Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Is LWAMI mod a cheat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think the LWAMI mod is a cheat?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
Yes and no questions are too complicated for me!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

Doc Savage

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneShot wrote:
<snip>
Hell you don't even need to exploit the game ... for example if you are playing a P-3, just load it up with DICASS to the brink and drop some neat patterns and blast away ... sooner or later you are bound to find something/someone. But is this realistic or fun? Nope ... am I playing that way ? Nope ... Do I propagate those tactics ? Nope again ...
<snip>

Is this considered cheating in MP (dropping DICASS)?
I don't play P3 much but I do like the FFG7 and I routinely make my helo drop DICASS 25-30 nm ahead of me so to get any subs out of range of my TA.
Also, like to drop DICASS deep to chase a sub above the layer...
OneShot

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using DICASS is no cheat at all. Reason why I brought this example up is that some people suggest or even tend to use exlusively DICASS to find subs. In reality most searches are done by use of passive sensors like Passive Buoys, MAD and similar things. DICASS buoys are expensive and just like with Sub or Surf active sonars they give away their position more easily then they will detect a sub. Example : You are dropping a string of DICASS and turn em active, but your opponent is still 10nm or more away. He will be able to acurately plot all of those buoys from far away while you wont see nothing on your screen. Now he has the choice to either go around your buoys or plot a course with minimal risk of detection which in turn makes our job harder.

But if you use passive sensors only to first get contact and then gain as much information as possible you can keep him in the dark as long as possible. Personnaly I use the DICASS sparsely, for example to drop it in the projected path of the sub I hunt (after I got passive contact) as a final confirmation while I'm on my attack run just short of my release point.

There are other possible uses as well, but the one thing I stay away from is flood the area with DICASS. In reality as a TACCO, once you came back from your mission and unless you really really had to find and destroy a sub, your squadron boss would ask some serious questions why you are toassing out so much money, because those things are quite expensive opposed to pure passive sensors like DIFAR and LOFAR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:

Anyone who thinks the mod is a cheat is more than welcome to keep that opinion, as its so asinine, the effort to convince them otherwise would simply be a bully job of logic and facts. And this is just a game after all, I hate to shatter a persons world unless there is a good reason. Rotfl

Neutral\

dont waste any more of your energy on this thread, LW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Doc Savage

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ OneShot's post
Ah! that makes some sense.

I suppose, with or without DICASS, my helo still has a whole bag-full of tricks to find those evil submariners, plus I have my TACTASS

Thanks for the clarification.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: