Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SHIV- only one thing comes to my mind
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safe-Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So no wolfpacks then, no milk cows, nothing new really....just SHIII all over again but in the pacific.

SHAME! uh uh!

Same engine=Nothing new?

Fallacy. Compare Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe to X-Wing Alliance. See any differences?

Here's the surprise: They both use the same engine (although the engine's been updated slightly troughout the years, of course Razz ).

Likewise, Empire Earth and Empires: DOTW. Same engine, very different experience.

And they didn't say "same engine with no changes", they said "same engine".
don1reed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few things that concern me for SHiv is if the devs can produce a decent Kollmorgan periscope with a split image range finder, like in real life. One you wouldn't have to follow the bouncing-ball with...see here:
http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/periscope.html

and later in the war, a radar-thru-the-scope range finder...ooooooah.

With SH, SHII, SHIII it's nearly impossible to get a visual range on a ship during anything over Beaufort 4. That split image gave the shooter excellent range with a twist of the wrist no matter the wx.

rgds,
The Noob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know what, i will Continue to Play Both SHIII and SHIV, if SHIV Comes Out!
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noob wrote:
Ya know what, i will Continue to Play Both SHIII and SHIV, if SHIV Comes Out!

Thumbs Up Yep
von Stahlhelm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the sh4 engine is better an the game is more "complete" than sh3 i hope for an addon or a good mod wich turn the game back to the german side.
i dont know if its a real challenge to play on the american side.
i read a autobiography of the japanese zen-master taisen deshimaru.
long before he become a monk he must go to war, like many japanese people. to get in the southpacific he must board a freighter in a big convoi,
guarde by some destroyers. at the half of the way the convoi was attacked by american subs. they handled the convoi like a shooting gallery and the japanese destroyers cant defeat the american subs. at last only the ship with deshimaru survived the journey - only to get bombed at his destination.
luckely mr. deshimaru survived it.
i know that many people dont like to play "nazis". me as a german dont like nazis too, but the german u-boat war was more challenging than on american side, i think.
and sorry for my horrible english Cool
ups, i see they using the same old gameengine - i hope they give an option for an merged installation like in il2+pacific fighters.
thats a pretty god way to play both sides an get sh3 updated - but i think thats just an wet dream
:shifty:
DeepSix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an "Atlantic mod" for SH4 would be possible, but I also think it can be challenging (and rewarding) to play the American side. Especially if the early war defects of the U.S. torpedos and pistols are represented, and given the fact that U.S. boats were expected to take on warships. If the game incorporates some sort of system whereby the skipper gets "relieved" of command for failure to produce results - with faulty torpedoes to boot - it could be a real challenge! Smile
U-104

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Yep
Wulfmann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some play concerns about the decreasing difficulty a Pacific campaign has it would be very wise for UBI to have a mod to SH3 in this SH4 as a bonus.
That alone would get extra sales. IMO and since these improvements would be made for SH4 some back dating would require little effort considering the potential extra sales.

Perhaps playing a Waffen SS tank commander would justify a no play but the Kriegsmarine was down right anti-Nazi so I have no problem playing one that fights for his homeland and not the devil that had its grips on Germany as well as other welcomed places west of the Rhine!

Wulfmann
AceChilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad I don't think about politics when playing a PC game, my life is complicated enough without having to worry about such things Wink

And Im really glad they are going to use the old engine, that means they have more resources avalaible for fundamental gameplay improvements. Thats alot more important than a new graphics engine. besides the SH3 engine is fine, it looks good, no need to change that. :sunny:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: