Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

HOLLYWOOD CHAOS Completed template available (1st post)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gouldjg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chaos Blog has been updated.

Take a moment to re read the first thread.

After 20hrs work non stop I am going to bed :lurk:
Georg_Unterberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

excellent work! I will use your template to randomize enemy AI values a little bit.

There are a lot of possibilities! thanks gouldjg!
gouldjg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Georg

I am currently researching the DD thread but am sticking to where I was getting better results for myself rather than thinking on a team basis think for the community again. No one mod is going top please everyone.

I had a fairly basic and sound setup but as it was a fixed number it then became too predicatble. Now with random and probability I can set a very basic set of settings but then deviate either way so no longer predictable as much yet still pretty close to history settings.

The uber tracking dd no longer bother me as I am hoping thermal may help in that area anyway. We all got to die sometime.

The pin point can be slightly deviated to be a range of close and far shots. Again this all depends on random or probability. I also got a setting to allow a simulated mixture of depth error. If I can get it close I am considering reducing the DC range to the 6 mtr and possibly reducing the strengh. Again randomised but hopefully with a realsitic feel rather than changing a sub game to a complete different set of rules than what actually happened.

I want better hydrophones and thats a definate.

Sonar arcs can be randomised same goes for visual. I may even randomise the periscope height settings so I can never be sure when I get spotted. At the moment My perscope is right out of the water yet DD pass bye unknowing??????? WHAT was that line of thought ????

Anyway, if you find anything good let us know and good luck with your chaos experience.
HawkerT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos master and do-it-yourself modding mentor extraordinaire gouldjg wrote:
... After 20hrs work non stop I am going to bed

Dear gouldjg.

I am a SH3 newbie and have been playing ... or rather ... investigating the game for a couple of month now and quietly learning the ropes and lurking this forum and it's many spinoffs.

I have been trying to sort out the positively HUGE amount of major and minor mods and what general portfolio of mods to choose to get the best possible game experience. As such I see three main paths namely GW, NYGM or mix'n'mod-it-yourself. However, I have come to view the combined randomization efforts from you Sir, JSCones and Hemisent via SH3 Cmdr as an absolute must on top of any chosen main path. You gentlemen are working wonders and I regard your work as the subtle invisible spice that makes or breaks the dish ... THE BRIGHT SIDE OF THE FORCE !!!

So I must admit that I have been following your posts very carefully and must confess to being very symphathetic towards your approach and way of thinking about the whole realism vs. gameplay issue. I am therefore aiming at hooking the bait when the upcoming NYGM v2.0 surfaces and then adding 'THE FORCE' on top.

So please Sir, do not stop your marvelous Hollywood extravaganza. I went to your blog today and read your last comment to the 1.10 thread in which you hint towards premature burnout due to lack of community interest. I for one am very interested and very appreciative of your efforts. I would very much love to see 'THE FORCE' turned into a proper mod shining on top of NYGM v2.0.

I really think you are onto something extremely important, and if your Hollywood template could be utilized by you and others in the know (this community has plenty!!!) then the proper values could be aggreed upon and we could all benefit and have easlily implemented, randomized yet realistic (still remembering gameplay) behavoir of ships, crews, guns, munitions, environment etc. ... modding at it's best!

So please Sir! Grab some well deserved R&R and make sure the important things in life are still cool, but then come back to finish your great endeavour in style with an attitude best described with a corny Hollywood movie quote:

<Scene> Pappa bull and sonny bull standing on hill top overlooking a heard of cows below.
<Sonny bull> Daddy! Daddy! Let's RUN down and f**k a cow!
<Pappa bull> No son! Let's WALK down and f**k'em all!

Sincerely, HawkerT

Last edited by HawkerT on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
HawkerT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post by newbie ... go figure Rolling Eyes
gouldjg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

I better change that post, it sound worse than it is supposed to.

I am not quitting the project at all but just relaxing for a bit, I just spent the last few weeks visualising and sorting things since Jscones gave us the ability. There is no way I am going to leave it lol.

The template is complete on my end for the moment and is available for the interested to explore possibles and exploits. I will be working on my end as I build my completed model. I have yet to decide what major mod to go with and am awaiting NYGM v2. I like realism but still want a bit of controlled random thrown in.

I am just taking a breather for a while and playing with my new toy Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

I am building my AI changes first but after the DD thread fiasco, I am keeping things to myself till I have proven that there is a better way of doing the DD. I have the theory, but have to now produce the goods and set it to be dynamic Rock Rock .

Even when my version is done, things like DD AI mods get slated despite the ammount of work the person has done. So I will offer my settings when done but not force them as they may not be right for others. This way I can write a tutorial on the blog as I progress.

A true ai smart DD is immpossible as there is a hardcode other than sensors also at play.

However no one has yet dabbled with the random file yet apart from Hemisent (not even me) and I want to see how it can be exploited.

I want my usual testing fun on this toy for a while and then I may produce something as a base. Without testing, I cannot post any tutorial.

The Damage model is just a matter of what people want. I am hoping that the major mod teams have a good look at the chaos file as I think it will benefit their mods whether realsim based or fun based.

I have always stated that this work is open to anyone and I am claiming no rights to its use. Anyone can use it so long as I am credited for the template building dogs body work.

I have exams in 6 weeks so will need to step back for a while on a more quiet front. I could not go before completing the template however I also want to also see NYGM v2 before deciding on a chaos damage model base.

The file is ready and the structure is set in GW version 1.1 bacause I presume that many in between players like me will be playing GW at the moment.

What I am trying to say is this,

It is going to be a while before I can come up with any super mods set from the chaos file due to study, work and family life.

This does not mean I am dropping it as I will be spending a hour or so each night on it and looking here to see if you and others have added new stuff or found some good settings. If I see something that is good, I will add it to the blog.

The file is for everyone and anyone to use as they wish.

Jscones made it all possible, I wrote the template, Hemisent has showed its capability.

Last edited by gouldjg on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
HawkerT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that Sir! Excellent!

Thank you for applying and sharing your T&T (Time & Talent) ... Neutral\

Best of luck with your exams!
All the best
HawkerT
gouldjg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hawker and welcome to the community Thumbs Up
JScones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawkerT wrote:
You gentlemen are working wonders and I regard your work as the subtle invisible spice that makes or breaks the dish ... !!!

Actually never heard this analogy before. I quite like it. I might use it at work.
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

Great piece of work you've compiled! As soon as I finish what I'm working on, I'll try the chaos vanilla flavor!

Best,

VH
gouldjg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Von

I am spending a bit of time on the DD issue as I like it. Gone back to stock settings and only using Jscones random lost contact times and working from there with the new possibles and past info. The thermals I will add in later but at the end of the day, thermals are good luck to me and a better incentive to dive deep because there may just be one.

There is one thing for sure about the DD. Not everyone experiences the same thing so I am in no way am claiming this will be great, realistic etc etc but it will be interesting.

At the moment I am setting thinner active sonar arcs but reducing detection times. The arcs etc will vary with random so each time I play, I will have to listen carefully when under attack to plan my escape. If I am careful and patient enough, I will note the arcs capability and see a route out. The whole Idea is to force me into having to analyze the situation on each attack. In real life, the cat and mouse game was a mental battle between sub and ship captains. In the current state of the game, once I know the rule I adapt my play every time. Now because this is a fixed number game, the knowing what the rules are, makes the hunt/hunted boring after a while :zzz: . With random, I want to force evaluation on the player so that he at least has to have a tactical think on each occasion Rock .

My passives are far more powerful in ranges (added 5000 to each and set sensitivity to 0.03 on everything) as long as the DD is at the right speed to pick them up. The speed factor of the DD is another exploit I may add to the random. I am not going to go crazy here but I do want the occasional fast moving DD to get suspicious. In real life, DD will stop and listen now and again but in the game, they do not do this so random can help. The careless player will get caught out.

At the moment they are working pretty well (no more just wading in to attack from the side) but I have not tested enough through different time periods so cannot guarantee error free version. The silent running really comes in useful though and despite the massive increase in Hydro ranges, silent running is turning me back to green from a red. Sometimes in later war I usually need to just set speed to 1 knot as it is all borderline orange and red till i do that.

As I usually play on 100%, this is now a good base from which random and probability deviations can cover the imperfections.

At least I know if I get a dumb convoy one day, it may be different the next time and that is what I want and work for. As long as I think there are humans controlling the DD and have to tactically think, I really do not care about getting a dumb one or elite one occasionally within the game.

As far as damage modeling is concerned

I would like to think that NYGM v2 is going to be a good base for myself personally but occasionally I like to play with the kids and mates as well so ideally would like two damage packs to choose from. For me, having alternative options is the best way to go with damage as it is yet another area that no mass population can agree upon.

In the meantime, the tool is now there to tweak any damage model to a more varied and random system than the fixed number system currently employed.

Jscones had made a fantastic Version of SH3 commander for me personally.
gouldjg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update and a request

While I wait for NYGM v2 before going crazy with various damage mods covering different major mods, I am starting to build v1.00 of my DD AI Chaos behaviour mod.

My objectives are simple to start with but as time goes by and it is in play testing by the community. I can start to refine settings dependant on player feed back and preferences.

i.e. I set randomisation to what I think is good for DD. Some players state they have discovered that by having blah blah setting, they had a good experience in the game. I then will refine that setting to that good feel and take out the extreme variations but still leave enough varibles in there to add the occasional challenge, good luck and occasional John Wayne butt kicking DD that only the patient and well thought captain may escape from whilst he hopes to god that a thermal exists under him.

I am just wondering if anyone wants to jump on board and help me input over a 1000 or so lines of data.

Just PM me and I will send you chunk of data that requires to be edited and instructions as to what should be the base settings as well as the kind of deviation required. It is a simple number inputting excersise but vital to the mod and your contributions will be noted.

Guys, it is like this,

I can do this on my own but it will be 10 times quicker with a team effort.

The main goal is to get a standard randomised template and then once released we can start to refine it so it looks as though the DD have some brains, be it good or bad on the odd occasion.

If this works, The DD Chaos Mod can be easily implemented into each major Mod with little or no file changes.

What say thee, interested or not interested
JScones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd offer, but I'm building the platform to allow this all to happen, so I'll have to pass. Hopefully you'll get some takers.

Anyone that is not happy with the stock DD AI...now's your chance!
U-Schultz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested.
Georg_Unterberg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gouldjg,

count me in - I will help you!

I was trying to get it on myself, but you have much more knowledge of what should be done regarding AI capabilities. (I didn't bother to read the 765 post thread).

We can get it going via PM
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: