Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Generals Want Rumsfeld to Resign
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Generals Want Rumsfeld to Resign Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/washington/politics-iraq-usa.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
STEED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's new?

Another link

Bush gives Rumsfeld vote of confidence
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-04-14-bush-rumsfeld_x.htm
DeepSix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
President Bush, brushing aside an intensifying clamor among retired military commanders for Donald Rumsfeld's resignation, said Friday his defense secretary enjoys his full support and that Rumsfeld's leadership of the Pentagon was "exactly what is needed at this critical period."
(from the article)

Rotfl - Because I'm thinking of what Bush said to Michael Brown (FEMA director), a few days before he booted him:

Quote:
"You're doing a great job, Brownie."

Rumsfeld must be truly inspired by getting a vote of confidence from Bush! Wink

Please note: the foregoing neither expresses nor implies approval or condemnation of anybody. Cheers.
The Avon Lady

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Rumsfeld has proven to be the greatest of military strategists but I have no idea if that justifies demanding his resignation.

Anyone have a list of potential replacements?
CCIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumsfield isn't the brightest guy, either (second only to W in the number of gaffes he made in his time). But yea, under the current administration - I don't see a replacement for him. Time will tell; frankly, I don't think kicking off Rumsfield now would mean much of anything outside of partisan politics.
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sentiments exactly DeepSix...
good call...

--Mike
Takeda Shingen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCIP wrote:
Rumsfield isn't the brightest guy, either (second only to W in the number of gaffes he made in his time). But yea, under the current administration - I don't see a replacement for him. Time will tell; frankly, I don't think kicking off Rumsfield now would mean much of anything outside of partisan politics.

That is the truth. Rumsfeld would most likely be replaced by either a Rumsfeld clone or an equally inadequate official (just reference this administration's appointments for examples). We're stuck with the Defense Department's strategem and policies until 2009.
August

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told is that the Generals have always hated Rumsfeld because he wanted to ditch traditional command and mission baliwicks in favor of a leaner, more capable and effective fighting force and was willing to fire any brass that wouldn't get with the program.

That made him a lot of enemies which the political opponents of the administration are only too eager to use to mudrake.
Skybird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point his: his new ideas failed with flying colours.

Zinni is no unknown in Germany, some of his essays he has published in American newspapers, have been translated for German ones as well. For a military he is a very unorthodox and flexible thinker, I got the impression, and far from being prisoner to old dogmas. I also got the impression that he knows what he is talking about. Rumsfeld's ideas were a parade of overhyped optimism lacking sense of realism. Like the intel community once thought that electronics and satellites could replace manpower (agents) on the ground, he thought technology could compensate for lacking numbers. He wanted to have an army that with the same ressources and manpower is capable of doing so much more to fulfill the neocon's goals for a new American world. I also think he is a cynic towards the fates of those he commands, John Smith and Betty Brown on the ground. Political responsebility? The only thing that could happen to him is that he gets fired, with a nice pension and no sorrows at all. It is the others that have to risk their lives, and bear the real responsebility.

Such guys make me sick. Giving commands, but not taking care that these commands decide over life and death of those they command. One could be cautionous a general, and still act aggressively. Rumsfeld only does the latter, but has no mind to understand the first. No balance, no stand, no team spirit. Court martial him. At least then he would face his responsebility. Bloody damn #?&%§$?...!!!

I cannot imagine how anyone could perform worse than Rumsfeld did. All vital assessements he made - were wrong. You cannot get a score below zero, so to replace him holds little risks, but only promises for things getting better - no guarantee, but a chance. If he is not replaced, then it is because of the upcoming internal elections. His replacement would signal some kind of imperfection of the Republicans, that they fear would be interpreted as "weakness".
mog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since his resignation Colin Powell has spoken about how his State Department had drawn up detailed plans on how to manage Iraq after Saddam Hussein had been deposed, but they were thrown out by Bush and Rumsfeld in favour of Rumsfeld's strategy.

We now know that Rumsfeld's plan was to sit back and watch the grateful Iraqis shower their liberators with flowers and love. The various tribes were to set aside their centuries old differences and go about building a nice pro-America capitalist democracy.

I can't help but wonder how Iraq might have turned out if things weren't being run by a man living in a fantasy world. There's not much point in removing him now, as the damage has already been done.
August

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Point his: his new ideas failed with flying colours.

Zinni is no unknown in Germany, some of his essays he has published in American newspapers, have been translated for German ones as well. For a military he is a very unorthodox and flexible thinker, I got the impression, and far from being prisoner to old dogmas. I also got the impression that he knows what he is talking about. Rumsfeld's ideas were a parade of overhyped optimism lacking sense of realism. Like the intel community once thought that electronics and satellites could replace manpower (agents) on the ground, he thought technology could compensate for lacking numbers. He wanted to have an army that with the same ressources and manpower is capable of doing so much more to fulfill the neocon's goals for a new American world. I also think he is a cynic towards the fates of those he commands, John Smith and Betty Brown on the ground. Political responsebility? The only thing that could happen to him is that he gets fired, with a nice pension and no sorrows at all. It is the others that have to risk their lives, and bear the real responsebility.

Such guys make me sick. Giving commands, but not taking care that these commands decide over life and death of those they command. One could be cautionous a general, and still act aggressively. Rumsfeld only does the latter, but has no mind to understand the first. No balance, no stand, no team spirit. Court martial him. At least then he would face his responsebility. Bloody damn #?&%§$?...!!!

I cannot imagine how anyone could perform worse than Rumsfeld did. All vital assessements he made - were wrong. You cannot get a score below zero, so to replace him holds little risks, but only promises for things getting better - no guarantee, but a chance. If he is not replaced, then it is because of the upcoming internal elections. His replacement would signal some kind of imperfection of the Republicans, that they fear would be interpreted as "weakness".

There are just so many things wrong with the above that it'd take too much time to counter them all. Maybe later. For now suffice to say Zinni's biggest fan is Zinni.
Skybird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mog wrote:
Since his resignation Colin Powell has spoken about how his State Department had drawn up detailed plans on how to manage Iraq after Saddam Hussein had been deposed, but they were thrown out by Bush and Rumsfeld in favour of Rumsfeld's strategy.

We now know that Rumsfeld's plan was to sit back and watch the grateful Iraqis shower their liberators with flowers and love. The various tribes were to set aside their centuries old differences and go about building a nice pro-America capitalist democracy.

I can't help but wonder how Iraq might have turned out if things weren't being run by a man living in a fantasy world. There's not much point in removing him now, as the damage has already been done.

He admitted in an interview, word by word, that he "had been surprised by the intensity and duration of violance" after Saddam'S fall. This speaks volumes. If so many people all over the world saw exactly these consequences in crystal-clear vision, and warned of them, and he did not see it, and did not listen to these people's warnings, and had wiped all alternative planning to his "plan" (what plan?) off the table, then this definetely is no indication for his competence and foresight and understanding of the realities at location. Civilians should decide on the question whether to go to war or not, but on the basis of projected consequences by the military. the military should not judge the question of whether to go to war or not. It should say what the conseqeunces will be if one goes to war, or not. but Rumsfeld wants to be manager, trainer, team owner, goalie and goal-getter in one person. Reminds me of the military dilletancy of Hitler. Both of them are so great "Feldherren und Schlachtenlenker", for the same reason: megalomania and an unquestioned belief of how phantastic they are.

That he bypasses reality and lives in his own bubble, using force and cynism to push "his reality" through beyond reason and human interest, he has proven before in the far east, and in Korean diplomacy.
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might not be the brightest star in the sky but he gave hilarious press conferences during Enduring Freedom! Rotfl
Skybird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GunnersMate wrote:
He might not be the brightest star in the sky but he gave hilarious press conferences during Enduring Freedom! Rotfl

Admitted, he definetely is in the wrong business. He could be the star of every evening'S show program Laughing I even share his dry humour.
Ducimus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:
Truth be told is that the Generals have always hated Rumsfeld because he wanted to ditch traditional command and mission baliwicks in favor of a leaner, more capable and effective fighting force and was willing to fire any brass that wouldn't get with the program.

I read about this a long time ago. Rumsfield eraned my "oh crap!" reactioin awhile ago. Replacing manpower with technology is an entirely bad idea, and needs to be rethought out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: