Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Teach Me all Ye Learn'd minds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momar69

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Teach Me all Ye Learn'd minds Reply with quote

Hello all, im quite new to the game and this forum so I just wanted to introduce myself.

Anyway, im mainly a flight sim guy but I did own and love 688i, although like i do in this game, stink. Im wondering what the best approach is to learn this daunting task. Ive printed off the manual and DL'd all the tatic guides i could find but was wondering if their were any actual training missions that have been created? I loved the ability in Janes F-18 to make narated training missions and they helped a lot, is their anything out there like that?

Overall I know its something im just going to have to figure out, but things like these help a lot. Its pretty freaking intimidating looking at the FFG's broadband array for the first time and muttering "what in the blue hell is this?" Laughing

PS: Im patched all the way up and have the LAWMI ?? Realism mod, plus new sounds. Ive also checked the stickys over so i should be good in that respect.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are fleets out there, and many of us here can help train you too.

PS see in box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Momar69

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, first off I guess where do I start? I mean I know the basics from 688i, so in that regard I should be alright, but is it just a case of reading the manual then setting up situations in the quick mission editor or is their a better way?? SOrry for the newbie questions, I mean I learned Falcon 4.0, so this should be a sinch compared to that, but water warfare is pretty forign to me.

Also multiplayer is also pretty forign. The only games ive played online is Operation Flashpoint, Rainbow Six and Enemy Engaged: Commanche Vs. Hokum...But we'll worry about that when I know the differnce between a DICASS and VLAD sonobouy Very Happy
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a new player, I would also recommend you go to the Subguru's site and download "Bellman's - Sonar Visual Aid Kit". Build one of these things. I did, and it helped me learn to visualize the battlespace better, and increased my underwater situational awareness.

If you're going to want to learn the intracacies of TMA, get TopTorp's TMA guide.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you want to work on. =)

There are a ton of missions available at subguru.com that you can download and use; they're much better than quick missions. The stock missions aren't bad when you're just getting started either.

For tactical discussions, check out the CADC's Tips and Tricks Vault: http://www.orionwarrior.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Momar69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is my first day really trying to get things done. ive read through the FFG training section while playing the game and think ive made some progress, however when I deployed some DICASS and DIFAR and VCLAD Bouys I couldnt get them to change mode from OMI to Directional or active (I forget which one does which, but none of them would change modes, no matter what type of bouy). I had an empty Gram below it but the mode button just stayed greyed out. Any Help on this one? Im also finding it hard to work the sonar, not because its confusing (well its extremely confusing, but i expected that), but because I cant pick up any contacts to try out my skills at tracking, classifying and resolving them. Anyone know of any missions where the area is just swimming with activity that I can test my skills on that cant hurt me right off the bat Very Happy

Im not sure if what im doing is the right way to learn this stuff, so any more tips would be great, and I hope to learn quick so I can get online and see you guys on the seas.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're using the grams on the left, and check the ship/air mode switch (set it to whichever is in range).
Momar69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the grams on the left were only for Bouys dropped by the P-3's or the MH-60s??

And I just got through the MH-60s training missions. I did the same misson from the Demo, didnt beat it or even find the sub...so far im just trying to get everything to function and do a few basic tasks like set some waypoints and whatnot. Next is onto the P3. When I get through this then I'll try to actually beat the Missions.

*Edit* Yup you were right, i missed the switch in the bottem left to change modes to make all 8 grams to ship. I guess you just cant change the right hand side bouy modes?
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have other people already that I'm tutoring. I'm figuring, why not one more? Very Happy

What's more, I'm proficient with all the playables.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i ask what platform you realy want to play in the most, also what area of ops you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momar69 wrote:
i missed the switch in the bottem left to change modes to make all 8 grams to ship. I guess you just cant change the right hand side bouy modes?

No, they're always omni - or better: I force it to use the right side grams when it requires a "helper", switching left side grams' modes.
Momar69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:
Can i ask what platform you realy want to play in the most, also what area of ops you want.

To be honest im not really sure what I want to do most. So far ive enjoyed each platform and the different aspects of it. I can see developing a favorite a little later on when I learn the intracacies of the game a lot better, but right now im just enjoying learning it all.

The tutoring sounds great but to be honest since ive started really diving into the manual instead of sitting there complaining how damn big it looks ive found half the fun is in the learning. Right now I think im going to try to get as far as I can and then I can be almost gaurenteed to come see you out for that little push. Right now I know "How it works" for most things, just not how to use it to actaully do what I need to do. Plus like you said you already have a few people so i wouldnt want to be one more to worry about Very Happy . Later on be forwarned that I may retract everything i just said and come crawling back to you muttering F-Bombs and smashing things when I cant get the TMA to work a solution with an aircraft carrier witting right infront of me Very Happy
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its all good doing the theory side but you do need experiance practicaly, take driving a car if i could do my test just by writing on a piece of paper hell the roads would be so dangerous.

Submarine warfare is not 100% what you know its what you can do.
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:
Submarine warfare is not 100% what you know its what you can do.

Which is why I don't win all the time Rotfl Joking
Kapitan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always some one out there better or some one who just has a lucky day.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: