Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Ever Met Anyone Famous?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharkstooth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paula Zahn
Oprah
Ishmael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see.

Grace Slick(lead singer of the Jefferson Airplane) at an acupuncturist in San Francisco in 1975.

John Delancie(Q from Star Trek Next Generation) at a software store in Pasadena.

John Lee Hooker at Roy Rogers' 40th birthday party at Slim's in San Francisco(not the cowboy one. This Roy used to play my high school dances. Learn more at www.roy-rogers.com )

Boz Scaggs Same place and time. Boz owns Slim's

Dennis Haysbert(the President on the TV show 24) at the Von's grocery store in Pasadena.

Bea Arthur of the TV show The Golden Girls at my wife's retinopathist's office in Beverly Hills. She took another patient's appointment rather than sit with peasants like us in the waiting room.

John Tesh TV host of Entertainment Tonight and composer/performer at his studio in North Hollywood installing a DS1 ckt for him. Got to tell him I was the Zen Master of Los Angeles. When he asked why that was, I told him,(adopting best John Huston voice)
"In the land where the car is God and plastic surgeons are kings, I'm a fat, old, bald guy driving a used Cadillac."
He liked it so much he called his wife, Connie Selleca and made me tell her over the phone. She got a kick out of it too. Really nice guy.

Oh, I almost forgot, I met George Lucas running on his mountain on Skywalker Ranch. He leases the mountaintop of Big Rock in Marin County off of Lucas Valley Road to telecomm companies to pay the taxes. I was working up there one day at one of my sites and saw this guy come running up the dirt road. As he got closer I recognized George Lucas.

My wife has me beat though. She met Elvis Presley in 1958 while he was filming the movie,"Wild In The Country" in Napa whle her mother's friend was interviewing him in his hotel room.
She says he was very nice but she didn't like him. She thought he was a greaser and she was a Ricky Nelson fan at the time anyway.

Last edited by Ishmael on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oberon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesrae wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Dunno if Jarvis Cocker from the group 'Pulp' counts as famous Wink But I served him his breakfast a year or so ago.

So Oberon...

1. Are you a waiter or did you wake up with him?

2. Did he tip (for either of the above)?

Surprised I'm a waiter Wink ...and nope, he didn't tip :hulk: It was strange though, because he looked nothing like he does in that pic...if anything he looked a lot like a hippy from the 70s. Confused Ping
Bellman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Headmaster was coopted to provide extras for a late Charles Frend film. The director of The Cruel Sea and
Scott of the Antartic needed a supply of 'grubs' for 'background 'shots.

I wont name the celebs (too specific) but one or two were amiably friendly. So friendly that we spent most of the 'off' time
gambling on what time the debonair and suave Mr X would return to the nearby religous establishment with the,
ravishing and much lusted after, film star Miss Y .

Apparently he was taking her under his wing and was giving her extra curricular instruction in architecture.
In a bell tower !! Wink
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greta Van Susteran Confused
Bellman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD: Nice - beauty and brains ? Thumbs Up

Once passed Ken Dodd asleep at an airport - I mean it was a matter of passing within feet !! Laughing
Abraham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Ever Met Anyone Famous? Reply with quote

I met a few famous people, especially when I toured US veterans through The Netherlands.
Amougst them Bob Murphy, pathfinder of the 82nd Airborne Div. One of the first men to land in France on D-Day, in the garden of an english schoolteacher lady just outside St. Mere Eglise (famous scene in The Longest Day: he said: "Shhhhh!" to her and disappeared). He later fought - and was wounded - at Nijmegen in Operation MARKET-GARDEN.
Also Lt. Gen. Harry Kinnard (101st AB Div), who told me how he suggested Gen McAuliffe to answer the German request for surrender in Bastogne with: "Your initial response was quite adequate, Sir". McAuliffe then wrote: "Nuts."
For his role during MARKET-GARDEN he got the highest Dutch decoration, the Militaire Willems Orde.
blue3golf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in Iraq I met Ted Coppel from Nightline back in 03. Also Sparky Anderson and Mickey Tettleton from Detroit Tigers.
Spoon 11th

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ever Met Anyone Famous? Reply with quote

MadMike wrote:

3. Richard Marcinko, Navy SEAL.

COOL !!!!11

I've read some of his books. A bit too macho guy, but entertaining reading.
I-25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also forgot...

Patton´s grandson (actually a friend of mine)
and hitlers direct cousin
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove skiers to the nearby resorts for several years. During that time I once had Cheech Marin and friends in my van. I also got to have a nice long conversation with James B. Sikking, who played Howard Hunter on Hill Street Blues.
Polak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lech Walesa
Alexander Kwasniewski
Gerhard Schröder
Colin Powell
Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few people... lets see... the ones i can mention that immediately come to mind are...

Christopher Reeve, at Teterboro (where i used to fly out of)... he had a beautiful Beech Baron... my son got a kick outta talking to Superman Smile

also met Ivan Dixon (Hogan's Heros)... Cliff Robertson (PT109, Spiderman) at the Teterboro... both real nice guys...

'Smokin' Joe Frazier sat down at a blackjack table, right next to me for about an hour... we chatted for a bit while the cards came, and the money went...

there are a few more, whom i'm sure most people would recognize, but i'm gonna let those meetings pass for now...

--Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: