Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

The SHIV Campaign

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: The SHIV Campaign Reply with quote

Like SHIII I am certain that the SHIV campaign will be good. But like SHIII I am sure that it will have a lot missing and there will be plenty of room for historical improvements.

This is not meant as a derogative mark against the Dev Team, but the reality of development priorities and deadlines.

I know SHIV is a Loooooooooooooong way off, but who here actually has the knowledge? As in real detailed knowledge of ports used, shipping lanes and the type of ships using them as they went to and from Japan?
Torplexed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese Merchant Marine in WW2 is considered the best definitive work of the subject. Sadly, unlike the Allied convoy effort the Japanese one has never been researched to the same extent. A lot of that may be due to careless record keeping and haphazard ship routing by the Japanese themselves.

DeepSix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read that one Torplexed mentioned (but I'm glad I found out about it), but FWIW Clay Blair says the main "bottleneck" of Japanese shipping was through the Luzon Strait. I'm not sure, though, whether that was known during the war or only found out after.
Bilge_Rat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepSix wrote:
Haven't read that one Torplexed mentioned (but I'm glad I found out about it), but FWIW Clay Blair says the main "bottleneck" of Japanese shipping was through the Luzon Strait. I'm not sure, though, whether that was known during the war or only found out after.

It was found out late in the war, early 1944 I believe. After that, US subs were regularly sent to that hunting ground.
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we know it is a long time off, but it would be nice to start organising a NYGM SHIV Team who have the facts and figures etc to improve the campaign.

Plan the Japanese shipping and air campaign out, what ports there should be, what were the shipping lanes, the type of ships in each area and the frequency. What inter island traffic there is etc Sampans and the likes.

Then there is the American ports and airbases as the war changes.

There is a lot more to happen in this campaign than there was in the SHIII. So it would be great to be able to hit the ground running.
CCIP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd also be great to take those suggestions and throw them over to the devs - so that, if we can't have everything, at least we should hope that they won't omit some of the key stuff and have a default campaign in such a state that it would be easy to add to it without having to 'fix' it (like, say, I had to do by doing that convoy zig-zag/re-routing project).
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepSix & Torplexed,
Thanks for the pointers regarding the books.
Threadfin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The devs need to get their hands on a copy of ONI-208J/ONI-223M . And then that needs to be put in the sim as (one of) the recognition book(s).

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/books-plans/scalespecialties/merchant-cd.html
Captain Krunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threadfin wrote:
The devs need to get their hands on a copy of ONI-208J/ONI-223M . And then that needs to be put in the sim as (one of) the recognition book(s).l

I thought the same thing, until I got my hands on ONI-208J and printed it out. It's 419 pages long! It has lots of great data, but it's probably overkill, even for something like SHIV. Hopefully they'll still use it as a basis for their work.
DeepSix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/

That's probably overkill, too, but - man! - whatever you want to know about USN fleet boats. There are several other books in that series, too - each one dealing with individual major mechanical systems.

That site also has some recognition manuals (including Germany and Japan, IIRC) for sale on CD-ROM.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: