Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Ubisoft Drops Starforce Copy protection!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulcommander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drebbel wrote:
Quote:
The fact that you and the mods always appear to defend SF is, in my opinion, starting many more fires than you're putting out.

That is mainly because we not whimps or pussys, we not afraid to start any fires.

Most moderators will be in favor of copyright protection, but most moderators are against errors in SF or possible malicious code. Therefore (and me speaking for myself now) we would like to see an improved SF that adresses the concerns of the people. But we are not shouting from the roof tops that we hate SF and never will get a game again with SF.

Just seems that lot of people are just jumping on the "I hate SF bandwagon without thinking about it. Is quite a eye opener for me that it is so easy to assemble a huge crowed to attack and kill something ...............

Drebbel (with my moderator hat on)

You sir are obviously not in the loop.
You can have your Starforce. I have an idea. Why don't you ask Starforce to protect your own personally burned copies of your own software. This way you will feel better about the whole situation. :doh:

After the actions of Starforce over the last year I can't believe you are serious!

They not only attack the hand that feeds them they attack the consumer and their competion.
Sure have at it join Starforce, make them your best friend if it makes you feel good.
Starforce destroys themselves.

Soulcommander
Skybird

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:
Skybird wrote:
Neal Stevens wrote:

Why does everyone have to go through metal detectors at an airport? Shouldn't it just be the terrorists? Would save the rest of us a lot of time.

Metal detector and passive scan for all passengers is one thing. Cutting all of their bellies open to see if they are smuggling something in their stomachs is something different.

Your comparsion does not work. ...

My comparison doesn't work? Lol, why would we cut open stomachs? Don't you know how metal detectors work? They can detect metal--inside--the stomach. No need to cut anyone. But everyone has to be assumed guilty and slightly inconvienenced to try to prevent hijackings. Copy protection must be used on all games CD, even for honest people like you, to try to prevent dishonest people from copying the games.

Maybe some people who go through metal detectors have headaches later, but it didn't bother me Wink

Obviously you did not understand my metaphor.
Soulcommander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal
Quote:

The mods are entitled to decide how they see this on an individual basis. I don't think I have asked any of them to agree with me, I have asked them not to let a possibly excessive amount of potential anti-SF ranting, who knows, maybe, eventually disrupt normal forum decorum. :hmm: I mean, discuss it but not let it dominate the discussion in a forum about a game, not copy protection. For example, Soulcommander's posts are almost all anti-SF posts, but he's been free to post.

Neal they may come across as anti posts. But your not seeing the whole picture. You weren't involved with any internal things like I was.
View my posts in a positive light. My goal here was to inform.
Just like it was when I posted this thread and you allowed it to go into a debate because again your own moderators were allowed to take it in that direction.

You really need to stop and think about what your saying.

You think I'm some child ranting?

I have managed to accomplish something that I experienced was wrong as well as 1,000s of others did. They may not all be here posting, screaming, or being Anti Starforce on your site. Just because they aren't here doesn't mean this issue was a small one.
You know that.

And as I said in interview after interview, Starforce hurts themselves.
Just as you showed your viewers here on your own forums Neal with the Starforce Bitt torrent post you made. And that wasn't Starforce's ownly mistake, there were many more.

Soulcommander

Last edited by Soulcommander on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulcommander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonin wrote:
Drebbel wrote:
This is not a victory at all, just a reminder of how difficult it is to protect your own stuff from being stolen.

It is all of us who use illegal software who are too blame companies have to take measures like this.

Please speak for yourself. I've never used 'cracked' anything.

I'm strongly in favor of companies protecting their intellectual property. But not if it causes problems with my computer. Life is too short; I will just not buy a game that puts my DVD drive or CD-R drive at risk.

When I bought a new PC last fall I told the man at the store that I wanted a machine capable of playing several games. SH3 was one of the games I mentioned. But when I read so much about Starforce or whatever it's called, I decided not to buy the game.

I wonder: will Ubisoft now release a "gold" version of SH3 with some other kind of copy protection? I would buy the game instantly, if that happens.

I personally want to interject since Im back here reading all these posts.
I never used the cracks either. Even though many people sent them to me without me asking for them.
I am asking that Ubisoft release an official crack(patch) with No SF protection on it so many of us sitting here with SHIII can play it again with out worry that our new drive is going to fail because of it.

But just in case Ubi doesn't, my SHIII game is still wrapped and ready to be taken back. (If the store will take it back) Some of you aren't that lucky to have wrapped games.

But at the least, I want to try to get you a patch that's official from UBI, no promises on that. But I will try.

Soulcommander
Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped in to say "Good job Soulcommander".....Starforce is gone.

When they release a patch, I'll reinstall SHIII......I have a retail copy, I can post a photo if anyone likes....Wink.

Some people will surly refuse to admit they were wrong, even though Starforce has a class action law suit pending, for their faulty, invasive, and dangerous programming....and UBI has a 5 million dollar law suit pending for even putting the program on their games and distributing it to the public, and even UBI has now rejected the Starforce program on their future games. I'd say this is 'proof' enough that Starforce is a very bad program, not good or healthy to install on anyones computer.

But all this will not convince the doubters to admit they were wrong......wise up Soulcommander, some people are NEVER going to be wrong Wink.....it's always 'somebody else's fault'.....must be us 'pirates and hackers' who hate "all" CRP Rolling Eyes, not them or Starforce (who actually ARE the pirates and hackers), who are on the wrong side.....lol.....yea, right.

Fight on Soulcommander....people like you are the ones that give the rest of the people the great gains we occasionally make, the fight is simply harder due to the doubters, not impossible....Smile.
Silent Sentry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Hi to all I am new here, Just ordered SH3, I spent ten years on subs and I have started missing the life I had. I searched thru all the available sub sims and decided to go with SH3, I do not have the game yet so was just doing some reading on here and find this thread. So My question is when I get this game is it safe to use? As this forum shows tons play it but this Starforce thread has me thinking I will be loading a bomb into my computer. Any input would be great for a newcomer.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing SH3 and 2 other games with the Starforce copy protection and I've never had any problems. There are people who say they've experienced problems with their DVD writers, but there are also people violently opposed to copy protection who try to scare others from a great game. It's hard to tell if there are legitmate issues with SF, how many people have had problems due to having game copying software and how many legit players have experienced problems that were caused by SF, and not bad/wrong DVD media or other issues. You will never hear someone say "I pirate games and SF wrecked my DVD burner"... everyone who complains about SF is lily white. Maybe some are, who can say?

Like I said, I have not had any problems at all.
Excalibur Bane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Ubisoft to release a patch to remove Starforce. It's not going to happen. They were too lazy to fix the installer of the last patch so it told you the correct version you were installing. You expect them to actually do something complicated? No, I don't think so. Heh.
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:
It's hard to tell if there are legitmate issues with SF

SF released several driver updates to fix problems, so there definitely are legitimate issues. SF itself is relatively harmless, it´s as so often a combination of factors that can lead to problems.

Many problems and incompatibilities can be fixed by installing the driver update:
http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip

I also never had any problems with my SF-protected games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizzmoe wrote:
Neal Stevens wrote:
It's hard to tell if there are legitmate issues with SF

SF released several driver updates to fix problems, so there definitely are legitimate issues. SF itself is relatively harmless, it´s as so often a combination of factors that can lead to problems.

Many problems and incompatibilities can be fixed by installing the driver update:
http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip

I also never had any problems with my SF-protected games.

one of the main problems is the combinations of drives, software, hardware and drivers that are out there the majority of gamers with the starforce drivers dont experience problems.

those who dont like SF fall into 3 camps

-1, those who dont like the intrusive method used or the often secret way its installed

-2, those who believe it could be a threat to there hardware or could aid in virus attempts against them

-3, those unlucky 'few' who have had drives fail after installing a SF laden game.

to say 'theres updates so all is good now' is not accurate, the problems that concern groups one and two remain. there is no evidence that the updated drivers are any better then the older ones.
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godalmighty83 wrote:
to say 'theres updates so all is good now' is not accurate, the problems that concern groups one and two remain.

Well, those driver updates were not made to cure mistrust...

Quote:
there is no evidence that the updated drivers are any better then the older ones.

There are better in a sense that they fixed some problems for some people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont belive they got rid of the ring 0 permission part of starforce as that is one of the key parts to the program that prevents it being bypassed by other software.

Honestly i just wish the game companies would just learn once and for all that copy protection almost never does the job its suppost to. Ever since the advent of pc's there have been numerous attemps at "securing" the software from illegal duplication, and in Every Single Case every form of copy protection has been removed/bypassed/or breached. At best copy protection stops casual pirates from passing stuff to their friends. Anyone with an internet connection and 1/10th a brain can remove/bypass/etc virtualy all copy protection forms.

Using the "door lock" analogy. A more accurate rendition would be if you could go to the corner store, and pick up a skeleton key or lockpick which will open 99.9% of the doors in your neighborhood. Is it worth bothering trying to put locks on your door if most of the public can bypass them?

Copy protection has never worked, and will never work. Ever. Heck look at the console systems and the extent people went to make copies work, to the extent of physicaly modifing the hardware (soddering on a chip) just so they could use burned cd's in their xbox or playstation. It is utterly impossible to come up with a totaly unbipassable copy protection system. Even if part of the program requires a physical key, you just simply do an end run and remove that part of the code from the program.

Game companies like to point to pirates as lost sales and financial problems. Yet the vast majority of these pirates were never going to buy the game to begin with reguardless of what form of protection existed or not, they are a lost cause and a waste of money to worry about. Legit customers on the other hand dont want to deal with overly invasive protection schemes and the copy protection on a game is now becoming a deciding factor on purchasing the game.

Also often times the game fails not because of piracy but because the company is putting out a shoddy bug ridden game and then refuse to fix it. Well made games sell well, crappy releases and no support games dont. In my opinion the way alot of game companies act now is right on the line of being criminal. They punish and rip off their own customers, put out trash that never should have been released to begin with, then are excedingly rude to their customer base when they complain, refuse to do anything about it, and move on to their next piece of junk game. I personaly have probably wasted hundreds of dollars on games like that, and its gotten to the point where i wont even consider buying from certain companies any more (i wont list names but some of them are among the big boys of game publishig houses.)

As for starforce they are finished, not just because of all that has happened, and that most companies are now droping them like a bad habit, but because starforce itself has now been effectivly fully broken once and for all by one of the major pirate cracking groups (the same group who has done most of the major "starforce protected" releases in the last few months). This group even released an "SKD" of sorts on it. (I know this because as a "White hat" part of my job is keeping tabs on the various underground scenes). Except for a bunch of older titles when starforce was new (and that the top line crackers who disable the protection generaly dont go back and crack stuff beyond a certain age, patches/updates are the exception) most of the starforce games are cracked.

So to sum up, yes i think software companies have the right to protect their property, But i realy think they need to wake up and see whats realy going on. Protection schemes effectly dont work, never ever have, never ever will. The best they can hope for with these schemes is stoping the occasional person who is either computer illterate or just doesnt have access to the internet. Thats just the way it is. Hurting their own customers and causing them grief just in the vain attempt to try to stop the unstopable is plain dumb.

Disclaimer: these are entirely my own personal views, and do not reflect in any way on the views/opinions/belives/etc of subsim.com's site, staff, or in anything else in any way shape or form. If anyone wishes to rationaly discuss my views with me in a calm and relaxed manner feel free to do so either publicly or privately.

P.S. I do hope ubi does the right thing and releases a patch/installer for each of their starforce protected games. This would be very very easy for them to do (they just release the original that doesnt have the security imbedded in it.) and would go a long way to restoring alot of customer's faith in them.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using the "door lock" analogy. A more accurate rendition would be if you could go to the corner store, and pick up a skeleton key or lockpick which will open 99.9% of the doors in your neighborhood. Is it worth bothering trying to put locks on your door if most of the public can bypass them?

Great analogy! Does that mean you never lock your doors or your car? Your laptop and accounts are not password protected?

Anyway, you said your piece in good form. Two parts of that I can't agree with:

Copy protection has never worked, and will never work.
Copy protection works fine, for most people. There will be some who find a way around it. And I would not say "it will never work", the next system may be ironclad, who knows. It's not impossible to counterfeit currency but most people can't do it, so making currency hard to copy is a worthy goal.

Game companies like to point to pirates as lost sales and financial problems. Yet the vast majority of these pirates were never going to buy the game to begin with ...

I disagree. Can you prove this ? The people who copy games and play them sure go to a lot of trouble to get in the game. If there was no other choice, they would buy some of them--they like games.

I guess I would add that copyright holders are entitled to try and protect their work. Why stop trying. If I wrote a program, it would gall me to see 500,000 gits playing it as they chose.

I'm hoping there will be success in non-invasive copy protection. I think there will be eventually. Anyway, I've had my say, I'll shut up now Wink
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do lock my doors, but thats because there is no corner store i can go to to get the skeleton key i mentioned, or for the vast majority of other people. Passwords are different because to break them unless the person in question used something based on themselves (ie birthdays names etc) requires heavy duty processing as the password breaker goes through all the millions to billions to trillions of possibilities. But that realy only applies to encrypted stuff, software based passwords can be bypassed.

The truth is it has rarely worked, i remmeber back when pc's were in their infancy before copy protection, and copy protection laws, and your average computerstore had hundreds of disks for sale with pirated games.

One of the first forms of copy protection was the game asking stuff from the manual, which most people solved by simply photocopying the entire manual at work, then came laser holes and bad sectors on the disk, which was circumvented by special coping programs which could duplicate those things, even fake them.

After that they started trying to use serials, and disks that could not be copyied through even special programs at the time, thats when the crackers started apearing and the various piracy groups, such material was redily available provided you knew the right people via bbs.

Then the internet became publicly available and suddenly pirated material and methods of circumventing the protection schemes used was easily available to everyone. It wasnt just friends passing stuff to other friends anymore, but people passing this stuff to anyone and everyone. Since the internet especialy in the last 10 years it has become incredibly easy to obtain pirate software as long as you know where (and how) to look. Most pirate software is now available either the same day as the software is commercialy released, often times even before it hits store shelves. So obviously the protection schemes arnt working.

So back to my original statement, copy protection schemes just dont work, at best in today's time they prevent casual passing of software between friends and associates. They certainly dont stop internet based piracy, and barely even slow it down (the delay is often an hour to a day at best).

As for discussing the statistics of pirates, well its impossible to present solid figures as lets face it, pirates arnt about to take a survey on their illegal activities. In my own proffesional dealings with the various underground/illegal scenes, ive found the vast majority of these people who use pirated software are teenagers aged 12-24, usualy with low or no income who cant afford the games they play, which is why they pirate them. Some may pirate then later buy if they think the game is worth the money they have at their disposal, others wont buy as they dont see the point (ie i can get it for free why should i pay). These people are a write off for the software companies, even if they couldnt pirate the games they still would not be buying them.

Another group is the older adults that either do or dont have the money, but pirate because they dont want to spend their hard erned money, or figure again why bother when they can get it for free. This slice of the population is one of the smallest ones. Would they buy the software if they couldnt pirate it, possibly yes, possibly no, definatly not in the numbers of copies they would pirate vs what they would buy.

Yet another group is people who can afford games, do buy them, but also pirate copies to try out the full game first before sinking their hard erned cash into what could be a piece of trash. Why dont they just use demos? Well the sad truth is, the difference between a demo and full version can be night and day. You might have a crappy demo of a game, but the game itself is great, or you may have a killer demo, but the game itself is utter trash and the demo contained all the best parts to it. So instead they typicaly download the pirate copy, see how the game is, then either buy it, or delete it. I have a number of friends who do this. Is it illegal? yes it is, but i can understand why they do it after being riped off myself so many times. In my opinion these people dont realy harm the industry as they buy the quality games and discard the junk/ripoffs.

Now we get to the actual pirate groups themselves, the people who break and release these games. Most of these people are young adults (18+) to middle aged, all of them are heavily into computers, many even work in the industry itself. For them its a game, the various groups compete with each other to see who can release the next hot game first. They also have specific rules that the group must follow otherwise they risk tarnishing their group's name, and even getting pushed out of the scene. They dont do it for profit, and doing it actualy costs them money (from buying the games, server costs, etc etc). These are the people which cost the companies possible lost sales. With out them, piracy would drop sharply. But they are impossible to remove, they are among the worlds top experts in computers, security, hacking, cracking, etc. They often dont have any phyisical ties to each other and go to great lengths to conceal their real identities. Groups commonly form and disolve based on pressure from federal authorities trying to shut them down. The only ones who get caught are those who get sloppy and make mistakes, however most dont ever get caught.

Lastly we come to what i like to call the bottom feeders. These are the people who take pirated material broken by the above piracy group, burn it to a cd, then try to sell it either online or on the streets. They are the ones that try to make profit off pirated material by selling it to people who dont know how to access it for free online. They are difficult to track down, often involved with various criminal orginisations (russian mafia, etc), and on top of it if given the oppertunity will try to defraud those who do try to purchase from them. They are universialy hated by all other pirate types, particularly the release groups, who have been known to go after and tear apart the servers the bottom feeder's use via hacking.

Now out of those groups i mentioned, how many of them are likely to buy these games. How many sales does piracy realy cost the industry. Well we dont know, but it certainly isnt the number the industry likes to claim (which is 100% of pirated copies are lost sales). Myself i would probably ballpark it at around 20% or lower. Most pirates wouldnt buy even a 1/4 of what they pirated.

As for the difficulty in aquiring pirated material, if you know where and how to look. Its no more difficult then going to your local game store and picking up a copy. Sad but true, and that i could easily prove (No i will not show anyone here or anywhere else how to get pirated materials, dont even think of pming me about it).

As for copyright holder's rights yes i agree with you there 100%. Im not arguing for piracy in any way shape or form, i realy dont think that software protection schemes do their jobs. I dont mind non intrusive forms of it. But intrusive, potentialy damaging schemes i have zero tolerance for, they have the right to try to protect their investment, but they dont have the right to run roughshod over my or any other legitimate user's machine, and patience. They also do not have the right to insert any forms of spyware, or adware or other malicious code either.

There will never ever be a successfull non invasive (or even invasive) copy protection. Its utterly impossible and futile to work on, there is always a way to get around it. Even if it meens modifing the hardware to do so. All the game companies are doing is spending even more money on futility, and charging the price to us, the consumer. That is my point. Games dont need heavy duty protection schemes to be successfull, Galactic Civilisations II Dreadlords is just one recent example. Games succeed or fail not because of piracy, but because of how good the game is. Make top notch games and your company will do very well no matter what the pirates may do. Pirates arnt realy worth considering, they are a lost cause, and will never go away.

ps. Neal i respect your opinions, and everyone elses as long as they are presented in a friendly non argumentative tone, no need in my view to shut up Smile
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeonSamurai wrote:
I do lock my doors, but thats because there is no corner store i can go to to get the skeleton key i mentioned, or for the vast majority of other people.

Well, if you can get key blanks and a file, you're pretty close to that for the majority of locks. A Dutch TV station once did a report on the technique (known here as the "klopsleutel", I'm not sure if there is a specific name for it in English). Only a few high-security locks are resistant to this trick.

Even if you have a very secure front door, how secure are the windows? Really, those locks are just to keep honest people honest, it's not that hard to break into most houses. Most people could do it if they wanted to, but it's pretty obviously wrong, and there also is a risk of being seen by the neighbours, even though they'd probably just ignore you (as has been demonstrated by recent events here, most people are perfectly capable of ignoring someone being knifed in the middle of a busy train station).

With game and music copying, you have the added effects that the odds of getting caught are much lower than the odds of getting caught for burglary, and it's not as obviously wrong for many people (sharing stuff with friends is usually considered good, and the only negative effect is on some company, which doesn't lose any phisical posession but just makes less profit). If people get the idea that the company is hurting them (for example with nasty copy protections), they can also start to see it as a way to get their revenge.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: