Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Gramophone will not play music
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robj250

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepSix wrote:
There's no need to disable the game soundtrack; no need to reinstall. You just have an empty gramophone folder.

I would follow Sailor Steve's suggestion and download some of the period music. You can put *any* .mp3 file into the gramophone folder and it will play within the game. However, if it doesn't play *well*, then converting it to an .ogg file will probably help. Same with the soundtrack. *If* you get tired of it, you can remove it.

But I'd say keep it simple to start with and just try putting any .mp3 file you want into the gramophone folder (located in ...data\sound\gramophone) and see if that gives you music. If so, you'll be off and running. Thumbs Up

Thank you. I assume I have to wait until I finish my patrol to copy them into the gramophone folder. Robert
robj250

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:
DeepSix wrote:
There's no need to disable the game soundtrack; no need to reinstall. You just have an empty gramophone folder.

I would follow Sailor Steve's suggestion and download some of the period music. You can put *any* .mp3 file into the gramophone folder and it will play within the game. However, if it doesn't play *well*, then converting it to an .ogg file will probably help. Same with the soundtrack. *If* you get tired of it, you can remove it.

But I'd say keep it simple to start with and just try putting any .mp3 file you want into the gramophone folder (located in ...data\sound\gramophone) and see if that gives you music. If so, you'll be off and running. Thumbs Up

Thank you. I assume I have to wait until I finish my patrol to copy them into the gramophone folder. Robert

I DL the German Hits and they are all OGG format, so I just copy those to the gramophone folder, correct? How do I change the mp3 file that is already there (I like it) to OGG format because it will not play? It's called 830 Gramophine1.mp3
DeepSix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:
I DL the German Hits and they are all OGG format, so I just copy those to the gramophone folder, correct?

Yep Yes, and I don't think you have to wait until the end of the patrol to do so. There is so much stuff floating around for the gramophone, I usually play everything first (using something like Windows Media Player, winamp, Roxio, etc. - any .mp3 player) to see if I like it. And for each career I usually put no more than a 15-20 files in the gramophone folder; for me that's about as many as I can possibly listen to in one patrol, and (I'm guessing) way more long playing records than most real-life u-boat captains had on board. Smile

Edit -- missed this part of your post:

robj250 wrote:
How do I change the mp3 file that is already there (I like it) to OGG format because it will not play? It's called 830 Gramophine1.mp3

You'll need a sound editor program. I use the one that came with Easy CD Creator, but there are others out there, some of which are free. What's required is opening the existing .mp3 format file with the editor, then saving it with a different file extension (.ogg). Sounds a little daunting, but it's actually a very simple thing to do. One of the free sound editors should be all you need.

I would get recommendations on a good one from folks around here. Somebody around here is bound to see this and be able to give you an exact name; I think one is called "Gold" something... "Goldweave" maybe?
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepSix is correct: graphics and sound files can be changed at any time, as they have nothing to do with campaigns or gameplay.

I use Goldwave for all my conversions: free at www.goldwave.com
Funny thing is, I converted all my grammaphone tracks to .wav, just so I could adjust the volume with the computer's onboard Sound Recorder, and they play just fine in that format.
robj250

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepSix wrote:
robj250 wrote:
I DL the German Hits and they are all OGG format, so I just copy those to the gramophone folder, correct?

Yep Yes, and I don't think you have to wait until the end of the patrol to do so. There is so much stuff floating around for the gramophone, I usually play everything first (using something like Windows Media Player, winamp, Roxio, etc. - any .mp3 player) to see if I like it. And for each career I usually put no more than a 15-20 files in the gramophone folder; for me that's about as many as I can possibly listen to in one patrol, and (I'm guessing) way more long playing records than most real-life u-boat captains had on board. Smile

robj250 wrote:
How do I change the mp3 file that is already there (I like it) to OGG format because it will not play? It's called 830 Gramophine1.mp3

You'll need a sound editor program. I use the one that came with Easy CD Creator, but there are others out there, some of which are free. What's required is opening the existing .mp3 format file with the editor, then saving it with a different file extension (.ogg). Sounds a little daunting, but it's actually a very simple thing to do. One of the free sound editors should be all you need.

I would get recommendations on a good one from folks around here. Somebody around here is bound to see this and be able to give you an exact name; I think one is called "Gold" something... "Goldweave" maybe?

Yes, I have GoldWave v4.26. Perhaps that will do it. I just finished a "hairy" patrol. Attacking a large convoy in pouring rain at night and heavy fog. Man, that was some ordeal. Haven't experienced that for several patrols. But the damned destroyers kept dropping DCs all around me and I couldn't get a shot off at any of the merchants as they were passing me too darn close so I got pissed off and took out the Clemson with one torpedo at 500 metres. Then I had to try and sneek away because a Hunt I came after me. I received some deck damage but was able to get far enough away at 25 metres so I could surface several hours later. My ol' 70 yo heart was just a thumpin'. Joking Now to install those sounds and fix a mod that didn't work (Augie64 recmanualMod).
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairy patrol indeed! But you survived...can't beat that! Thumbs Up
DeepSix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at myself for calling it "Goldweave." That's probably some kind of hair care product, hehehehe. Gold Wave should work fine. And you may find that, like Steve, .wav files work just as well. In fact, mine are all Ogg Vorbis and sometimes the gramophone actually skips an entire track (it's always the same one, too, for some reason), so I may try the wave format myself.

Congrats on outwitting those destroyers!
robj250

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:
DeepSix wrote:
robj250 wrote:

robj250 wrote:

Yes, I have GoldWave v4.26. Perhaps that will do it. I just finished a "hairy" patrol. Attacking a large convoy in pouring rain at night and heavy fog. Man, that was some ordeal. Haven't experienced that for several patrols. But the damned destroyers kept dropping DCs all around me and I couldn't get a shot off at any of the merchants as they were passing me too darn close so I got pissed off and took out the Clemson with one torpedo at 500 metres. Then I had to try and sneek away because a Hunt I came after me. I received some deck damage but was able to get far enough away at 25 metres so I could surface several hours later. My ol' 70 yo heart was just a thumpin'. Joking Now to install those sounds and fix a mod that didn't work (Augie64 recmanualMod).

GoldWave would not change them because I did not have a certain file installed so I used Audacity and it worked perfectly in changing the mp3. Installed GermanHits and went through them and removed the ones I didn't want. So, now to see if the gramophone works in the next mission. Thanks for the help. Robert
robj250

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Gramophone works fine Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch guys, The gramophone works fine. Robert
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear! :sunny:

Happy hunting.
robj250

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
Great to hear! :sunny:

Happy hunting.

What I'm looking for now is the following german waves: das boot, flytheflaghigh, and the german anthym. I have them as midis for my stationary but I cannot change them Crying or Very sad Robert.
Mad_Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Sound files Reply with quote

I made the misstake off putting my MP3 sound tracks in my gramaphone folder all together and they did not work when selecting the gramaphone in game.
I then re-introduced the tracks into my gramaphone folder one at a time and all worked ok.
That may be the problem.
robj250

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound files Reply with quote

Mad_Mark wrote:
I made the misstake off putting my MP3 sound tracks in my gramaphone folder all together and they did not work when selecting the gramaphone in game.
I then re-introduced the tracks into my gramaphone folder one at a time and all worked ok.
That may be the problem.

Hi. I changed all my mp3 to OGG format and loaded them all in at once and they worked perfect. Robert.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: