Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Is one MOD better?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc1962

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Is one MOD better? Reply with quote

I noticed the new GW1.1 MOD has been released. I'm new to the game and was wondering how it comprares or is different from the IUB MOD? Is there a consensus on one better than the other? I am looking for the most realistic experence possible with real convoys etc and the or course the best graphics possilbe.

Thanks in advance!
irish1958

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Better Reply with quote

Both mods are wonderful. GW and IUB 1.03 contain much the same combination of mods, and both have an update.
I have both on my computer and I really don't like one more than the other.
Install both and play them both. Which you like will be an personel choice.
The tonnage mod is also very good, and can be combined with GW, and adds more realism.

Of course, you should use JSGME and CMDR SH3
irish1958
dc1962

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I've loaded IUB 1.03 and really like the graphics and the look, but in four patrols in 1943, I never once was attacked by an aircraft. Clearly something seemed admiss with it.
Beery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc1962 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I've loaded IUB 1.03 and really like the graphics and the look, but in four patrols in 1943, I never once was attacked by an aircraft. Clearly something seemed admiss with it.

It's about the silliest thing about SH3, but aircraft attacks are governed mainly by your time compress settings. Many mods use similar methods for adjusting the number and frequency of air attacks, but if you're frequently running at high time compress settings you won't get many air attacks no matter what mod you choose. This is the case with SH3 unmodded, and with RUb, IUb, NYGM and GW.

Having said that, it's also important to note that the fact that air attacks were common in 1943 does not mean that they were a part of every patrol. Sometimes patrols were completely uneventful even in 1944 and 1945 when the Allies were putting a vast number of aircraft in the air.

Last edited by Beery on Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Montbrun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beery wrote:
dc1962 wrote:

It's about the silliest thing about SH3, but aircraft attacks are governed mainly by your time compress settings. Many mods use similar methods for adjusting the number and frequency of air attacks, but if you're frequently running at high time compress settings you won't get many air attacks no matter what mod you choose. This is the case with SH3 unmodded, and with RUb, IUb, NYGM and GW.

I read somewhere else on here that the max is 256 for air attacks and spawns.
Beery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montbrun wrote:
I read somewhere else on here that the max is 256 for air attacks and spawns.

I believe that's right.
Frenssen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I think is strange is that I experienced a lot more air attacks in the original game before patches and mods. Patrols in 43-45 were very hard to survive. Now I never feel threatened if I have the latest radar detection device. If I detect radar signals it^s always a DD, never an aircraft.
Beery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenssen wrote:
One thing I think is strange is that I experienced a lot more air attacks in the original game before patches and mods...

Well, in RUb we significantly INCREASED the threat from air attack because it was clear that the threat from the air was grossly understated. As I've said before, it all depends on what time compression settings you're using. It may be that, at the beginning, you used low TC settings because the game was new, and as the game became less of a novelty the (subconscious) tendency to use high TC settings may have increased. This would lead to the kind of experience you report. It could also be that you've simply got better at the game - it took me a while to figure out how to avoid detection by enemy aircraft. One thing is certain, most mods increase air attack probabilities, and as far as I know, no mod has decreased them.
Heibges

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beery wrote:
dc1962 wrote:

Having said that, it's also important to note that the fact that air attacks were common in 1943 does not mean that they were a part of every patrol. Sometimes patrols were completely uneventful even in 1944 and 1945 when the Allies were putting a vast number of aircraft in the air.

I hear a lot of folks say this about time compression, but I use just RuB1.45, and cross the Bay at 512TC or 1014, and by May 1943 I am attacked 5 or 6 times while crossing the bay regardless of TC.

I have been attacked within 1 minute of surfacing many times. Even in 1942, I will get attacked maybe once or even twice while crossing the bay.

I have also scouted out the limit of air cover in several patrols, and while in one grid I was attacked every hour by aircraft, I moved one grid south and there were no aircraft at all.
Beery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heibges wrote:
I hear a lot of folks say this about time compression, but I use just RuB1.45, and cross the Bay at 512TC or 1014, and by May 1943 I am attacked 5 or 6 times while crossing the bay regardless of TC....

It may also have to do with processing power. Some computers may be able to handle high TC settings better than others, so the air strikes will be generated more frequently.
Heibges

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm glad that I waited and got this PC just before SH3 came out.

P4 3.0
1G Ram
Pny Nvidea 6800gt
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: