Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

TMA

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLACK!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: TMA Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a question regarding tma.

When I have a merged contact on the tma screen, it seems to me more confusing than using only one sensor.
I know from sc that the real position of the object should be at an intersection of the LOS from the two sensors.
That isn't true for DW, or is it?
Does anybody else has this problem?
Thanks for your answers

Black
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will only be at the intersection point if the two sensors are in different positions, for example, if one sensor is a distant UUV or the towed array. There will be some inaccuracy, as with any bearing, but this will be reduced by greater lateral separation of the two sensors.
compressioncut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say line of sound do you mean the LOS on the TMA plot or the bearing line on the navmap? If you have two bearing lines on the navmap that intersect (say, from the tail and a sonobuoy), then yes, where they intersect should be about where the contact is more or less, allowing for bearing errors inherent to the sensors. The inaccuracies of the sensors create what's called an "area of probability," or AOP. The angle of the intersection also contributes to the size of the AOP.

Also keep in mind that intersecting bearing lines don't mean you have a merged track. A merged track is one that has been tracked on multiple sensors, and then merged into a single NTDS symbol on the navmap, with tracking/indicating (course/speed) information shown in the contact summary box. I don't believe you can merge sonobuoy contacts, although aircraft will link them out as what look like merge tracks.

Now, if you mean the LOS lines on the TMA plot, then no, the target is not necessarily located at the intersection of the lines. The intersection can mean any number of things depending on yours and the target's course and speed, and the relationship between them.
BLACK!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only talking about TMA in a sub.
Is the inaccuracy small enough to get firering solution?
It's a little bit confusing to me because in sub command the intersection was the exact location of the enemy ship.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some inaccuracy involved in SC intersection points as well, in fact, as far as I can tell, intersection points in DW are more precise than they were in SC (an indication that the bearings sent to TMA, when not corrupted, are slightly more accurate than in SC).

My best guess as to what might be causing the difference is that in DW, when the TA is turning, the bearing line is off the mark and needs to be disregarded. Any intersection that line makes with a line from any other sensor is pure junk.
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

compressioncut wrote:
I don't believe you can merge sonobuoy contacts, although aircraft will link them out as what look like merge tracks.

Correction: AI aircraft.
Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: