Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

A Few NYGM Tonnage Questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enfilade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: A Few NYGM Tonnage Questions Reply with quote

I am a big fan of NYGM Tonnage War and continue to derive vast enjoyment from it (as well as the magnificent SH3 Commander). I do have a couple of questions and if someone can help out, I'd be grateful:

1. After launching a new career via Commander, should default tonnage be zero or 500? I seem to recall that I was seeing zero which seems preferable. But I've been switching between my TW install and another install with Extended Unfied Mod of late... and now I'm getting 500 tonnage when I start a new career. If this is wrong, how do I change it? [Note: I have applied the Random Tonnage fix in Ship Displacements.cfg in Commander to change ReknownAwardedEqualsRandomTonnage value to 1].

2. I posted in another thread with a request that the original RPM merchant propeller sounds from TW/RuB be retained in the GW add-on that is planned for the next TW release. This is because GreyRider's/Capt Nautilus' excellent RPM Speed Chart relies on the existing propeller hydrophone-wav files. The GW counterparts not only are terrible in quality (we're talking merchants only here) but add a lot more RPM's for each merchant, rendering the Speed Chart ineffective. I don't know that I made this latter point in my thread discussion with Observer. Counting RPM's is a great way to estimate speed. I don't want to lose this but I want the goodies contained in the GW add-on....lol.

3. And finally, any time frame on the next TW release?
Enfilade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
JetSnake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not much help but the only default number I've seen is a default renown of 500.
Observer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few NYGM Tonnage Questions Reply with quote

Enfilade wrote:
I am a big fan of NYGM Tonnage War and continue to derive vast enjoyment from it (as well as the magnificent SH3 Commander). I do have a couple of questions and if someone can help out, I'd be grateful:

1. After launching a new career via Commander, should default tonnage be zero or 500? I seem to recall that I was seeing zero which seems preferable. But I've been switching between my TW install and another install with Extended Unfied Mod of late... and now I'm getting 500 tonnage when I start a new career. If this is wrong, how do I change it? [Note: I have applied the Random Tonnage fix in Ship Displacements.cfg in Commander to change ReknownAwardedEqualsRandomTonnage value to 1].

2. I posted in another thread with a request that the original RPM merchant propeller sounds from TW/RuB be retained in the GW add-on that is planned for the next TW release. This is because GreyRider's/Capt Nautilus' excellent RPM Speed Chart relies on the existing propeller hydrophone-wav files. The GW counterparts not only are terrible in quality (we're talking merchants only here) but add a lot more RPM's for each merchant, rendering the Speed Chart ineffective. I don't know that I made this latter point in my thread discussion with Observer. Counting RPM's is a great way to estimate speed. I don't want to lose this but I want the goodies contained in the GW add-on....lol.

3. And finally, any time frame on the next TW release?

Sorry I missed it, but I just noticed this thread. To answer the questions:

1. The reason for this is the Extended Unified Campaign uses a modified flotilla.cfg. I'm not sure how this is modified from GW within the scope of the Extended Unified Campaign, but you should install the original NYGM Tonnage War flotilla.cfg (the one from the data\cfg folder) to correct the problem with starting "tonnage". The differences between the GW flotilla.cfg and the NYGM flotilla.cfg are minimal, although we will not be supporting a combined version until the next NYGM Tonnage War release.

2. For the NYGM Tonnage War - Grey Wolves Atmosphere Add-In I have evaluated most of the poor or incorrect sound files and corrected or removed them. With this being said I am not overly concerned with counting revolutions and deriving speed based on a derived turns per knot. While I understand this may be possible, it is not realistic, and was not used by U-boats as a method to determine ship speed (unless someone can prove to me they did). Further to this point, an entire sonar analytical module in modern submarine sonar suites is devoted to determining ship speed via blade count based on demodulating broadband noise (sorry...I don't remember if the module name is classified or not so I'll assume it is). In any event, due to the lack of randomization in ship screw blade count and prop pitch it is entirely too easy to determine ship speed via screw RPM.

3. I'm testing some compression schemes to get the download size reduced while we test some other areas of the mod. For those familiar with IL2, it will be ready in two weeks. Smile
Enfilade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few NYGM Tonnage Questions Reply with quote

Observer wrote:

1. The reason for this is the Extended Unified Campaign uses a modified flotilla.cfg. I'm not sure how this is modified from GW within the scope of the Extended Unified Campaign, but you should install the original NYGM Tonnage War flotilla.cfg (the one from the data\cfg folder) to correct the problem with starting "tonnage". The differences between the GW flotilla.cfg and the NYGM flotilla.cfg are minimal, although we will not be supporting a combined version until the next NYGM Tonnage War release.

To clarify point 1: I am actually getting 500 starting tonnage in my NYGM Tonnage installation as well as the Extended Unified Campaign installation. It's the NYGM issue that I was posting about as I realise that the EUC may have a different setup. However, I would like to know if zero starting tonnage is normally the default value in unmodified NYGM Tonnage and if so, how do I correct this from 500?

Re the RPM issue... I wasn't aware that counting revs was unrealistic... if so, then I will let the matter drop and go my merry way with other methods of determining speed.

And thank you again for all your fine work.. looking forward to the next TW version with the GW Add-On!
Observer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: A Few NYGM Tonnage Questions Reply with quote

Enfilade wrote:
Observer wrote:

To clarify point 1: I am actually getting 500 starting tonnage in my NYGM Tonnage installation as well as the Extended Unified Campaign installation. It's the NYGM issue that I was posting about as I realise that the EUC may have a different setup. However, I would like to know if zero starting tonnage is normally the default value in unmodified NYGM Tonnage and if so, how do I correct this from 500?

Re the RPM issue... I wasn't aware that counting revs was unrealistic... if so, then I will let the matter drop and go my merry way with other methods of determining speed.

And thank you again for all your fine work.. looking forward to the next TW version with the GW Add-On!

Hrm...you shouldn't be getting 500 renown to start with. I would suggest manually installing the flotilla.cfg file that came with NYGM TW and see if that corrects the problem. You will have to start a new career to be sure.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: