Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sonar Frequencies

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Sonar Frequencies Reply with quote

In SC some one developed a sonar frequency chart that ID almost all sonar signals, and I used that a lot. Does such a chart exist for DW and if so where would I find it.
I used the chart in SC for IDing surface ships and the damm aircraft. God they should be outlawed. Nothing ruins a Submariners day like a Helo or P-3 Damn
I know the chart in SC does not match the sonar in DW, I tried that.

Thanks,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
John Channing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this...

http://www.ubootflotte.de/download/spiele/dw/dw-soundprofile.exe

although I don't think it has aircraft.

JCC
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: How do you use it? Reply with quote

I appreciate the chart, but I don't understand how to use it. Can someone explain it to me?

Sub Sailor
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you id an aircraft with sonar? For that matter how do you detect an aircraft with sonar? Surprised
OneShot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in Stock DW, the Sonar Sensor expanded a bit over the Surface, and since at least the Playable Airborne Plattforms had SL numbers associated it was possible to detect them on Broadband if they are pretty low. In the LwAmi mod this has been changed, mostly because of the missile detection or so ... Lw, could you answer that? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choices were detectable aircraft and no missile transients, detectable aircraft and missiles you could track on sonar over the water, or no aircraft detections and missile transients that work the way they should.

We couldn't have it all because of the way the sonar model works (the air is just as good at propagating sound as the water with no break at the surface :shifty: ), so the general agreement is that the missile transients working properly was the most important.

In stock DW, you can track aircraft and helos on BroadBand sonar, they will appear as a loud broadband noise, but do not have a narrowband profile so you can't ID them like that.
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Dipping Sonar Reply with quote

GunnersMate all active sonar has a frequency, most Helos are in the 10-14 K region, that is how you distinguish between Aircraft and Surface.
Surface craft sonar will run between 1200 and 18200 and US subs have those frequencies stored in a Library for ID ing different sets.
Helos can go active on their dipping sonar, I have heard it many times, active sonar buoys also can be detected.
All I was asking has a chart been developed like the SCX Ping list that provided frequency and platforms, broken down into surface, air, and mined warfare, for use in DW? The frequencies could also be matched with a country.
Very useful when some one is pinging and you are picking it up on you active detector along with time rate, signal strength, and bearing. DW has an autocrew for this very useful piece of equipment.

Sub Sailor
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooops Embarassed Tought he meant passive! Confused :8Cool :doh:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: