Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Ubisoft Drops Starforce Copy protection!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats the type of innuendo that gives some navies a dodgy reputation. Smile
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<- is someone having fun with the avatars, its not quite the weekend yet for me. Wink

right on the x3 forum i had a sig that refered to but didnt mention by name starforce.

the sig was pulled and i got this pm-

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is an official warning
I have removed your sig as it was referring to s subject matter that is in locked posts.

If you breech the rules again, the next response will be more severe.

Terrabyte

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1, he could have asked me too change the sig, i would have
2, no mention of starforce is in the forum rules
3, pposting about something in a locked topic is not in the forum rules

poor and heavy handed moderating strikes again! reminds me of the ubi forums although ive never posted there only lurked.
Antonin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drebbel wrote:
This is not a victory at all, just a reminder of how difficult it is to protect your own stuff from being stolen.

It is all of us who use illegal software who are too blame companies have to take measures like this.

Please speak for yourself. I've never used 'cracked' anything.

I'm strongly in favor of companies protecting their intellectual property. But not if it causes problems with my computer. Life is too short; I will just not buy a game that puts my DVD drive or CD-R drive at risk.

When I bought a new PC last fall I told the man at the store that I wanted a machine capable of playing several games. SH3 was one of the games I mentioned. But when I read so much about Starforce or whatever it's called, I decided not to buy the game.

I wonder: will Ubisoft now release a "gold" version of SH3 with some other kind of copy protection? I would buy the game instantly, if that happens.
bradclark1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd love to eat your meat while playing SHIII.

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
I really think you opened yourself up on this one.
AG124

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ubisoft released a "Gold" version of SHIII, they better have more things to consider than Starforce. Joking (Not that removal of Starforce shouldn't be an important consideration). But they should be just as concerned with addiing Wolfpacks, more ships, etc, etc, - not the point of this thread though.

I continue to use SHIII with Starforce. I haven't had any problems, but I haven't burned any games for any reason either. I don't make backup copies - I keep them in good condition and would buy new copies if they were damaged (I also keep all the packaging - even the boxes). Maybe this is why I haven't had trouble, although I have burned mix CD's and such without problems.

I am not a pirate whining about copy protection - I don't even want a single backup copy. I just want to play a legally purchased game on one legally purchased computer without having my expensive hardware destroyed - is that really too much to ask? :down:

If I had heard of the problems with Starforce, I would never have risked buying SHIII. Now I own it and enjoy it too much to get rid of it - although I now feel I am taking a serious risk every day which it is installed.

Releasing SHIV without destructive copy-protection would be an unimaginably good idea for Ubisoft. By all means though, include copy-protection. It may be useless for stopping the vast majority of large-scale pirates, but it will stop a few and that is better than nothing. Thumbs Up
kiwi_2005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad)1: :lurk:

Neal,
Why are there no "Hugs" emoticons. It could come in handy when threads get heated. Hugs are good and can calm a poster down in seconds. Yep

Gizzmoe your an ok moderator and do give good sound advice. You could of banned me or sent me to the brig for the incident about the Oblivion guide DL, yet you didn't. And skybird your ok too.

Hugs Very Happy
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi_2005 wrote:
Why are there no "Hugs" emoticons. It could come in handy when threads get heated. Hugs are good and can calm a poster down in seconds. Yep

"Do Not Hug Me!"
-Worf, Son of Mogh

Razz
Drebbel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonin wrote:
Drebbel wrote:
This is not a victory at all, just a reminder of how difficult it is to protect your own stuff from being stolen.

It is all of us who use illegal software who are too blame companies have to take measures like this.

Please speak for yourself. I've never used 'cracked' anything.

Hmmmm I could swear I wrote It is all of us who use illegal software who are too blame ...

So I do not understand your remark at all. Guess something is lost in translation somewhere. Smile
Skybird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you mean when saying: "us"?

I certainly do not consider a pirate or user of illegal software being a honorable member of this community, at last. "All of us who use..." ?

And why is the interests of a company always automatzically rated higher than the interests of those user who are no pirates, and bought their software in an ordinary way? why do companies have the right to impose the risk of technological problems on honest customers because of that? And why are honest customers expected to accept that arrangement?
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:

I certainly do not consider a pirate or user of illegal software being a honorable member of this community, at last. "All of us who use..." ?

And why is the interests of a company always automatzically rated higher than the interests of those user who are no pirates, and bought their software in an ordinary way? why do companies have the right to impose the risk of technological problems on honest customers because of that? And why are honest customers expected to accept that arrangement?

Why does everyone have to go through metal detectors at an airport? Shouldn't it just be the terrorists? Would save the rest of us a lot of time.
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then surely everyone should be thrown into prison and only released when deamed to be innocent.

there are many many reverse-role arguments that could be used and it isnt helpful going down that route.
DeepSix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's execute all the shifty-looking ones before they commit whatever crime I know they're plotting.:nope:
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godalmighty83 wrote:
then surely everyone should be thrown into prison and only released when deamed to be innocent.

there are many many reverse-role arguments that could be used and it isnt helpful going down that route.

Thanks, Godalmighty83, you've demonstrated the textbook straw man arguememnt.

No, we don't jail or execute everyone. But we do check everyone. We have to if we want any chance of stopping them.

Quote:
Description of Straw Man
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

Person A has position X.
Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
Person B attacks position Y.
Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.

Examples of Straw Man

Prof. Jones: "The university just cut our yearly budget by $10,000."
Prof. Smith: "What are we going to do?"
Prof. Brown: "I think we should eliminate one of the teaching assistant positions. That would take care of it."
Prof. Jones: "We could reduce our scheduled raises instead."
Prof. Brown: " I can't understand why you want to bleed us dry like that, Jones."

"Senator Jones says that we should not fund the attack submarine program. I disagree entirely. I can't understand why he wants to leave us defenseless like that."

Bill and Jill are arguing about cleaning out their closets:
Jill: "We should clean out the closets. They are getting a bit messy."
Bill: "Why, we just went through those closets last year. Do we have to clean them out everyday?"
Jill: "I never said anything about cleaning them out every day. You just want too keep all your junk forever, which is just ridiculous."
Skybird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:
Skybird wrote:

Why does everyone have to go through metal detectors at an airport? Shouldn't it just be the terrorists? Would save the rest of us a lot of time.

Metal detector and passive scan for all passengers is one thing. Cutting all of their bellies open to see if they are smuggling something in their stomachs is something different.

Your comparsion does not work. Nor does the often "should I remove the lock on my door"-thing. SF somewhat replaced the lock on your door. Not only does the new one not work reliable, causing you sometimes a headache to get into your flat, you also are not told who else got keys for that lock of yours.

That's why in the end of my meeting with SF I ended up replacing not only the new lock again, but the whole door and frame. Only way to be sure. Smile
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Neal Stevens wrote:

Metal detector and passive scan for all passengers is one thing. Cutting all of their bellies open to see if they are smuggling something in their stomachs is something different.

Your comparsion does not work. ...

My comparison doesn't work? Lol, why would we cut open stomachs? Don't you know how metal detectors work? They can detect metal--inside--the stomach. No need to cut anyone. But everyone has to be assumed guilty and slightly inconvienenced to try to prevent hijackings. Copy protection must be used on all games CD, even for honest people like you, to try to prevent dishonest people from copying the games.

Maybe some people who go through metal detectors have headaches later, but it didn't bother me Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: