Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

The New Football Forum (?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

There should be a Football Forum
Yes, and before the World Cup
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Yes, but it should include other sports as well
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
No, there are more than enough Subsim Forums
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 30

Abraham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: The New Football Forum (?) Reply with quote

This summer Germany will host an extraordinary event, that happens only once every four years.
I'm not talking about the Olympics, but about the FIFA World Cup Football.
Passion, technique, beauty.
Starring such FIFA top ranking teams like: 1. Brazil (830 points), 2. Czech Republic (779), 3. Netherlands (774).
The General Topics Forum might be overwhelmed by bets, comments and discussions, so passionate and so fierce, that it will make the debates between Skybird and me last year, or the discussions between Mike "Red October" Hense and The Avon Lady look like a friendly get together of old friends over a good glass of wine...

My educated guess is that in the Final Holland will (be) beat(en) (by) Brazil.
Amoungst the other teams there will be a fierce competition for the third place. Likely candidates: Czech Republic, Italy, England, Argentina.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start up a temporary Footbal Forum (or a definite Sports Forum - including chess matches!) to prevent undue irritation of those who think that football should be played with helmets and that the ball should be thrown instead of kicked...
Very Happy
Linton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ,keep football in its own corner for those of us who have better things to do in June such as watching formula 1 or cricket!
Skybird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will come all by itself once the tournament has started. But I think no separate forum is needed. We could have a sticky thread, like the chess matches.
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh darn. I thought we were going to talk NFL. Laughing Joking
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's talk NFL after the World Cup. Looking forward to both Smile
August

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linton wrote:
Yes ,keep football in its own corner for those of us who have better things to do in June such as watching formula 1 or cricket!

Or keeping up with whats going on at NFL training camp...
Skybird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine Germany will be out after the first round (which is a realistic chance). Any soccer forum would be flooded with congratulations! Laughing

Where as a German worl champion probably will lead to some sharp comments and after that: icy silence Rotfl
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are too many forums on subsim now.

Getting very cluttered. Maybe it is just me but I think we need a clean up.
Oberon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Just imagine Germany will be out after the first round (which is a realistic chance). Any soccer forum would be flooded with congratulations! Laughing

Where as a German worl champion probably will lead to some sharp comments and after that: icy silence Rotfl

I dunno, I think the Germans are fielding a very powerful team this year. Thumbs Up
August

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does a team get into the world cup? Is it a regular team that first wins a national championship, thereby winning the right to compete in the cup, or are the teams made up of players picked from several teams like the US olympic basketball "dream team"?
Skybird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon wrote:
Skybird wrote:

I dunno, I think the Germans are fielding a very powerful team this year. Thumbs Up

Laughing That's the spirit!
lesrae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:
So how does a team get into the world cup? Is it a regular team that first wins a national championship, thereby winning the right to compete in the cup, or are the teams made up of players picked from several teams like the US olympic basketball "dream team"?

There are a series of (complicated!) qualification rounds played in the couple of years run up to the actual cup, check here: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=275159&cc=5739 for more info.
Dan D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oberon wrote:

Lol.

Yea, why not. Let's talk about footy Smile

My vote: a sticky thread.

Proposed work-title: "The thrills of tribalism"-
"Hard-core supporters of the competing teams occupy opposite ends of the stadium generating a wild energy of chants and offensive gestures that electrifies the atmosphere."
(Tim Parks, Soccer: a matter of love and hate, http://www.nybooks.com/articles/15614).

"FOOTBALL" ,Neil Innes & Eric Idle ("Monty Pythons"):

"I throw house bricks for The Arsenal
I chuck lead pipe for West Ham
I kick and maim for Chelsea
I kill for Tottenham
I drop bottles for United on the crowd from up above
Yes football is the game that we all love
I razor slash for Sheffield
I cut 'em up for Q.P.R.
I stick nails in 'em for Norwich
For Leeds I slash and scar
For Celtic I throw petrol bombs whenever our teams score
Yes football is the game that we adore
We all love football
Kill rape slash
AHH
We all love football
Shoot stab boot
AHH
Football is the game that we adore
I hack limbs off for Newcastle
I rape for Luton Town
For the Rangers I kill strangers
And kick police horses down
I set fire to referees who let opponents score
Yes football is the game that we adore
We all love football Bomb hurt kill
AHH
We all love football Slash Kick maim
AHH
Football is the game that we adore
The End! "
August

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesrae wrote:
August wrote:

There are a series of (complicated!) qualification rounds played in the couple of years run up to the actual cup, check here: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=275159&cc=5739 for more info.

Thanks for the link. It seems it's different from country/region to country/region.

A couple years? That seems like a long time for a team to maintain its supremacy in any sport.
Skybird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:

National teams are made up by the players of that country that the national trainer considers to be the best. the are usually the top players in the club teams that are forming the international elite of club teams.

National teams need to qualify for the world championship by local tournaments, usually focussing on a continental basis. Each global zone is allowed to send so much national teams, and not more. the number of teams is based on FIFA's evaluation of how important and representative for international soccer action that zone is. That's why you see relatively many teams fromeurope and south America, since these two continents are the major hotspots of international soccer.

FIFA's homepage probably has more precsie information on the qualification and tournament mode. The world championship actually is only the final round of a global tournament that already has started with the qualification matches for the final round. Seen that way the world championship in soccer does not last four weeks, but four years.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: