Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Randomize Cloud Formations with SH3 Commander?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panthercules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Randomize Cloud Formations with SH3 Commander? Reply with quote

As I was looking at my newly-restored clouds (had some wierd issue with GW briefly where I went for a couple of weeks in game through all sorts of wind/seas conditions but not a single cloud in the sky), it struck me that the clouds I was seeing looked pretty familiar. I began to wonder if it would be possible to provide a lot more variety in the cloud graphics by having several different cloud designs/patterns and have SH3 Commander randomize a selection from among the many available choices each time you started up the game.

I have no idea how the game handles generating the clouds, or if the cloud graphics mechanisms are so entwined with things like the 8Km vs 16Km visibility mod files or other mod files so that trying to have SH3 Commander do this would screw up some other aspects of certain mods or you would have to have a separate set of random cloud graphics for each major mod out there (like RUB, IUB, GW, NYGM, etc.), which sounds pretty unworkable. I always felt like the weather effects really added to the enjoyment of the IL-2 series and SH3, and if this would work without a lot of effort i think it could add a lot to the SH3 experience. Anybody know if this would be do-able?
JScones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SH3Cmdr R2.5, I can pretty close to boldly state that any aspect of SH3 can be randomised.

Your task could be achieved one of two ways:

1. If the clouds are stored in image files, use the Random folder structure. Images shouldn't clash with any mod, but I would naively suspect that there may need to be some consistency in image size and content - and this may be linked to other environment files. But hey, I really have no idea other than it could be done. Wink

2. If the clouds are defined by data file settings, use the new "Randomised Events" feature. gouldjg is successfully using it with his Hollywood Chaos mod, and it's the way Hemisent's Thermal Layers mod has been implemented. Less likelyhood of conflict, but even if so, easier likelyhood of rectifying.
Dowly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be great to have! Rock
panthercules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - sounds like this should be possible - now someone just needs to step up and do it Smile

If I had any artistic skills I might actually try this myself, but I shudder to think what my clouds would look like even if I knew what files there were in and how to manipulate them. I hope someone with some actual skills will see this and take a shot at putting something like this together. [where's the emoticon for "begging"?]
Hartmann

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting !! Rock

i think that there are only two clouds textures in the game

Nori00.tga

Nori01.tga

and CloudsTransition.tga
panthercules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartmann wrote:
Very interesting !! Rock

i think that there are only two clouds textures in the game

Nori00.tga

Nori01.tga

and CloudsTransition.tga

LOL - well, I tried messing around with those 2 Nori files, and sure enough you can see the effects in the game Surprised

It proved my conviction that I have no talent for drawing clouds - somebody else will definitely have to do this if it's going to get done. Yep

That cloud transition just looked like a simple white square, so I can't imagine what the game must be doing with it to create the transition/partly cloudy effects. Maybe whoever fixed that gawdawful crazy dome effect when you looked straight up in the stock game could take a whack at creating some additional sets of Nori files or something so that SH3 Commander could randomize these clouds into a really cool-looking set of skies.
Dowly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it too. I made the files seamless, but still the sky didnt look quite right. The seams were visible in one case and in other there was spots where there was no clouds at all.

I have some nice pics to use as skies, I just need to figure out how to make it! Damn
panthercules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon you artistic wizards out there - surely someone understands how these cloud files/pictures work and could throw something together for us weather-realists Smile

Maybe some nice cirrus, altocumulus, nimbostratus, stratocumulus, and my personal favorites, the cumulonimbus - gotta have something for those pesky Catalinas and our friendly Condors to play hide and seek in, don't we?

With the new randomization capabilities of the latest SH3 Commander versions, this seems like such a natural enhancement (not to be confused with the ever-popular "male enhancement") to the game - somebody please rise to the challenge Thumbs Up
Dowly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthercules wrote:
C'mon you artistic wizards out there - surely someone understands how these cloud files/pictures work and could throw something together for us weather-realists Smile

Maybe some nice cirrus, altocumulus, nimbostratus, stratocumulus, and my personal favorites, the cumulonimbus - gotta have something for those pesky Catalinas and our friendly Condors to play hide and seek in, don't we?

With the new randomization capabilities of the latest SH3 Commander versions, this seems like such a natural enhancement (not to be confused with the ever-popular "male enhancement") to the game - somebody please rise to the challenge Thumbs Up

I made some test and it seems that the sky is formed by 4 square tiles. With 8km visibility, I see 4 tiles. Might be more on 16km.

Anyway, I have to make the picture seamless on every side. And it have to be pretty simple. And then there´s another problem. I cant understand how to get the sky visible behind the partial clouds. My partial clouds cover whole sky! Rotfl

I do some more test when I have more time (Which I dont have! Rotfl )
Dowly

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here´s some shots of the sky and the problem I´m having.

Oooo.... Nice sky!

Huh?! huh?!!!?? Damn

I´ve been struggling with this problem all the time. I wish that someone could give me a hint on how to get rid of that.
panthercules

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man - glad to see someone is still messing with this - things were looking pretty good with that first shot - but looks like you're getting the same sort of tiling I was getting when i played around with this too. Maybe this bump will trigger someone who knows the secret to chime in here and give us some great new cloud formations.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: