Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Security and opening Multiplayer/Gamespy ports
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Multiplayer Matchup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nattydread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Security and opening Multiplayer/Gamespy ports Reply with quote

What are the security risks of having the required ports always open for gamespy multiplayer of DW?

Im having a really bad internet lag all over my network now, i found an "unknown" computer accessing an IP address off my network, i changed everything to deny it access, but still my internet is dragging...oddly speed checks still show me with very high speeds(+2200 kbps).

Im trying tpo find out whats the odds that all this is connected, especially being the very next time i logged onto my system after accepting, but seemingly failed, to download a custom mission last night. Could that have been a ploy to slip something much more sinister past my firewall? is it a coincidence? am i just paranoid? could their even be a way to slip something sinister into my system bu using the DW multiplayer mechanics and UI?

I've been working on this problem for hours and its beginning to drive me nuts, this is a brand new install of XP so im surprised to be hit with something so depilatating so quickly after a re-format.
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be paranoic..................but if so you are not alone !!

I had similar experiences over a year ago resulting in a reinstall of XP and a change of ISP.

Last edited by Bellman on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
goldorak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellman wrote:
You may well be paranoic..................but if so you are not alone !!

I had similar experiences over a year ago resulting in a reinstall of XP and a change of ISP.

Extreme caution with limiting MP exposure has stilll resulted in Trojans finding their way into my DW folder
and linking to so called secure storage area/s.

My future participation in MP and on the internet is under review.

Your problem has to be somewhere else.
I have windows xp pro updated to the latest security patches, firewall and router configured in optimal way, all ports blocked except those few that are used in applications/games.
I use firefox, don't click on strange banners, don't download <<pirate links>>, and have yet to catch a virus, trojan, malware etc... since the last time I installed windows xp.
That is over 2 years ago Yep

The point is be concerned about computer security but don't be paranoid and most of all don't blame windows xp for things wich arise from user doing things he shouldn't do.
RippedCap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a multi-layered approach. My ADSL/router has a hardware firewall so I can port forward the right ports to the right IP on my little LAN (saves using the DMZ 'solution'). Also, on my local PC I run a software firewall as well to detect anything inbound/outbound that shouldn't be there.

PC security is one of those areas where you can take all right steps but you'll still be vulnerable to those 0-day exploits. I always make sure to take backups of key data and configs 'just in case'. No parania needed, just sensible precautions.

-- Rip
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I 'm not listing what I do but its thorough and broadly conforms to what the last posters
have said. I have a router with firewall, a software firewall and other security measures.

But as Rip said '' you will still be vulnerable....'' - and to some its a challenge.

Last edited by Bellman on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total
OneShot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best security against that is as always to practice "safe file transfer" or in other words only play with trustworthy people. Aside from that, I play DW and other MP games for a hell of a long time, and the only issue with viruses was not because of a game but because of me being dumb and leaving the virusscan turned off while using emule.

Lesson learned, I keep my VirusScan on at practically all times. And the only problems I have now are because I have wrecked my system with installing too much stuff, of which only a quarter is needed, so my system is slowed down. And some uninstall routines have worked less then acceptable.

I'm not sure what some fellows do, but somehow in all of my time playing online I apparently have by chance avoided all those bad guys with trojans and whatnot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a router with a hardware firewall and then layer that with anti-virus and firewall software utilizing heuristic detection you shouldn't have a problem.

People get into trouble with computer security because they try to go cheap, misconfigure multiple pieces of software that intefer with each other, or expose themselves to high risk code without taking proper precaution.
nattydread

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it possible to have something bad piggy-back on a custom mission or use DW as a way into the system?

Wow...that will make me think twice about playing custom missions now.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to imbed a virus into any file.

Using anti-virus software will greatly reduce the likelihood of this happening.

In terms of trojans specific to DW missions, this is possible but very unlikely... a security expert would probably class your average DW custom mission as a "low threat", meaning as dangerous as any other file from something other than a piece of software bought in a store.

In terms of playing DW in MP, that vulnerability is mostly related to the vulnerablities in WinXP/DirectPlay8, and you can get around that by using a software firewall/AV software that can detect trojans and intrusion signatures, preferably in combination with a hardware firewall.

To me, this stuff has nothing to do with DW in particular, but is just basic internet security. If you have the basic tools and configure them correctly, unless you do high risk activities, you will be fine 99.95%. And no, playing legitament copies of DW (third-party or user mods are considered legit for the most part, depending on whether it breaks the EULA) or other online games from reputable sources generally is not considered a high risk activity, provided you have your system protected.
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would be extremely naive to ignore the 'security' issues involved in and around any military sim.
''Just basic internet security'' can be easily defeated.

The problem is distinguishing 'proper' authority overseeing from other neo-criminal activity.

Last edited by Bellman on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:07 am; edited 3 times in total
nattydread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I had left the required ports on my router for MP open for a week, but left my zonealarm on at the sametime, would I be vulnerable to anything slipping in unseen, something that could attack my system while the computer was off and/or while it was on?

The reason being I havent used an anti-virus program in years, but because of my very restrictive computing habits, I havent needed one. But now with my interets in DW's MP, im getting a bit worried with all the open ports. Is playing DW multiplayer any more dangerous than playing other online games like WWIIOnline, or EVE, Ghost Recon/Rainbow SIx, etc. that dont require opening any special ports?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ports only have to be opened if you are the one hosting.

If you are not hosting, you don't have to open any ports in your hardware.

The reason you do not have to open ports for those other games is that you are not using your computer as the ad hoc server to run the game, you are connecting as a client.

So, no, DW is no more vulnerable than any other software using DirectPlay 8.

@Bellman, I haven't heard about anyone cracking DW MP code, I think it is just general stuff about DirectPlay 8... which, is a concern, I repeat, that can be largely negated by keeping your A/V and firewall software up-to-date and running a hardware firewall.
Bellman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LW: Razz I repeat hardware and software present and all 'obviously' uptodate.
Sure you dont have 'hicks' in mind ? If so - thanks a lot !

Please take your telescope off the 'blind-eye' ! It is not necessary to crack the code - just introduce
spy measures into any folder.

Last edited by Bellman on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why the DW folder as opposed to some other random folder?

Once someone is in your system, they could put files anywhere... surely they would put them somewhere more useful than your DW folder?

I'm really not following this conversation... anyone with the skills to crack code like this would not waste their time on a piece of software used by such a small community as DW, if only because it would be fairly evident what had happened and where it came from... I mean, there is only one mod team, four solo modders, and like 15 mission designers? Yep Wink
nattydread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
The ports only have to be opened if you are the one hosting.

If you are not hosting, you don't have to open any ports in your hardware.

The reason you do not have to open ports for those other games is that you are not using your computer as the ad hoc server to run the game, you are connecting as a client.

So, no, DW is no more vulnerable than any other software using DirectPlay 8.

@Bellman, I haven't heard about anyone cracking DW MP code, I think it is just general stuff about DirectPlay 8... which, is a concern, I repeat, that can be largely negated by keeping your A/V and firewall software up-to-date and running a hardware firewall.

I thought the ports were required to be open for host and joiners. I had problems before with other games on gamespy using my router. Granted I didnt try to play with them closed this time around.

Can someone else confirm that the opening of router ports is only required for hosting.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Multiplayer Matchup All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: