Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Victoria Class USS Princess Diana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this an adequate name for a Victoria Class Submarine?
Absolutely
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Yes
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
I do not care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Absolutely not
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Nexus7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Victoria Class USS Princess Diana Reply with quote

Somehow puzzling this name for a sub. What do you think? Rolling Eyes
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that news item was a April Fools Joke?
Nexus7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wouldn't be a good April joke if nobody would fall in right? Damn
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stands though who would want to see a submarine named after princess diana a DDG maybe cause in her life time she did do some wonderful things and go to some realy rough places.

Even after he death nearly 10 years ago people are still touched and moved if not motivated by what she has done no one else in the royal family bar the queen and queen mum have done so much like she has, she didnt have to do it, but she went out of her way to help those who needed that help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did name the last SW "Jimmy Carter". Damn :down: Rolling Eyes

I'd rather it be named "Princess Diana", that's far more tough sounding. Yep Cool
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:

I'd rather it be named "Princess Diana", that's far more tough sounding. Yep Cool

You know that the Navy is running low on money when the rule about never naming a warship after a living president gets forgotten.

That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to name an American warship after any monarchs. I think we've gone way too far in a counterproductive direction already. I mean... geez... we fought a whole war to get rid of kings named George. Then we go and elect two more?
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit, I fell for it the first time I saw it. Embarassed I forgot Neal Stevens is a real joker around April the 1st. Very Happy
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the fact that it was an April Fools day joke, the US does not, and will not operate diesel submarines (excepting a few research boats), let alone foreign ones. Therefore, a Victoria-class USS Princess Diana is impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kapitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that that picture is not even a victoria class, and also there was only four built and all reside in canada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Picky, I know, but -

SQ:
Quote:
I dont think its a good idea to name an American warship after any monarchs

Diana was a Princess but not a monarch - the Queen allowed her to keep the title as mother of
a potential future monarch.

Neals tease is not far off the mark given Americas historical 'resistance' to monarchy. The divorced Diana
was almost anti-establishment.

However its unlikely that the USA, or the UK for that matter would adopt her name for 'military' purposes
in view of her high profile opposition to the use of landmines..................................................but Canada, who knows. Wink Laughing
Only teasing. Joking
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaQueen wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:

You know that the Navy is running low on money when the rule about never naming a warship after a living president gets forgotten.

That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to name an American warship after any monarchs. I think we've gone way too far in a counterproductive direction already. I mean... geez... we fought a whole war to get rid of kings named George. Then we go and elect two more?

You forget about USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76 and USS George H. W. Bush CVN-77? Rolling Eyes
I'd like to see CVN-78 named USS Franklin D Roosevelt Thumbs Up
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GunnersMate wrote:
SeaQueen wrote:
LuftWolf wrote:

You forget about USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76 and USS George H. W. Bush CVN-77? Rolling Eyes
I'd like to see CVN-78 named USS Franklin D Roosevelt Thumbs Up

There was already a carrier named USS Franklin D Roosevelt. It was CV-42, Midway-class.

I think that they should go back to the old style names, Langley, Lexington, Saratoga, Ranger, Yorktown, etc. I know that there have been rebuilds of some of these, especially in the Wasp-class LHDs, like Essex, but these names were the core of our aircraft carrier fleet for more than a half-century.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSLTIGER wrote:
I think that they should go back to the old style names, Langley, Lexington, Saratoga, Ranger, Yorktown, etc.

Amen! Thumbs Up

We might be needing another Enterprise too as well.
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
JSLTIGER wrote:
I think that they should go back to the old style names, Langley, Lexington, Saratoga, Ranger, Yorktown, etc.

Amen! Thumbs Up

We might be needing another Enterprise too as well.

Absolutely...that's my pick for CVN-78. Have one Enterprise replace another (being that CVN-78 is supposed to replace Enterprise CVN-65). If not that, Enterprise should be the second unit of the class.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not Enterprise then Constitution would be my pick for the 1st of the new CV class. Come on admit it everyone wants to see a Constitution class USS Enterprise. Laughing

Although I doubt that can/is going to happen.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: