Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SHIV- only one thing comes to my mind
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mapuc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: SHIV- only one thing comes to my mind Reply with quote

I think we all know what has happen to SHII, when SHIII came out. Wonder if the same is gonna happen with SHIII, when SHIV hits the desk

Regards
Markus
Torplexed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH2 and SH3 shared the same subject matter: The German U-Boat campaign in the Atlantic. If the subject of SH4 is the American (or Allied) submarine campaign in the Pacific there are some who won't be interested in picking it up because they feel historically the Pacific campaign wasn't as much of a challenge for a virtual submarine captain as it's Atlantic counterpart. On the other hand there will be those who would never touch a U-Boat simulator who will be more than happy to play skipper of a USN boat.

And then there those who won't switch because they feel Allied subs just aren't as sleek and cool as the German ones. It all comes down to taste I guess.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a few who will be ecstatic; they didn't like the idea of playing *Nazis*, or they just didn't want to sink British and American ships.

Me, I just want to run a sub, and I think the Pacific campaign will be a nice bit of variety, plus a return to the glory days of SHI.

As to mapuc's original question: I dropped SHII as soon as SHIII came out, but mainly because of the former's lack of dynamic career mode. Unless SHIV is a whole new game and several orders of magnitude better, I'm betting people will play both, as SHIV looks to be similar except for the location.
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I would like to see it to be Pac this time. And I'm not even american. Read the books writen by Edgar L. Beach and you'll find out, Pac is that doll. Thumbs Up
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, somehow I miss (for example) TDC, which can do tracking. USN had it, Germans didn't. Yep
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again, it's a long time we got SH in Pac. Have to be ten years or something. Now we have exellent Atlantic campaign based game in SHIII + mods availible and coming, so why should they (Devs) do it third time?
-Pv-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those who has been waiting for MANY years for a modern graphics PACIFIC sub theater. Can't wait to take on those carrier fleets and the titanic sea battles that occured over thousands of miles and hundreds of famous islands. I'll be standing in line to buy it and will pay whatever they ask for it. To recreate those epic experiences with up-to-date graphics is LONG over due. I bought SHII (though I enjoyed Pacific Aces more) and III and enjoyed them, I still long after Silent Service which let me rome all over the Pacific in thousands of hours of never-ending entertainment.
-Pv-
finchOU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest question on everyone's mind would be how far from the tree will SH4 fall from SH3. What really are they going to do to change the sim...to improve it?? Me personally the Pacific is new to me (never played the original SH) and would be a nice change of scenery....but I really could care less unless they FIX KNOWN BUGS and IMPROVE on the sim they have. Other wise....SH4 is just SH3 with makeup (BOOOO!). When news starts flowing about SH4....I really hope the Community gets some basic questions anwsered on how SH4 will improve on SH3 (other than aesthetics). Sooooo much can be improved on the great sim that SH3 is.
kc23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as one who will be standing in line to buy when it comes out. I'd buy it if there weren't any improvements over SHIII at all. My guess is both will be able to run together, but perhaps that is wishful thinking.
Capt. Nemo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved SH, I liked and played SH II a lot.
Bought SH III and did not know about Starforce when I bought it from Subsim so never played it. It is still up there on the shelf.
I have been taken once but not again.
If SH IV has Starforce I will not buy it, if it does not I will.
I still play SH I and the Pacific is a great place to play Submarine.
Uber Gruber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame, UBI really had a chance to produce a killer of a game with SHIV but latest announcements reveal it to be a rehash of SHIII with "some" improvements.

So no wolfpacks then, no milk cows, nothing new really....just SHIII all over again but in the pacific.

SHAME! :nope:
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Uber, who is telling you there won't be anything really new? I think, UBI has learned a lot with SHII and III. There is many other things than wolfpacks and milkcows which are actually "terra incognito". Like ship interaction, crew interaction, interaction between boats and HQ, boats vulnerability models, boats behavior, crew management, system management and so on. I hope Devs will be more interested in to bring awesome new features into players boat. And who has actually said there won't be any wolfpack action, or at least AI controlled friendly subs?

I'm optimistic. Devs have to know also how much work has been done by SHIII moderators. Let's see what will happen.

-RC-
donut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveing for the day,SHIV Thumbs Up :sunny: Thumbs Up :sunny: Thumbs Up :gulp:
STEED

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am counting the days. Smile Laughing Very Happy Thumbs Up :sunny:
Torplexed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber Gruber wrote:
So no wolfpacks then, no milk cows, nothing new really....just SHIII all over again but in the pacific.

SHAME! :nope:

The US Navy never used mikcows. Sub tenders on occasion perhaps.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: