Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Hidden SH3 file messing with reinstall!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixth_iowa@mchsi.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Hidden SH3 file messing with reinstall! Reply with quote

I can't install SH3 without getting the dreaded "error 1608: Unable to create driver instance- return- code 2147024894". I originally installed the game with the fronflotille mod 2.0 but decided to try the greywolves mod. I made the mistake of uninstalling and trying to reinstall when I got the error message. I have since installed both Spinter Cell/Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow/IL2 Forgotten Battles, and the Ace Expansion Pack add-on all with no problems. Both those games are Ubisoft too.

The SH3 file in the program folder is gone as is any reference in the uninstall registry although it still shows up in the windows add/remove programs titled Silent Hunter III. The temp folder and anything SH3 related in the my documents is also gone. Everything on my computer is up to speed driver wise and I use windows automatic update.

I've used some free registry cleaners to no avil. For some reason my system restore won't solve the problem either. Anyone have any suggestions out there?
sixth_iowa@mchsi.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 views and no responses....huh???? I know someone out has had this problem and knows a solution. If not, can anyone point me in a direction to get an answer?
irish1958

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: re-install Reply with quote

i had a problem with re-install and the only way I solved it was by cleaning the install-shield key in the install-shield folder and regestry.
irish1958
sixth_iowa@mchsi.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: re-install Reply with quote

[quote="irish1958"]i had a problem with re-install and the only way I solved it was by cleaning the install-shield key in the install-shield folder and regestry.
irish1958[/quote]

Thanks Irish. I will try that when I get home from work. I take it you go to C:/program files/install-shield folder/install-shield key??? I already cleaned the registry by ctrl + F and then typing in SH3 or silent hunter 3, so that should all be cleared out.

Am I right with how to get to the install shield key?
JScones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your name your email address? If so then I know someone that'll be having spam for dinner...and breakfast...and lunch.

You might want to consider changing it. Best to try to limit your exposure to spam.
irish1958

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: re-install Reply with quote

Yes that is the path. However I would open windows explorer and follow it to the file.
If this works, this should be added to the stickey
of the trouble shooting index.

I agree with Jones about spam.

irish1958
irish1958
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: