Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Thinking about SH3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkShot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Thinking about SH3 Reply with quote

I have been thinking about getting SH3. I have mainly held off from purchasing due to the issue of StarForce. Both for concerns about security/stability and as a matter principle.

Well, my solution to security/stability will be simply to put SH3 in its own XP partition which would only be used for SH3 (disable the optical drives and the network adapters). That should prevent any issues with StarForce.

On my current system, I don't have a DVD drive. So, I guess that leaves me with having to purchase through Direct2Drive.

Has anyone here used that option? I have some questions:

Is there a limit to how many times SH3 can reinstalled? If so, how many installs do you get?

If I just save a copy of a clean install will that be sufficient to work around any limitations on the number of repeat installs?

Can the download version later be installed on a new computer when I replace this one?

Does the download version need access to the Internet in order to install or launch SH3?

Will the various mods out there work for the download version?

---

If you are using the DVD version, will SH3 load if you disable your DVD driver and, of course, do not have the DVD in the drive?

My next computer will have a DVD drive. Also, I have a slight preference for the DVD version, since I could buy it off of E-bay used and thus avoid supporting the publisher's/developer's use of StarForce.

Thanks.

PS: I do know that Ubisoft has dropped the use of StarForce for future titles. However, as far as I know, they don't plan to re-release existing titles without StarForce.
jasonb885

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about SH3 Reply with quote

MarkShot wrote:
I have been thinking about getting SH3. I have mainly held off from purchasing due to the issue of StarForce. Both for concerns about security/stability and as a matter principle.

Fair enough.

MarkShot wrote:

Well, my solution to security/stability will be simply to put SH3 in its own XP partition which would only be used for SH3 (disable the optical drives and the network adapters). That should prevent any issues with StarForce.

That sounds extreme. I just run it on my 2K system normally.

MarkShot wrote:

On my current system, I don't have a DVD drive. So, I guess that leaves me with having to purchase through Direct2Drive.

I wouldn't ever do that. Ubi owns your copy at that point, not you.

You're paying to have no rights at all.

It's your money, though.

MarkShot wrote:

Has anyone here used that option? I have some questions:

Is there a limit to how many times SH3 can reinstalled? If so, how many installs do you get?

Yes. The limit is non-zero, but very small.

MarkShot wrote:

If I just save a copy of a clean install will that be sufficient to work around any limitations on the number of repeat installs?

Could be.

MarkShot wrote:

Can the download version later be installed on a new computer when I replace this one?

Yes, but it probably costs you an activation of which you have very few.

MarkShot wrote:

Does the download version need access to the Internet in order to install or launch SH3?

Will the various mods out there work for the download version?

No idea.

MarkShot wrote:

If you are using the DVD version, will SH3 load if you disable your DVD driver and, of course, do not have the DVD in the drive?

Interesting. From what I understand that may work. A common method for simply avoiding StarForce is to run from a USB2 or Firewire DVD drive, which Starforce can't effective violate. It's easier than unplugging your ATA DVD-ROM drive, for sure!

MarkShot wrote:

My next computer will have a DVD drive. Also, I have a slight preference for the DVD version, since I could buy it off of E-bay used and thus avoid supporting the publisher's/developer's use of StarForce.

Then I'd do that, and possibly use a USB2 or Firewire external DVD-RW/DVD-ROM drive instead.

MarkShot wrote:

Thanks.

PS: I do know that Ubisoft has dropped the use of StarForce for future titles. However, as far as I know, they don't plan to re-release existing titles without StarForce.

You could always 'release' your own copy from Starforce. Wink
tennozan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not played mine for a couple of months - after a lot of work to repair Starforce damage to my PC (DVD/CD writer works now and my system no longer crashes mysteriously - i hate Starforce). I found a "utility" that allows me to run my legally owned copy without a disc. I'd recommend looking about for it - it's delightful to be sailing again - without having Starforce on board as a deranged stowaway.
vois2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of misinformation out there about Direct2Drive's downloadable version of SH3. The downloadable version does not contain the fourth (of 4) StarForce driver which causes the interaction with the CD/DVD drive. So you don't have to worry about these sorts of problems with hardware.

Additionally, Direct2Drive offers you all the downloads and reinstalls and license keys that you need. As you can see by my date of joining to the left, I've been using the downloadable version for more than one year. I've had two hard drive reformats, two partition decision changes, and one time where I screwed up the original with mods (oops). So I am on my fifth license key for the game. In addition, with each license comes the ability to install the game three more times on that license! (Yeah, I am up to 12 *red faced*)

At Direct2Drive, there is one man who is responsible for license keys for Silent Hunter III. His name is Harry Vansickle. You deal with him alone, and so long as you aren't emailing him every few days to ask for yet another license code (in which case it is obvious you are providing codes to others illegally) then you will always get a positive response. Direct2Drive isn't going to pee off their paying customers.
Crimguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple questions:

I bought SH3 the day it came out. Loved it. Used it for a few months. Then I noticed my DVD drives both worked at significantly lower speeds. I was pissed, but didn't do anything. Just so happened that I needed to reformat, and since have bought a new 16x DL DVD burner.

I don't want to screw up that drive. Not a little bit. I use it for work doing backups and making discovery available for the prosecutors, and need it going at full speed.

So:

1) How can I install my copy of SH3 and not have to worry about Starforce? I just plain don't want it on my system. . .
2) Markshot - shouldn't you be proof-reading all the COTA manuals? Back to work! Mush!
vois2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimguy --
Answer to your question is contained in the posts above.
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vois2,

I intended to download SH3 from Direct2Drive via an XP installation with Internet access. However, the XP installation (partition) where I would install/run SH3 has no Internet access.

Do you need Internet access in order to activate your Direct2Drive SH3 or launch the game once activated?

Will all the SH3 mods out there work with the download version?

If I simply save a copy of a clean install of SH3, then can I simply restore the copy as opposed to reinstalling the game if mods or something else corrupts my SH3 installation?

Lastly, is it possible to have multiple copies of SH3 (with different mods) installed on a single PC via the same activation? Meaning can I just copy a vanilla SH3 install to a new location and install mods to it?

Thanks for your time.
vois2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkShot,

I reviewed your original post so that I could get a full handle on your intentions. I can see what you are doing clearly.

To activate your key, you do, yes, need access to the internet. After that one-time connection, you never need to have SH3 hooked to the Net. If you send me an email, I will send you a link to reach Harry Vansickle directly. If you pose the question to him about being able to activate the product without internet access, Harry may be able to assist you with your purchase from Direct2Drive. In this way, the SH3 XP install partition would never need to access the Net ever. I don't know if Harry can assist but it's worth a shot. It seems to me that it might work if there is a back door providing the activation of license keys without Net access.

The downloadable version is exactly the same as the DVD version, minus the DVD's extra StarForce driver framework for interacting with the optical drives.

All mods will work, as evidenced by my heavily modded downloadable SH3. I highly suggest making the backup copy of a clean virgin install exactly as you have described. I do this for all games which I plan to mod. However, forum contributor/software architect Jaessen Jones (JScones) has made the task of experimentation with SH3 mods particularly easy. His JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler is just pure genius. You won't find a single poster in these forums who would advise you to apply mods in some way other than JSGME. Eventually, you'll want to check out his SH3 Commander product. Again, genius.

There is a positive response/answer to the very last question you posed, but I'll hold off on answering, since you would need to have SH3 already installed to understand the method, and have access to its file folder structure.

So as I see it, for you it would be:
1) download SH3 to partition M
2) copy it over to partition P, and execute it for the install on P
3) make a backup copy of this virgin program installation folder somewhere
4) apply SH3 patch ver 1.4b
5) Run SH3 once
6) download and install JSGME according to its read-me

After that, mods on and mods off will forever be done by the click of a button.
MarkShot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vois2,

Thanks - I sent an email.

Direct2Drive's site isn't very specific of how the whole process works. I know that Microsoft permits WPA without a connection to the Internet. Thus, I thought maybe SH3 might also work in a similar fashion.

I know that I could just purchase a USB DVD drive. However, since I plan to replace this PC in 2007, I am not inclined to invest anymore money in it. Although a USB DVD drive could also be used on my next PC, I would probably just have it built with an internal DVD drive instead.
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to start another "I'm a newb!" topic, so I'll just post my simple question in this one:

My new system has yet to arrive, so won't be able to play SHIII until then. But just to clarify, it IS possible to save mid patrol with Grey Wolves/NYGM installed, right?

Can't wait to get going with this sim. Something tells me I'll be sucked in for quite a while.

PD
VonHelsching

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkShot wrote:

Lastly, is it possible to have multiple copies of SH3 (with different mods) installed on a single PC via the same activation? Meaning can I just copy a vanilla SH3 install to a new location and install mods to it?

It is possible to have multiple copies of your initial SH3 installation with different mods. Just one installation, as many copies as your HD capacity allows.
Boris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeriscopeDepth wrote:
Didn't want to start another "I'm a newb!" topic, so I'll just post my simple question in this one:

My new system has yet to arrive, so won't be able to play SHIII until then. But just to clarify, it IS possible to save mid patrol with Grey Wolves/NYGM installed, right?

Can't wait to get going with this sim. Something tells me I'll be sucked in for quite a while.

PD

Yep, you can save any time you like, and as long as you make no changes to the games mods during patrols they will reload fine.
vois2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ PeriscopeDepth --

Sorry if I have misinterpreted your comment, but if you're completely brand new to the sim, I wouldn't go straight to GW1.0/NYGM/EUC just yet. I've been on these boards since before the game was launched, and this has been the recommendation we've given.

You probably have a lot of experience with sims.

Thanks,
vois2
MarkShot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vois2,

Don't forget to send me Harry's email address. Thanks.
vois2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markshot --
Done.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: