and predictably, every Congressman from Connecticut says that a submarine is THE ultimate weapon at sea. It's the ONLY thing that can save us from rapid submarine proliferation throughout the developing world.

The truth is, it's not that simple.

Thankfully, the complete lack of fiscal restraint demonstrated by the Republican party in spite of their ideology has managed to put a damper on a lot of this sort of talk, simply because no matter how much you exploit scare tactics to create anti-Chinese paranoia, the money for the submarines you want to build simply isn't there. So... right now... this doesn't fly far.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaQueen wrote:
There's also a lot of politics to the submarine industry and there always has been. Anti-Soviet fervor was Adm. Rickover's way of getting Congress to appropriate money for more submarines than frequently even the Chief of Naval Operations wanted. Now a days, people try to play the same game, only they've crossed out "USSR" and replaced it with "PRC" in all their slides. There's also the fact that Electric Boat has what amounts to a government sanctioned monopoly on the submarine business. It's the sacred cow of Connecticut, and predictably, every Congressman from Connecticut says that a submarine is THE ultimate weapon at sea. It's the ONLY thing that can save us from rapid submarine proliferation throughout the developing world.

The truth is, it's not that simple.

Thankfully, the complete lack of fiscal restraint demonstrated by the Republican party in spite of their ideology has managed to put a damper on a lot of this sort of talk, simply because no matter how much you exploit scare tactics to create anti-Chinese paranoia, the money for the submarines you want to build simply isn't there. So... right now... this doesn't fly far.

It seems, as with most things, that there is a history on this topic that a guy like me (young and stupid) should really study in depth before providing too much commentary.
Of course you're right about the Republicans acting very un-Republican in areas of fiscal responsibility, but I'm not opening that can of worms! Very Happy

But seriously, if holding the Commies back isn't top-priority, I don't know what is! Joking
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: