Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Some torpedo and sonar questions....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Some torpedo and sonar questions.... Reply with quote

Again, I am asking this from the perspective of many hours of SC.

In DW, have the issues of the omin-transient and torpedo in the water been fixed?

In other words, if someone launches a torpedo 100 NM away from ownship, will I still get the "Torpedo in the water" warning?

As a related question, was the instantaneous "ping" issue resolved when using active sonar? i.e. If I go active, there is the delay while the sound travels to the target, and then the delay while the sound travels back from the target.

Again, I'm just trying to come up to speed as fast as possible while also reading the manual.

Thanks!
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the TIW warning is based on a very sensitive version of your sensors - as if he suddenly made some very loud sound, and if you could hear it (with "enhanced" sensors, the effect on the sonar displays are usually negligible), you get a TIW warning. If you're in a shadow zone (on the other side of the layer) you don't hear anything, so you won't get the TIW until you can. Which is usually after its closer - or you go to the other side of the layer.

The instant ping intercept has been fixed, but introducing a new issue of its own - you now don't hear a second ping emitted before the first reaches you.
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

This sounds promising. So it sound like it is theoretically possible to use the layer to mask the launch transients and swim a slow torp below the layer until it get closer to it target. Then pop it above the layer and accelerate.

Regarding active SONAR, Iif I understand youcorrectly, when active you can't emit a second ping until the first one has been returned to you?
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgian Dubh wrote:
Regarding active SONAR, Iif I understand youcorrectly, when active you can't emit a second ping until the first one has been returned to you?

Platform A pings.
In n seconds, B gets it on active intercept.
In 2n seconds, A gets the return on screen.

Platform A pings one time(pa).
m seconds: (m<n) A pings again (pb); interrupting the display drawing; he gets no return on the target.
n seconds: B gets pa on active intercept
m seconds: B doesn't get pb on active intercept
m+n: A gets the return from PB on the targets position.

Did that do it?

If you interrupt your pinging, you stop drawing it, and it can still be heard all the way out, but if you ping in between it doesn't get detected by the sub - is at least the way I understood it. There's no way to exploit this for cheating though.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no way to exploit this for cheating though.

Yep, other platforms cannot receive two pings in the water at the same time, but then again, you can only get information from one of them anyway, so there is no cheat.
compressioncut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
I believe the TIW warning is based on a very sensitive version of your sensors - as if he suddenly made some very loud sound, and if you could hear it (with "enhanced" sensors, the effect on the sonar displays are usually negligible), you get a TIW warning. If you're in a shadow zone (on the other side of the layer) you don't hear anything, so you won't get the TIW until you can. Which is usually after its closer - or you go to the other side of the layer.

TIW calls are still way too sensitive overall. Most modern torpedoes are not loud at all, in fact some are essentially silent. Some do remain pretty loud, but I think the game is using the same loud transient for all torps.
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Thinking about this has brought up another question in regards to DW SONAR modeling.

So say we have three entities in play. A 688i, an Akula and an FFG.

If the FFG pings (for some reason) the Akula, can the 688i (assuming it is in a proper position to do so) pick up the return off the Akula and use it to improve its own firing solution?

Or is this just Hollywood type thinking....
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgian Dubh wrote:

If the FFG pings (for some reason) the Akula, can the 688i (assuming it is in a proper position to do so) pick up the return off the Akula and use it to improve its own firing solution?

The short answer is, no. :know:
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
Sgian Dubh wrote:

The short answer is, no. :know:

Ooooh... multistatics...

So far I haven't seen a single naval sim on the market do multistatic sonar. I can't figure out why.
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it was a long-shot, but I decided to ask and get if off of my list.
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgian Dubh wrote:
I figured it was a long-shot, but I decided to ask and get if off of my list.

It's not an unreasonable question to ask. Multistatic sonars of several types do exist today.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: