Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Range to target
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robj250

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Range to target Reply with quote

Is there a mod that will tell me the distance to a target is metres instead of long range, medium range and short range? If there is, where do I obtain it? Thanks. Robert
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Range to target Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:
Is there a mod that will tell me the distance to a target is metres instead of long range, medium range and short range? If there is, where do I obtain it? Thanks. Robert

Not that I know of. But I your watch office is on the conning tower, you can click the officer icon and ask the range to closest visual target.
Dimitrius07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep its true but its not realistic :down: :down: :8Cool
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobJ250. The system short-medium-long is very realistic. At least much more realistic than it would be if your hydrophone operator would tell you: "Ahoy, Skipper! Frachter coming close, distance 2581 meters!" :huh:

In contacts_cfg (Silent Hunter/Data/Cfg) you can take a look or adjust values in every "category" = short range could be for example up to 2000 meters, medium up to 10 000 meters and long over 10 000 meters.

Greetings,

-RC-
robj250

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosencrantz wrote:
RobJ250. The system short-medium-long is very realistic. At least much more realistic than it would be if your hydrophone operator would tell you: "Ahoy, Skipper! Frachter coming close, distance 2581 meters!" :huh:

In contacts_cfg (Silent Hunter/Data/Cfg) you can take a look or adjust values in every "category" = short range could be for example up to 2000 meters, medium up to 10 000 meters and long over 10 000 meters.

Greetings,

-RC-

I'm positive, when I installed a bunch of mods that made my program crash, that I came across a mod that gave the range on metres. What does the mod T2Rangemod do? Thanks. Robert
vois2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question has been hashed out a lot in the forums since the game's release in late March 2005. Many people argue that it is indeed 'realistic' to ask the watch officer for the range to nearest target, because this sums up the work of several officers who would have been plotting and range-finding as their duties.

Those determined to do so can always find the range by themselves. The stadimeter on the periscope and uzo device can be used once a target has been identified. Of course it's a bear to use in heavy seas.

I'm not aware of a mod which relieves us of the need to click on the watch officer and then ask in his submenu for range to nearest target. But they may well be such a mod.

Like most interested players, I first learned the whole routine, acting as if I were the only officer on board and responsible for all calculations from 'A' to 'Z'. This is fun and rewarding for a while but can be a massive investment of time. These days, like so many others, I simply never worry about range. I find the target's rough course, and set in for a rough 90 attack, and fire when I have my sub in good firing position and less then about visual 700m or so.
robj250

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vois2 wrote:
This question has been hashed out a lot in the forums since the game's release in late March 2005. Many people argue that it is indeed 'realistic' to ask the watch officer for the range to nearest target, because this sums up the work of several officers who would have been plotting and range-finding as their duties.

Those determined to do so can always find the range by themselves. The stadimeter on the periscope and uzo device can be used once a target has been identified. Of course it's a bear to use in heavy seas.

I'm not aware of a mod which relieves us of the need to click on the watch officer and then ask in his submenu for range to nearest target. But they may well be such a mod.

Like most interested players, I first learned the whole routine, acting as if I were the only officer on board and responsible for all calculations from 'A' to 'Z'. This is fun and rewarding for a while but can be a massive investment of time. These days, like so many others, I simply never worry about range. I find the target's rough course, and set in for a rough 90 attack, and fire when I have my sub in good firing position and less then about visual 700m or so.

Will try that. I snuck close to the convoy bearing right on at 180 at flank speed and when I got reasonably close I took out two small merchants, G7a torpedoes, 1 metre depth, fast running at a distance varying from 3,000 to 2,000m. I big problem is taking out the Clemson Destroyer which has moved way behind my sub and is just moving around, no pinging. I have not been spotted, fet Very Happy
vois2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the old days, in April and May of 2005, when everyone was still quite new to the game, there were so many great notions floating around to use the elements of planar geometry to determine detection and interception angles. There was really beautiful geometry out there integrating estimated target speeds and vectors to easily find the best track. Though it seems unlikely, range to target always ended up being the least useful variable for practical purposes.

Now, with regard to convoys, you should be able to always target only the middle two or three lanes, where all the juicy targets are located. This requires you to 'pop up' in between the lanes themselves, with a row of targets about 300m to your bow and a second nice row of targets about 300m behind you, to the stern. You can then fire the bow and stern torp at the same time, and no more fiddling with small merchants -- you'll be taking out huge oil tankers and troop transports and perhaps even battle cruisers in the middle convoy lanes. If you'd like help with that notion, just email.
robj250

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vois2 wrote:
Back in the old days, in April and May of 2005, when everyone was still quite new to the game, there were so many great notions floating around to use the elements of planar geometry to determine detection and interception angles. There was really beautiful geometry out there integrating estimated target speeds and vectors to easily find the best track. Though it seems unlikely, range to target always ended up being the least useful variable for practical purposes.

Now, with regard to convoys, you should be able to always target only the middle two or three lanes, where all the juicy targets are located. This requires you to 'pop up' in between the lanes themselves, with a row of targets about 300m to your bow and a second nice row of targets about 300m behind you, to the stern. You can then fire the bow and stern torp at the same time, and no more fiddling with small merchants -- you'll be taking out huge oil tankers and troop transports and perhaps even battle cruisers in the middle convoy lanes. If you'd like help with that notion, just email.

Thanks for the info, and I have no questions at the moment. However, I do have to get rid of that darn mast in front. and get rid of the words "Game Paused" that appears on the screen when I pause the game. Robert
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:

I'm positive, when I installed a bunch of mods that made my program crash, that I came across a mod that gave the range on metres. What does the mod T2Rangemod do? Thanks. Robert

IIRC, the T2Rangemod is an obsolete mod that fixes the range of the TII electric torpedos from 1800 to 5000(?). This was fixed a long ago, I believe, with one of the official updates.
robj250

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: The "GAME PAUSED" screen Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for informing me that it is an obsolete mod. I will not bother installing it. Do you know how to stop the words "GAME PAUSED" from appearing when the game is paused. It has to do with removing those words in a cfg file somewhere but I cannot remember. Robert.
robj250

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The "GAME PAUSED" screen Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:
Hi. Thanks for informing me that it is an obsolete mod. I will not bother installing it. Do you know how to stop the words "GAME PAUSED" from appearing when the game is paused. It has to do with removing those words in a cfg file somewhere but I cannot remember. Robert.

YES THERE IS, I found it = Go into your "\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\" directory and open up the file in there called en_menu.txt (assuming of course you are using the english version) and at line 90 you will see the "game paused" string. Delete the text but leave the bit that says "90=", save the file and thats it no more game paused text in game.
Krieg-Schwein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an other way to get the exact distance from any target and keep it there when ever you need it..

In the set key program (Get at http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/ in the general section) to assign your own custom shortcut keys look for (Sonar Ping) and set it to {Crew and what ever key you want}. Then in game when you come across a ship go to the hydrophone and find the target you want then use the shortcut you made for (Sonar Ping) and it will give you the exact distance from the target every time you hit your Short cut key,
However it wont give you the bearing and if you go back to the Hydrophone you will lose the target, but you can go deep and use the ping to find out how far the target is from you at any time as long as you are not on the hydrophone. This is real nice trick to know if you are being pursued by a Destroyer, but you can only ping 1 target at a time so if 2 or more are after you then you can only keep an eye on one
robj250

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krieg-Schwein wrote:
There is an other way to get the exact distance from any target and keep it there when ever you need it..

In the set key program (Get at http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/ in the general section) to assign your own custom shortcut keys look for (Sonar Ping) and set it to {Crew and what ever key you want}. Then in game when you come across a ship go to the hydrophone and find the target you want then use the shortcut you made for (Sonar Ping) and it will give you the exact distance from the target every time you hit your Short cut key,
However it wont give you the bearing and if you go back to the Hydrophone you will lose the target, but you can go deep and use the ping to find out how far the target is from you at any time as long as you are not on the hydrophone. This is real nice trick to know if you are being pursued by a Destroyer, but you can only ping 1 target at a time so if 2 or more are after you then you can only keep an eye on one

Thanks for the information. A question, do you know where I can obtain the various emblems to put on my conning tower?
Krieg-Schwein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robj250 wrote:
Krieg-Schwein wrote:

Thanks for the information. A question, do you know where I can obtain the various emblems to put on my conning tower?

You should be able to find that at http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/ also...Good Luck!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: