Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

First Career. First patrol. 0 Alive, 46 dead.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducimus wrote:
Sailor Steve wrote:
Boats don't rust underwater. It takes air.

Eh... you sure. I was about to accept your answer but the Titanic just hit me. That thing is one big rusticle! If it takes air to rust, then every ship on the bottom wouldnt have near the rust that they do, no?

Good point. Also - there's air underwater. That's how fish breath.

Kb
bill clarke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am still in the middle of a patrol above Scarp Flow 1940,( played this one before, but had CTD and lost it) So this time I skirted towards Norway, as before I was harrased something bad by the RAF, got further this time but the aircraft appeared eventually. Well even at night they were up (guesss it was the northerly latitude) but these guys missed me every time, (can't remember what type they were), I couldn't use my 2cm, cause it was rough every time, but I'm gratefull for their inaccuracy, which I'm sure will become deadly accurate as the war progresses.
BTW, this square AN13 not many ships, and chasing em down in rough weather in my Type IIA is hard, so far, just one stinking tramp steamer. Damn
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducimus wrote:
Sailor Steve wrote:
Boats don't rust underwater. It takes air.

Eh... you sure. I was about to accept your answer but the Titanic just hit me. That thing is one big rusticle! If it takes air to rust, then every ship on the bottom wouldnt have near the rust that they do, no?

True, but it takes a lot longer. When you live at sea, you get assigned to scrape off rust and repaint. When the ship hits drydock, the bottom has almost no rust. It always grows around the joints where the paint flakes off, which is why you see it around portholes and scuttles and anchor bights...but not on the bottom.
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm getting more and more into things nautical.

Kb
svenks

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I seriously recommend keeping your threat indicator OFF. It kills the realism and turns the game arcade. You end up spending all your time watching for the indicator to change rather than scoping the tactical situation. It also makes DC evasion way cooler when you can only guess how visible you are to the enemy.

Yes, I would like to keep it off too, if it wasn't for the airplanes combined with TC. And you just can't "scope" for aircraft - while I do go through the motions of scanning the sky before surfacing, I have yet to see an airplane, and I don't expect to. They are just too small! So I keep my threat indicator, and no - it doesn't seem arcade to me Smile

BRGDS
Sven
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: