Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

8kts, 17m, Akula Periscope destroyed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drEaPer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: 8kts, 17m, Akula Periscope destroyed Reply with quote

Like the title sais.

The reference sais I can go up to 10kts and 20m deep.
Dont get it. There was no stormy weather, no waves... All was calm.... Bug?

cya
drEaPer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont feel like opening up another thread so I post it in here even thought it has nothing to do with the topic:

Is there a change to the missile warning system in 1.03? I seem to get a missile warning only about 2 seconds before impact when flying a P3. Are there any factors that influence missile warning effectiveness?

Thx!
Sonoboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your GameSpy username? I'm sure I heard those exact two complaints today.

It says in the manual that I can go 10kts with my radio and esm masts up. I didn't know I was at 10kts at the time. I swear, if I knew what speed I was going, I would have slowed down, but my masts still broke! Luckily, I still had the periscope. Stupid mission designer.

As for missiles, I got shot down twice tonight. Once, there was no warning. The other, I got a warning well in advance, but it did me no good anyways, as CMs were ineffective.

Another thing is that it shouldn't give you a warning when locked on with IR seekers, or was that my immagination?
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear dear dear....................Akula 8 knots periscope up my god man no way would that periscope hold out.

As a seasoned akula skipper i never go above 5 knots with periscope and 18 meters is periscope depth (if using all the mast's) the manual is out of date the game has been updated since its release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deathblow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 8kts, 17m, Akula Periscope destroyed Reply with quote

drEaPer wrote:
Like the title sais.

The reference sais I can go up to 10kts and 20m deep.
Dont get it. There was no stormy weather, no waves... All was calm.... Bug?

cya

If the map has a current associated with it (some mission designs script in a 1-3kt current to the map) the current will add to the "relative" speed of your mast and the mast will break. Same with towed arrays. If you notice your towed array is not exactlly line up straight behind you, but is instead deployed at a odd angle, its a sign that their is a current in play.

Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missile lock warnings have always been spotty, and yes, SCS had a massive brainfart and put them in for passive homing missiles. :hulk:
Deathblow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molon Labe wrote:
The missile lock warnings have always been spotty, and yes, SCS had a massive brainfart and put them in for passive homing missiles. :hulk:

:dead: :doh:
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molon Labe wrote:

Not sure it was accidental. Lots of flightsims put in those warnings, those where you have the option of not having those warnings are probably less common. It makes it easier for the player.

Not that having such warnings is necessarily unrealistic, as there are systems that can detect incoming missiles (but they aren't fitted to most aircraft), or it could be your crew scanning the surrounding area for smoke trails.
goldorak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wim Libaers wrote:

Not sure it was accidental. Lots of flightsims put in those warnings, those where you have the option of not having those warnings are probably less common. It makes it easier for the player.

Not that having such warnings is necessarily unrealistic, as there are systems that can detect incoming missiles (but they aren't fitted to most aircraft), or it could be your crew scanning the surrounding area for smoke trails.

Well, in Falcon 4 the only way you will get notified of an ir sam coming your way is to look out of the canopy always Rotfl
No automatic system whatsoever.
So ir sam detection in dw is unrealistic (albeit somewhat helpful).
The pilot or co-polit should continuosly scan the surface of the sea for the missile trails.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wim Libaers wrote:
Molon Labe wrote:

Flight sims only did this when they were pretty new. I know USNF had the "feature" but by FA-18 this appears to have stopped.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno guys... P-3 and MH60 have a *crew* as opposed to single seat fighter aircraft.

I have no problem with passive warnings, considering I spend essential 0% of my time in aircraft staring out the window smearing boogers on the wall.
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:

Well, in Falcon 4 the only way you will get notified of an ir sam coming your way is to look out of the canopy always Rotfl
No automatic system whatsoever.
So ir sam detection in dw is unrealistic (albeit somewhat helpful).
The pilot or co-polit should continuosly scan the surface of the sea for the missile trails.

Molon Labe wrote:

Flight sims only did this when they were pretty new. I know USNF had the "feature" but by FA-18 this appears to have stopped.

Both Jane's F/A-18 and Falcon 4 have something like this, but it's not integrated in the RWR, but with voice warnings. It can also be disabled with the game options or depends on version for Falcon, the famous "Archer inbound" message).
BigBadVuk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both old falcon f4 and new Allied Force(remake) if there is wingman near u and u r low enough to be shooted at u will in most cases hear RADIO warrning(no rwr or any other miracle device capable of detecting passive sensors in IR sam)like SAM 4`o clock or just SAM launch north,etc...Eventualy if u r in dog fight u will hear archer inbound etc....But again there is no way to detect(beside visual) passive IR,like there is no way to detect passive sonnar! Damn
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the details in F4, but in F/A-18 I'm pretty sure there was an option to get voice warnings about incoming missiles, even IR, and without any friendlies nearby. It wouldn't be done at high realism settings though.

And indeed, passive IR homers cannot be detected by their seekers, but the missile itself is still detectable. The systems just aren't put on most aircraft.
OKO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadVuk wrote:
....But again there is no way to detect(beside visual) passive IR,like there is no way to detect passive sonnar! Damn

As stated above some aircraft are equiped with active and passive defense system against IR missile

I only know the french systems enought to talk about it (don't know ROW systems here) =>

active system is named DAM (detecteur d'arrivée missile)
It consist on several very small radars around the plane, creating a radar bubble, scanning in some kilometers around the plane to find if there is any objects with an interception course on your plane.

passive system is named DDM (detecteur de départ missile) and watch for any big flash that could be a missile ignition.

Both system work together (DDM find a suspect flash and alert the crew while radar bubble give informations on the trajectory of the missiles)
Both are installed on the Rafale, and will be installed on all french military air transports (already installed on some)

Civilian company, especially Israelians, are very interested in these systems, and you could be sure some civilians, especially in dangerous area, will be equipped soon.

But I doubt a lot these systems could be already installed on the MH-60.
certainly on attack choppers, especially latest ones (radar bubble shouldn't be easy to create if you didn't built it on the original chopper plans), but not on the ""quite old"" MH-60.

I quite believe this is implemented on the Comanche and on the Tiger.
So crutial for them, perfect slow target for missiles, even if they already have a very very small IR signature ...
Because maybe old IR SAM are quite easy to deceive, but new generation use shape recognition and are much more difficult to deceive once locked.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: