Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Resources
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Resources Reply with quote

When you play DW or SC what resources do you have next to the computer e.g. ping list,weapons table etc?
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coke.

The lack of anything else may explain my success rate. :hmm:
OneShot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I had the manual, Frequency list, a calculator, lots of white paper and stuff like that next to me (not to forget a bunch of notes). Nowadays I rely on memory and my intuition at least as far as the airborne platforms go. If I play a sub or the FFG then its back to square one with manual and all the stuff I can get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following :-

1. X-keys keyboard - allows one key macros. Switchable 2 layers - one for Subs one for Heli.

2. A vertical noteholder unit at each side of the monitor, with.......

3. Flip-Frame transpareny protectors* modified to hold 'Check-Lists'
(Several - Cavitation, Sub max/mins etc.)
* Acquired from a clearance cut-price shop for peanuts - nobody there new what the heck they were for. Laughing

4. Magnetic board featuring a manual sonar progress system.

5. Headphones & mike.

6. A nodding old Moose on top of monitor 1 and Pengun rocker paused to launch from the top of the
other momitor.(sic) **

7. A large mug of tea.

** Very sensitive signal receptors - one starts nodding vigorously the other leaps into space as the
wife stomps into range Wink A Momitor is a must !! :hulk:

PS. I suspect the young and talented dont need such clobber !!
goldorak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use only the frequency list and from time to time the manual when I forget the weapons characteristics. Embarassed
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing There are now 4 ways to do things !

Joking
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i play i have a drink, and my blue folder which contains 3 manuals ping list's ect.

I rarely use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee, and a sheet with range conversions (miles to yards, yards to miles).
Headset.
And I ike to have a nodding moose. Laughing
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Resources Reply with quote

Linton wrote:
When you play DW or SC what resources do you have next to the computer e.g. ping list,weapons table etc?

-Hot tea

-My laptop, with my ASW planning spreadsheet for quick an easy calculation of various things that seem to pop up again and again (limiting lines of approach, CPA course, CPA distance, barrier effectiveness, area search effectiveness...). It's mostly navigational kinds of issues. Also I have the frequency list opened.

-A stopwatch.

-A scientific calculator.

-One of the hats I've collected from vessels I've visited. You gotta have the hat. Neutral\

-Lately, Die Zauberflote has been essential operating equipment as well. I'm all about all of that coloratura.
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it - I must make a severe protest about the interpretation of 'resources,' SQ. Very Happy

Any piece of equipment acting as an advanced warning device like my moose can be interpreted as a neo-military
resource - an adjunct to intensive military gaming in the face of severe 'local opposition !. But the divine
and gentle Mozart is hardly conducive to simulated military perations. The soporiphic relaxed mood induced
is not appropriate to putting blood in the water.
I know the Admiral, who the lads nickname Sarastro, prefers the 'Twilight of the Gods.' It is that sort of music,
he says, that inspires and stiffens resolve ! :hulk: Mind you the 'ole f*rt aint into Opera or he'd run with
'Don Giovanni, a cenar teco' - the darker sides Commendatore would be right up his creek !

Hat use is one of those things we dont talk about - its for the late, late show. But it can happen ! Wink
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have maps that i use frequently during long patrols and trail missions, they help me project the likelyhood of where my target is going and also helps rule out the areas where some submarines cant go.

Main area of operations being along the Lomonosov ridge under ice, it runs from greenland about 900 miles from baffin bay heading down to the pacific rim via north pole ending in the far east siberia about 2000 miles from the chukchi sea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bellman has lost it-perhaps we should rechristen him quasimodo as he was a bit mad due to his bells!Perhaps he had a heavy lunch of spam.Kapitan where do you get your charts,and what scale are they?Do you find them useful?What manuals do you have in your folder?
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL questions questions

Iuse maps i find on the internet they are mainly of under ice ridges and hiding points, and also choke points i make up, i find them useful in missions such as close in trail, transit and a few other types of mission, they also help me project where you are most likely to go.

They are A4 size however i could get them larger and admiralty charts which are too big so A4 is a very good size.

In my book i have the FFG guide, blue book of submarine ops, verious ping and aquisition charts as well as sonar profiles and pictures, also my under ice guide and now the revised guide.

If you want we can try a track and trail, non combat mission and see how well these charts work, i can send you them also.
Linton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you give the address of the chart publishers to save some googling?
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant it was a long time ago in fact way back to when DW was first released, i can scan and email them to you though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: