Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

WOw EXTREME DEPTH!!!!! VIIC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: WOw EXTREME DEPTH!!!!! VIIC Reply with quote

I have just took a pounding of a lifetime. Almost survived too. Strange thing was, as i was plumetting to my watery grave franctically trying to save Albert Orloswki and the crew of U-565 who in two patrols sank over 55,000 grt, my depth gauge meter ran waaay beyond 265m. I blew ballast but the boat sank uncontrollably to 330m then 350m THEN 395m THEN i hit the bottomed and my death was "uboat destroyed by collision. Interesting... WHAT HAPPENED?!

MODs
NYGM TW
Sink them All V 2.2
JIIR Manual
FUbar Crew Skins
and numerous VIIC IX and II skins..
JScones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that was prolly the thought of every Commander that sunk to the bottom. "Bloody hell, isn't the crush depth on this thing only 300 metres? You wait till I get back home and tell them it's not the case... D'oh, I'm drowning."

395m does seem excessive though.
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q - were the lights flashing in the command room around 395? That's the sign that pressure is crushing the boat. It can take a little while for pressure to work your hull integrity down to zero. If you were sinking really fast, you could have hit the bottom before pressure did the job, and the collision dropped you right to zero and blew the boat.

Btw - what got you?

Kb
CCIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't survive, it doesn't count Wink

It's simple - the hull integrity takes a while to get drained. Heck, I think I've gone past 400m in uncontrollable dives like that - but trust me, if you're seriously hit at 200m, it's more or less death already - you'll never make it back to the surface, because before you do your hull will give out.

Not too realistic - but better than the game's instant death on reaching a certain depth. It's completely a game code thing though.
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya the lights were blinking, bolts bursting, glass cracking at 300m and up. it was quite an excilirating experience.
bill clarke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what happend to the crew as the hull imploded ? did they drown or were they crushed by the pressure ?
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were fine. No wounded no nothing. They were just franctically working to try and survive.
bill clarke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvadoreno wrote:
they were fine. No wounded no nothing. They were just franctically working to try and survive.

I meant in reality
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh wah?? My "vitrual crew" was fine until the uboat was destroyed. Nobody was killed by pressure or anything.. Confused
bill clarke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvadoreno wrote:
uh wah?? My "vitrual crew" was fine until the uboat was destroyed. Nobody was killed by pressure or anything.. Confused

Yes I understand that part, but what I was asking was what happened in real life, ? I'm sure that a number of U-boats must have been lost that way, sinking till their hulls imploded, with the poor crew members still alive.
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - I've often wondered what an implosion would be like. I remember from that movie Abyss, there were some pressure deaths. In the first scene an SSN goes down and floods. It never really crushed. I wonder what would happen in real life? Second, there was a submersible towards the end that sunk down the Abyss (with the badguy in it) and it imploded - really crazy sudden crunch. I wonder how a sub implodes? Come to think of it, when they survey a wrecked sub (maybe below crush depth) it is not really contorted or crushed, right? Perhaps it floods and chases the air out before the entire structure "crushes"?

:hmm:

Kb
GreyOctober

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implosion is a physical event occuring when the hydrostatic pressure of the outside medium (gas/liquid) of a body is greater than the inside pressure. Implosion is the opposite of explosion.

I belive that the speed of and implosions varies with the speed at which the pressure difference changes. For example, while not an implosion per se, the hull rupture caused by water pressure followed by rapid flooding. Further sinking will have no effect on the structure because the pressure is equalized. Violent implosions occur i belive by mass structural weaking correlated with abrupt pressure change.

As a rule of thumb 2.31 Feet of water = 1 Pound Per Square Inch
BigBadVuk

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the subs casualties are by implosion...U see a subs are build strong enought to withsand a lot of presure (btqw cylinder is a geometrical body with very high pressure tolerance)but at greater depths all bulkheads will colapsed all together in miliseconds interval becose of the so called domino effects: they r already well beyond their calculated stress and it is enought to just 1 of them colapse( i assumed that there is 1 or 2 ruptured compartments and that they r flooded so the pressure on the bulkheads are same as outside of hull) and cause sudden and agressive change of pressure to second 1 and then that one will colapse and so one...But like i sad usualy it takes miliseconds to happen and usualy boat is splited in 2-3 part(look at images of Trasher and Scorpion wrecks for example).If hull burst before bulkhead then it will be filled with water in seconds and u will be dead before u realise what happened becose your inner pressure is much smaller then outside.Your lungs,heart,stomack will colapse in a splitsecond and u will be dead.
If u were the part of crew u will be sitting in dark,in some unusual upsidedown position all around of u will be that rumbling-creeking nose of hull under pressure and then "snap" in 1 milisecond u r dead..Very fast and very merciful death compared to drawning...
Myxale

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must've been a helluva trip!
To bad you didn't make it!

My boat with the "Tonnage Mod" made something like this, but not quite as deep. But hell nevertheless!

I got punded like hell; took heavy damage and fell fast to the endless bottom to 280 and counting and my crew and i tried to stop the boot.
But no; we sunk and sunk. at 330 when i just waited for the end, water everywhere; lights out in the dark and the shouts and darkness and the scream of steel.
Then the wonder, God bless my Virtual LI;
My crew somehow managed get a hold of the intense flooding last minute (second's more like it) and I desperately ordered blow ballast one last time and with the remaining little pressure that was left. And wow; Sweet Jesus! We catched the boot and stopped sinking around 340. Rock
Intense is not even close.
We made it flank ahead to the save deepth and mamaged to fix our boot to get to the nearest base. The partol ended early! With no praise or Tonnage for us! :hmm:
Thats why i love this game! Rock
And the Mod! Thumbs Up
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a ride! I've been lucky not to have that experience yet. Glad at least one boat survived it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: