Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Is LWAMI mod a cheat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think the LWAMI mod is a cheat?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
Yes and no questions are too complicated for me!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

Bellman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He posed the question quite properly and might have added ''discuss.'' Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Bellman on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is LWAMI mod a cheat? Reply with quote

OKO wrote:
Sonoboy wrote:
I've heard that some people are calling the LWAMI mod a cheat. I'm curious to know why some people think of it that way.

I've heard that Sonoboy is a green and small E.T. coming from Andromeda.
I'm just curious to know why some people think of him that way.

Joking

What I see? People unable to discuss seriously with others about something. :down: In that way they discredit themselves in the face of others. But that's perhaps not so bad, in fact. :hmm:
Sonoboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want my opinion, I don't think LWAMI is a cheat.

When I go onto GameSpy, just about all the games hosted are standard 1.03. I asked someone about why a LWAMI game is rarely hosted, and he responded that some people think it's a cheat.

Now, I'm not at all saying that all people that host standard 1.03 games think that LWAMI is a cheat. After playing through HyperLobby, and seeing that most gameshosted there, at least when I was around, used LWAMI, I thought the trend would continue in GameSpy.

It's just an observation I had, and wanted some community feedback.
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have had the same experience at Gamespy - invariably lately the host used Stock 1.03.

Do'nt know why - will ask in future and try and convert !! I think as Molon said elsewhere players have
expectations of LwAmi performance from early version experience not appropriate to the current version.

Not an easy message to convert with so it may help if LuftWolf summarised and publicised the current situation ! Yep
OKO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
He posed the question quite properly and might have added ''discuss.'' Nothing wrong with that.

That's right, was just a small joke Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What I see? People unable to discuss seriously with others about something. In that way they discredit themselves in the face of others. But that's perhaps not so bad, in fact.

What do I see ? people taking a small joke too seriously ?
In that way they discredit themselves in the face of others. But that's perhaps not so bad, in fact.
Wink

take it easy Orm, that's not a big deal, don't take it to the first degree ... Neutral\

I used some small sarcacisms just because usual gamers at gamespy think LWAMI is a cheat when they didn't even take a look at the readme to understand why they have more problems with LWAMI than with stock DW.
In fact, LWAMI kill most of the gameplay compromise made by SCS to find a larger audience, to give more realistic settings.

In fact, this is stock DW who have some cheats compared to LWAMI ... because of this gameplay choices.

Quote:

And you were right about that.
if you want to have some fun, ask them why they think LWAMI is a cheat.
You should laught about the answers Wink
Orm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKO wrote:
Bellman wrote:

That's right, was just a small joke Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What I see? People unable to discuss seriously with others about something. In that way they discredit themselves in the face of others. But that's perhaps not so bad, in fact.

What do I see ? people taking a small joke too seriously ?
In that way they discredit themselves in the face of others. But that's perhaps not so bad, in fact.
Wink

take it easy Orm, that's not a big deal, don't take it to the first degree ... Neutral\

I used some small sarcacisms just because usual gamers at gamespy think LWAMI is a cheat when they didn't even take a look at the readme to understand why they have more problems with LWAMI than with stock DW.
In fact, LWAMI kill most of the gameplay compromise made by SCS to find a larger audience, to give more realistic settings.

In fact, this is stock DW who have some cheats compared to LWAMI ... because of this gameplay choices.

Quote:

And you were right about that.
if you want to have some fun, ask them why they think LWAMI is a cheat.
You should laught about the answers Wink

Ok lets cool off. Very Happy Peace.
On the subject. I can only say that I play with both version and enjoy with both. I win with both and get kill with both. I love so much DW in all its mod. Thumbs Up
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's happening on GameSpy and the opinions of people there are of no concern to me. Wink

Anyone who thinks the mod is a cheat is more than welcome to keep that opinion, as its so asinine, the effort to convince them otherwise would simply be a bully job of logic and facts. And this is just a game after all, I hate to shatter a persons world unless there is a good reason. Rotfl

After all, I as long as Amizaur and I are using the Mod, we are fulfilling out initial goal in making it, so I'm happy with that. The fact that I can play all my MP games using LWAMI is a nice plus, of course, but keeping it in perspective with the intial reasons for making LWAMI, it is an example of wild success, rather than what *should* have been, in my mind anyway.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be flippant, but on the plus side, it is good that Gamespy is being used.

On the downside, I think the doctrine level cheating problem is quite widespread there. Not my kind of place, where widely accepted open-source mods are considered cheats (newbies beware the scourge of LWAMI!) and hosts alter their doctrine and mission files. :down:
goldorak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
Not to be flippant, but on the plus side, it is good that Gamespy is being used.

On the downside, I think the doctrine level cheating problem is quite widespread there. Not my kind of place, where widely accepted open-source mods are considered cheats (newbies beware the scourge of LWAMI!) and hosts alter their doctrine and mission files. :down:

A little bit (ok not so little bit) of lobbying for scs to fix the doctrine file issue would be Thumbs Up
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:

A little bit (ok not so little bit) of lobbying for scs to fix the doctrine file issue would be Thumbs Up

Done. Wink Thumbs Up
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After another deeply unpleasant experience in Gamespy on Stock 1.03
I shant be revisiting there Surprised

Makes the Bronx and Soho look cosy. :down: Damn :hulk:
goldorak

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
After another deeply unpleasant experience in Gamespy on Stock 1.03
I shant be revisiting there Surprised

Makes the Bronx and Soho look cosy. :down: Damn :hulk:

Whats your unpleasant experience ?
Host that is cheating ?
People disconecting during the game without reason ?
Platforms firing tens of torpedos in a random way ?

How about people coming back to hyperlobby ?
It has been a desert for several months now (at least during the evening hours CET).
OneShot

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as LwAmi being a cheat ... well thats a non-brainer as of course it is no cheat. Actually it helps leveling the playing field a lot (for all parties, ie platforms involved).

As far as cheating goes, well if someone feels the need to compensate for his lack of understanding of what the game is about and how you actually play it, then so be it. But don't expect me to play another round with that guy/gal (to be PC here). Hell you don't even need to exploit the game ... for example if you are playing a P-3, just load it up with DICASS to the brink and drop some neat patterns and blast away ... sooner or later you are bound to find something/someone. But is this realistic or fun? Nope ... am I playing that way ? Nope ... Do I propagate those tactics ? Nope again ...

I was told by another player that playing the P-3 with the above mentioned tactic would be too easy ... I said, then stop playing that way and try to aquire your prey with Passive sensors only. His response was expectably .. No thats to difficult. And on top of that, this exact same player prefers to play with 1 or more other players all preferably in Akulas or Kilos (with Stallion/SS-N-27s/Klub), coordinating happily away to lob the aforementioned weapons from far off towards usually non-SUBROC capable US subs. Now that sounds like fun ...

Bottom Line ... I don't condem a certain place (like GS or HL), but I choose with whom and when I play to get the most out of my free time and the most out of my gaming experience.

Last edited by OneShot on Mon May 01, 2006 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G: See ''idiosyncracies'' here and posts at Sonalysts Forums.

Further details of my 'recent' would prejudice my anonymity and be acrimonius.
The first I value the second would be very bad form !

Despite unwarranted aspersions against LwAmi I have to say at GS every single 'bad experience'
has been with hosters of Stock. Fact.

Its Fleet play and MP with trusted players only, for me in future, or abstinence !
I expect this to be a minority viewpont ! Ping Laughing

Last edited by Bellman on Mon May 01, 2006 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
goldorak

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
G: See ''idiosyncracies'' here and posts at Sonalysts Forums.

Further details of my 'recent' would prejudice my anonymity and be acrimonius.
The first I value the second would be very bad form !

Its Fleet play and MP with trusted players only, for me in future, or abstinence !
I expect this to be a minority viewpont !
Ping Laughing

I don't think that is a minority viewpoint.
Its a natural consequence of the game going mainstream that a lot of new players want the "shoot everything in sight experience", the point is either you find a number of honest players who stick to realistic tactics or try to enroll in some virtual fleet.
I enjoyed playing a lot realistic multistation mp scenarios made by Furia, but now its several months he doesn't propose anything Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: