Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

We need minigames!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: We need minigames! Reply with quote

I know this is probably impossible now, but as im sitting here patrolling at 256x the downtime of a sub-commander has gotten to me. I wish i had something to do regarding my boat, i.e test procedures, measuring stars, reading handbooks and radio logs, etc. etc... There just isnt enuff to do. Sure when my watch yells boat spotted or convoy spotted im occupied with manuvering and procedures for about 1-2, or 3-4 hours realtime depending on contact. but something seems missing. I hope in SHIV they address this issue, i.e (manual navigation with no direct position on a "game map", or reading procedures for American subs in pacific, etc.. Im sure more creative minds can think of minigames). Even walking throughout the interior of a sub would opccupy me for a good 20-30 minutes just because i like to admire things. So far the only thing that keeps me going thru these patrols is reading books about subs or "pretending" we are having a test dive or some deck gun practice. Anyway just thought i'd throw that out there in hopes a developer might see this.
sober

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe if every gauge on the sub was clickable and useable you could check they were working . If we had an engine compartment you could look after the running of the diesels . If the enigma worked we could decode messages . If i could get to the batteries i could check on those . Lets hope some of these make it to SH4 . The only thing i can think of too improve SH3 is maybe via the editor you could add a zone to every grid and have a message when you reached the zone giving you something too read . I dont know how long a message could be (can it include pictures) .
Syxx_Killer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I play tic-tac-toe on the nav map using the ruler and compass. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but most of the time it is a cat's game. Embarassed Stare Sometimes I try to draw pictures with the tools. My latest attempt was a car, but that didn't turn out too well. :8Cool
vodkajello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Damn it Sven, stop doodling on the nav map! I can't see where our course is!"
flyingdane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah like cards or chess aginst the Ai would be cool, Those long patrols get kinda dull. :hmm: Yep
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oOOoO CARDS or CHess is a great idea! That would be an awesome minigame! The Kapitan plays all the way to the champion which may be the Chief or some1 else. And then maybe sometime during the patrol a challanger would come along and u must hold the title. haha that would be awesome! Checks on compartments and their functionality would be great too!
flyingdane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would for sure help pass the time during those long patroles.
clive bradbury

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to stop you plotting course manually on a print-out map? I used to regularly with SH2.
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean taking star shots, navigational fixes, drifting in storms, etc.etc.
don1reed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play SHIII in windows mode so I also load FreeCell or cribbage or Chessmaster 10 in the background...or read a book.
Heibges

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the suggestion they should have a virtual Uboat Commanders Handbook in the captains cabin.

An utilities for Chess, Hearts, Spades, and Ppoker would be pretty cheap.
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heibges wrote:
I made the suggestion they should have a virtual Uboat Commanders Handbook in the captains cabin.

An utilities for Chess, Hearts, Spades, and Ppoker would be pretty cheap.

agreed. Something we can within the parameters of the game. Of course there is tons of stuff to do when its minimized, but i usually miss out on a contact or two.
don1reed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHIII doesn't minimize in the windows mode. It stays the same size, albeit a skosh smaller than fullscreen, but just enough border of desktop is visible to get at important stuff. However, other activities (card/chess games) can be layered on top of the SHIII focus, still playing x1 in the background. Just a mouse click away when that "Cap't to the bridge" call comes through.
don1reed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...almost forgot, Salvadoreno...

Are you familiar with the Universal Plotting Sheet? VPOS?

Here's a free DL http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~amana/personal/navigation/plottingSheet.pdf

A lot of times to sneak by the doldrums of ZZZZZZ, I'd convert Kriegsmarine grids to Lat/Long and plot my course on the VPOS ....talk about a drunkards path...

It's a great way to beat the boredom.

Rgds,
spork542

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could do that too. It's a shame. Traveling at 1024x does seem to get sort of boring. Confused
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: