Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

"View Sensor Ranges" option.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgsuarez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: "View Sensor Ranges" option. Reply with quote

Hello.

I am totally confused with the "View Sensor Ranges" option in the Mission Editor. I need to have an idea of how far/close I can place units so that I am able to detect them. I have been fooling around with it some, but I don't fully understand. Damn Sometimes it asks me for a target platform, and then sometimes I get an error saying that the computed range is 0. What does that mean? That the sensor won't pick up the target platform at all, or that it is too far?

The controlable platform in this mission is the Akulla II (Gepard). I don't know if that matters or not... I am using 1.03 with LWAMI.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, computed range = 0 means that the editor predicts that the sensor cannot detect the target platform. I don't know whether or not the editor takes LW/Ami into consideration, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't account for acoustic conditions; it's just an approximation.
FERdeBOER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When range=0 appears is because that the sensor you have chosen isn't able to detect the ship/sub/plane... i.e.: a radar can´t detect a submerged sub; the T.A. can´t detect a building, and so on...
kgsuarez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Akula II and an Ohio class SSNB. I have placed the akula within 500 yards of the Ohio class, and when I try to display the sensor ranges I still get the "computed range = 0" error. Surprised This is happening on all of my passive sonar arrays. What the hell? How am I supposed to make a simple mission where I track and sink the Ohio class? I am totally confused. How do mission writers know how close/far to place units on the map? :shifty:
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say scrap that feature of the mission editor altogether... its probably taking crap values from the database.

Your personal experience is much more helpful, also the acoustic conditions can vary *so much* that the mission needs to be extensively tested from the initial creation onward.

Basically, start with the idea that the detections are going to happen around 10-15nm for modern subs against quiet subs and then work from there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: