Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

K19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K19 film is only about 75% true there is alot of holes i could pick into it, some examples for a start is where did the destroyer come from, another when did the captain even be relieved of command.

Many of the people who served on K19 do not like the movie, they say it portrays them as drunkerds and incompetant, Vladimir Yenin even voiced his discust to the international submarine community in st petersburg.

So dont take the film as gospel truth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Avon Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noob wrote:
Ah, finally i got Rid of Bonnet... Rotfl

I wouldn't brag about your new avatar, either!

The Noob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:
The K19 film is only about 75% true there is alot of holes i could pick into it, some examples for a start is where did the destroyer come from, another when did the captain even be relieved of command.

Get the Real Story of U-96 and then watch Das Boot. Das Boot is just 25% True, So What?

Kapitan wrote:

Many of the people who served on K19 do not like the movie, they say it portrays them as drunkerds and incompetant

Well, it's an american Movie about Soviets, so what did You expected?

Rotfl

The Avon Lady wrote:
I wouldn't brag about your new avatar, either!

[/quote]

HOLY SHEEP! *Takes his Luger and Shoots Himself*

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did i expect, well for a starters the film amkers to honour thier promises to the living and fallen crew.

Thats genrally a good start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woman on the submarine in kapitan's picture is the director of the film Kathryn Bigelow
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for that woman i know if she ever set foot in st petes again then she might just get linched.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:
There are some issues in the film that never happend in real life, i mean where in gods name did that destroyer come from?
I assume it came from a shipyard. Joking

Whets the big deal, an American destroyer showed up and hangs around in the background to add a little drama. Its not like they disguised them selves as Russians and sneaked aboard to steal the launch codes!

Quote:
And no captain unless he had a death wish would run around the boat saying "they turned themselves into heros".
Huh? Maybe I'm thick but care to explain that?

Listen a 75% accurate movie is probably the most realistic submarine movie to date. Laughing
Linton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan would you care to elborate on the director's unpopularity in ST.P?The dvd I have got includes an interview with her.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any captain running around his submarine exclaiming his crew are heros, would be frownd upon in the kremlin, the only person that had the power to call or award some one hero of the soviet union was the premier.

The political officer, could stop that shinanagen simply but shooting the officer exclaiming this, as he has no authority to do so.
It could be seen as your undermining the premier and that would lead to trason which in turn leads to death sentance.

Also a political officer would not use a fire arm to sieze control of any vessel unless they realy had to, not long after the K19 incident there was an attempted defection from crew members from a ship at sea, as i believe one man was shot out right for betrayl of his country and also tratory.

The others were quickly taken away and never seen again.

Thats how a few little words could mean the diffrence between life and death, we are lucky in the west we can speak our minds, but most dont get is that in the soviet union it was very regulated so by saying he is my hero could be twisted and used against you.

K19 is a dramatised version of acctualy events, i personaly do think they show the crew as totaly incompetent and drunkards, there is a thing called rationing which the russians have used for years to stop any crew member from getting drunk.

In real life there was no DDG and there was two submarines that came to the rescue S159 and S270 also a third stood gaurd while a merchant ship towed K19 back to sea, the captain was also last to leave his ship and the russian watch submarine had strict orders to sink the submarine should any american or NATO vessel came closer than a mile to the submarine.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is highly unpopular with former vetrans and also modern day sailors, they have a tendancy to think that she is responcible for mentaly dragging them down.

St Petersburg is home to the submarine vet club and thousands of sailors from the northern and baltic fleets, it is a naval city, there are more sailors here than moscow or even Nizhney Novgorad.

The vet's say that she showed them as incompetent and unable to do thier jobs, to which they will always disagree, also vladimir yennin (1st officer on the sub in 1961) has publicly stated that he strongly disaproves of the film, hence why it was quite a flop in russia.

This is hollywood portrayl of a soviet event, facts have been twisted and distorted only to suite the american ideas of the russian navy, and i can tell you from first hand that the film and real life differ greatly.
Linton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is still the best looking woman I have seen on a submarine!!
I-25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:

This is hollywood portrayl of a soviet event, facts have been twisted and distorted only to suite the american ideas of the russian navy, and i can tell you from first hand that the film and real life differ greatly.

Sadly that is VERY true
The Noob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Today Watched the Movie. HOLY SHEEP!

Thats damn the Best Submarine movie i Ever Watched!

Even better than Das Boot!

I'm Still Stunned... :huh:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: