Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How to sink a T2 tanker with one shot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildpig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: How to sink a T2 tanker with one shot? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Following the guide in wiki SH3 community manual (http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Ship_Weak_Spots) , I used to be able to sink a T2/T3 with one shot, aimming at the engine room (I had the full vul MOD) and it will sink.

However when I came into Oct 1941, things have changed and I could never sink a T2/T3 with even two shots aimed at the same place. The torpedo impacts, the engine room explodes as before, but the ship just doesn't sink. Are those tankers upgraded, or did I do something wrong?

One more question, where is the best place to aim at, engine room or fuel tank?

Comments are appreciated, thanks!
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you upgrade to either Grey Wolves or the NYGM Modpacks? They use a different damage model than the stock (Vanilla) game.

Are you using different settings on torpedos? Are you using more magnetic ones?

T2s were well known as "difficult" ships, even with the stock damage model.
BusMarine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have better luck putting a magnetic torp 1m below the keel...breaking the ship's back. Works pretty well on the larger ships so long as the torp keeps it's depth.
wildpig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonHelsching wrote:
Did you upgrade to either Grey Wolves or the NYGM Modpacks? They use a different damage model than the stock (Vanilla) game.

No I'm playing the stock game, the only MODs I installed are full vulnerability; And I was using the same torpedos: basic T1(steam) and T2(elec).

I set the trigger to impact, depth 3m and aim at the engine room. It worked pretty well with C2/C3, and used to work with T2/T3, but now it doesn't...as if the tankers become more tough, or the torpedos become less powerful Confused
wildpig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusMarine wrote:
I have better luck putting a magnetic torp 1m below the keel...breaking the ship's back. Works pretty well on the larger ships so long as the torp keeps it's depth.

Can I ask where do you aim at for T2 please, just anywhere along the keel? I've tried this technique, but nothing happened even with two torpedos Damn
Boris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit an Illustrious carrier with one torpedo, and it's decks blew up and went down in like 5 minutes...using GW

Should this be possible?
bookworm_020

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinking tankers depends on it's cargo, and if it's heading into the UK or out. The best for the one shot anywhere kill are the fast convoys that are inbound to the UK. They seem to go sky high at the sign of a torpedo. Most of the time it's aiming that does the trick, just forward of the aft deckhouse, near the aft mast does the jod 80% of the time.

Sinking a carrier with one torp is possible, both in the game and in real life, but it's hard to at the best of times.
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris wrote:
I hit an Illustrious carrier with one torpedo, and it's decks blew up and went down in like 5 minutes...using GW

Should this be possible?

Yes. It was probably what is called a "critical hit". It was impact, right?
tbarak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, big bad shooting at the same spot on a ship. Good Kaleuns know you should shoot at different places on a ship when firing a salvo or successive shots.

I play the vanilla game too...for now, and I agree sinking a T3 with a single shot is pretty rare. BTW I'm in May '42 in my first career.

The only time I've sunk a T3 with a single shot was with an accoustic homer, dead astern at about 450 metres. Totally blind shot as the bugger slipped away in heavy fog. My jaw dropped (this is probably the part I like best about the game, those "moments" when you see something new or unexpected).

I think most times it takes two fish, both from close range (400 - 900 metres), the first set to magnetic one metre below the keel, and the second set for impact at a depth of five - six metres. I suck so shooting at the middle of the ship will have to do. Very Happy Still the early electric fish work best for me, and other than that one hail Mary, the acoustic homing ones have up to now been iffy in performance. But some T3s take as many as three fish, and man those awful, long lingering deaths. But if you have the patience and if you can knock out its rudder or props, you can always shadow it until fair weather arrives and deliver the coup de gras with your gun. Guaranteed way to sink a T3 with a single fish!

From the little of the game I know, I'm not sure merchants are upgraded with respect to armour or health/hitpoints. Guess it wouldn't be too hard to snoop in the game files to find out. Of course they do get guns as you've probably found out to your discomfort, but many of the T3 I've encountered don't have guns.

Well, I hope I confused the matter even more. Razz
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildpig wrote:
VonHelsching wrote:

No I'm playing the stock game, the only MODs I installed are full vulnerability; And I was using the same torpedos: basic T1(steam) and T2(elec).

I set the trigger to impact, depth 3m and aim at the engine room. It worked pretty well with C2/C3, and used to work with T2/T3, but now it doesn't...as if the tankers become more tough, or the torpedos become less powerful Confused

Did you change base / location?

I tend to aggre with user bookworm_020. It should be the cargo. You are probably unlucky, hitting some empty T2s.
thyro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In standard SH3 if you hit the targets keel on autotargeting (5m - 7m depth) would be an instant kill.

Well, despite "GW think-tankers" mentioning that GW the things changed... well yes! They changed quite a bit!

But from what I noticed (as player) I have to say that still exist few weak spots even in GW ships even with new flood-system.

But its a kind of a random hit-kill (I mean sometimes works others don't).

For a instant kill in GW you might need to spend from 1 to 2 torps

Always aim the torp to few meters infront of their command bridge. (few meters in front of the automatic targeting). Remember to set the torps depth to hit the targets keel.

Medium/Large cargos 5/6m, All tankers 2m. Liners also can go in 1 or two torps but I havent noticed the weak spot yet.

If it doesn't pin-down on 1st torp.

Fire a 2nd one few meters in front of the 1st shot.

If that didn't work then fire a 3rd to its rear... so wouldn't be hit-kill but would be flooded-kill as intended by GW.

Other option that I used in GW to save torps is ... disable the propulsion (screws) or engines room... surface the sub and gank with Deck gun (aiming 1st their own deck guns - if they have any) followed by the water-line of ship's front (since its rear has one torp in it - which might be or not sufice)
andrSub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hit a T2 beforeabout 2m under the keel, and it worked perfectly. I even saw a few life boats fly off in random directions!!! Very Happy
I don't remember what mission it was, but I started one with a XXI and shot a T2 torpedo at an Illustrious Carrier and it sunk in less than 40 seconds! That doesn't seem right. (I also had the slow sinking option enabled)

Anyone know what happened? I didn't even target a room!
wildpig

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried again last night, after a massive reading of all the "sweet spots" threads.

I was in Gibraltar, there was a T2 and a T3 there. I guess they are both empty cargos.

For the T3, I fired one shot at depth 11.7m, trigger M, aimed at the front sub-structure, and another depth 3m, trigger I, aimed at the engine room. This T3 sunk instantly.

For the T2, one shot depth 10.5m trigger M aimed at the front sub-structure did the job, the T2 broke in half.

I loaded my game many times for the T3, trying to sink it with one shot, no success. It was on fire, and eventually tilt starboard/stern, but still floating after an hour.

So maybe the best I can do for an empty T3 is two torps, and for T2 is one?
Fishmachine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can say, the critical spots of T2/T3 are so small, that if you don't hit it accurately enugh, than you just cause minor explosion of fuel, but not sinking. The reason, why you cannot hit them accurately enough is switching from fast TI to slower TII/III's. They tend to slow down with range (especially TII's) and are less accurate than TI's.
For electric torpedoes, just aim them a meter below keel, at 1/4 of the ship length to front. It kills any T2/T3 in 90%.
jasonb885

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's your sense of realism?

Fire all four! Wink

Yep
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: