Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

£1 a litre/$3 a Gallon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesrae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: £1 a litre/$3 a Gallon Reply with quote

Just watching the morning news over here and they're comparing the US/UK petrol prices, the US is about to hit $3 a gallon and we're going to hit £1 a litre this year.

We had big protests here a couple of years ago when the price approached £1 a litre - is the same sort of thing being discussed in the US?
Torplexed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can protest all you wish but at the end of the day we all need this product. About the most you can do personally is cut back. Less unnecessary trips. Drive a more fuel efficient car...etc. I don't think the upward price trend is ever gonna be reversed though. It'll just keep creeping up as worldwide demand does.
DeepSix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Discussed" might not quite be the word for it. Wink

Unless I'm mistaken (and I might well be), in some places people are already paying more than $3/gallon. Little cheaper than that where I am, though.
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you all think about this?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/18/news/economy/gas_price_investigation/index.htm?cnn=yes
DeepSix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're bound to get some "discussion" out of it. Very Happy
Skybird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let Iran block the Hormuz strait in case of war (I think it has the military capacity to reach that goal even against American resistance, since tankers are both very tasty and very vulnerable), and this thread's money-numbers will be outdated very soon.
Etienne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Let Iran block the Hormuz strait in case of war (I think it has the military capacity to reach that goal even against American resistance, since tankers are both very tasty and very vulnerable), and this thread's money-numbers will be outdated very soon.

Screw that. Prices are already going up because oil companies are affraid it might possibly have a chance of perharp happening! When they actually block the strait (I'd love to see that), all it'll mean is that all those philipinos on those tankers will get war pay. (I wanna go! War pay is good!) It probably won't stop more than maybe, just maybe, a VLCC (A drop in a bucket)

And the government doesn't do poo poo because hey! Tax revenue!

Oil's a racket.
jumpy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be absolutely honest petrol prices in the UK are ******* disgraceful. Hikes in fuel costs aside, if we didn't have nearly two thirds taxable duty added on the top of oil company prices it wouldn't be half so difficult to swallow... Oh, yeh, after fuel duty there comes VAT on what you buy (Value Added Tax, for those that want to know, is a tax on 'luxury goods' - like tampons! - lmao that must have been a bloke who decided that!), then there's the ever increasing road tax... oops Johnny-two-jags needs another motor, lets put a few more pence on the price of a litre of petrol- those suckers won't notice.

I drive a more fuel efficient car (diesel = 40% efficient compared to petrol) and guess what? it costs more than petrol (in some places up to almost 10 pence per litre more) I guess it's fortunate I don't have to drive to work if I so choose - but there's nothing worse than turning up to work in your suit, soaking wet and cold because you cycled there. Trouble is, successive governments have encouraged the use of the motor car in place of and at the expense of public transport and now we're being told to use busses and trains more to travel every day? Don't make me laugh, if I want to get somewhere on time, I'll use me damn car thankyou. My town used to have a decent tram system, but that was done away with years ago... and of course rebuilding the infrastructure for such a transport network is now so extraordinarily expensive that the chancellor can now tax the motorist even more to correct these 'oversights' in civil planning and transport; nice!

I'm not up with the latest, but at one point I'm sure the UK had a ****load of reserves of oil and gas, but it would appear that we have sold most of it and (from a report I heard the other day) are now facing a shortage of consumable fuel and are looking at the prospect of becoming reliant upon foreign imports to make our energy solutions meet. How's that for forward planning? Tell ya, there ain't nothing like the prospect of making vast sums of money to screw the future.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just put $20 in the tank last night at $2.98 a gallon. Damn and just last week it was $2.62 a gallon. Rolling Eyes Damn
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car i have a rover will drink a tank of fuel, in a few days a few weeks ago it was £53 to put in a full tank now its £68 holy cow !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Konovalov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a diesel VW Golf and get pretty good economy figures. To fill up my tank it is about £42.00 and for that in my normal driving I fill up once every two weeks which is around 500 miles. I have a company fuel card so thankfully my blood pressure isn't subjected to the stress/anger associated with the price hikes.
Konovalov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:
The car i have a rover will drink a tank of fuel, in a few days a few weeks ago it was £53 to put in a full tank now its £68 holy cow !

If you mean that you own a range rover or 4wd then you are out of luck with the Government. Your road Tax will go up quite a bit thanks to Gordon poo poo Brown. Add that on top of the crazy fuel prices. Damn Damn
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I'm going to fill my tank up today before the prices get any higher...I'm driving a 1993 Toyota Corolla LE...the damn thing used to be full after $8. Now it's more like $25+...I know that that doesn't sound like a lot compared to £68, but remember that this is only a 13.2 gallon tank! Don't get me wrong, I love my car and wouldn't trade it for the world, but more and more, I seem to be trading it for an empty wallet...

Damn Damn Damn

Last edited by JSLTIGER on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I well part own a rover 827SI 2.7 litre with sport injection (which eats fuel) the insurance is high enough and road tax is too, i dont want to pay anymore cause at this rate we will have to pay tax on our bikes next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Type XXIII

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got nothing to complain about!

In Norway, gas is at almost 12 NOK/litre, that's about $7/gallon, and it is expected to rise even further, maybe as high as 15.

Seems like I'm going to get some excercise this summer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: