Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

OT: the Iranian Shkval
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that transponeder was working then the plane could have been enguaged long before it crashed into the pentagon saving alot of lives.

I think that all civil aircraft should have a transponder that is activated by the airport they leave rather than doing it themselves so ATC can make absolutly sure its not doing something that it shouldnt be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmyg00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I stoned, or am I not seeing any discussion about the original topic of the post? Surprised

This is a gold mine of naval discussion, tactical discussion, scenario building... and maybe even... mod discussion...

come on y'all!

TG
The Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd like to mention that I think it was about 3 or 4 years ago that the americans had an expirimental supercavitation weapon in the works. DARPA is into all sorts of intereting stuff that we'll probably never hear about. The russians plan for shkval-II seams to make the most sense though. I forget where I heard about it but apparently, the russians want to make a next-generation super-cavitating torpedo that will supercavitate towards its target at 300 or so knots, then slow down to speeds simular to a normal torpedo (say 30-50 knots) and aquire its target on active sonar, then speed up again and super cavitate to its target. While not fool-proof (I bet active countermeasures could conceviably throw it off) this makes a lot more sense that just shooting an unguided 300 knot supercavitating bullet.
Orm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Kapitan wrote:
One tiny little switch can give a stealth plane away, its called the transponeder, the pilot only has to hit that active switch by accident and it will be shot down easy as any other plane.
When a Steath plane is on say a bombing mission why would the pilot be fiddleing with the Radio stack?!? Other than to maybe swap COM freqs their hand wouldn't be anywhere near the the Nav radio and XPDR. :huh: Rolling Eyes

timmyg00, please don't get mad with this post. Very Happy

But for information, during the first Gulf war, a F117 was picked up by a French Crotale AA aerial surveillance radar while it was coming back from a mission over Iraq.
DivingWind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for stealth technology Smile
goldorak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DivingWind wrote:
So much for stealth technology Smile

The term stealth is misguided.
In effect a stealth platform only reduces radar waves reflecting off the airframe (or the hull/superstructures for ships).
It does not make the platform invisibile.
So as radar technology gets better, stealth airplanes will be "less" stealthy Rotfl

On the other hand, active cancellation of radar waves would make the airplane "invisible" to radar.
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most funny thing is Iranian pretend the new underwater missile to be stealth at sonar !
I can imagine how a rocket motor could be stealth underwater Rotfl

One very impressive thing from iranian is also the fly boat :

http://inbrief.threatswatch.org/2006/04/irans-stealth-advances-the-ira/

If Iranian mix them, this could be a nasty combinaison !
timmyg00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKO wrote:
the most funny thing is Iranian pretend the new underwater missile to be stealth at sonar !
I can imagine how a rocket motor could be stealth underwater Rotfl

One very impressive thing from iranian is also the fly boat :

http://inbrief.threatswatch.org/2006/04/irans-stealth-advances-the-ira/

If Iranian mix them, this could be a nasty combinaison !
Actually, I think the Iranians are currently testing 2 different items: a "stealthy" land-based anti-ship missile and the presumably-supercavitating torpedo. The media/press is probably confusing the two items in their reports.

In any case, it seems like they are not screwing around when it comes to naval defense measures... or perhaps they're just blowing a bunch of hot air for propaganda's sake.

TG
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, its over glamoured, if this weapon is anything like the russian built skhval there realy isnt alot to worry about.

The kilo's cant load it out because the tubes are not designed for them and never have been (unless that was why they sent them for upgrade).

The new submarines as xabba said are nothing more than glorified sang O's ie very small submarines and id doubt they could loud out this weapon it would be A too big B to advanced C take up too much space and personaly id say they would have to enlarge the submarine from the pictures i have seen.

As for ship launched via a missile boat, well im sure that one of thier PTG isnt going to get any closer than 30 miles to a CVBG especialy if they have an aegis ship in it, the iranians will be blown out of the water longbefore they got into range.

The missile torpedo itself, eats fuel and will have an max range of only 10 or 11 miles at tops. even at 200knots the torpedo cant use sonar its straight runningso a ship only has to turn.

Fire it from a submarine well bit like going to mount everest with the worlds loudest megaphone and screaming down it at the top of your lungs, you will inform everyone in the entire persian gulf if not further that you are there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad just called me to watch out for Iranians bearing super sonic stealth torpedoes... Rotfl (No not really...)

The F117 is so first gen...

(Quickies...)

So t, you want Iranian subs to fire Squals now, eh? Well... the problem with that is there is no evidence any subs or ships currently in the Iranian Navy are capable of firing Squals... I can't justify giving them to the Iranian Kilos, because wouldn't it then make sense that the Russian Kilos would be able to fire them already? :hmm:

I think this is just a bunch of blustering two bit crap...
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Iran announced its second major new missile test within days, saying Sunday it has successfully fired a high-speed underwater missile capable of destroying huge warships and submarines

So, the AP is placing Iranian propaganda in their subheads without reference? Shouldn't that blurb end in, "So Iranian Spokesmen Say?," or is it just that I'm reading it wrong? In any case, it's vague... :8Cool

Don't they have schools that people who become journalists have to go to? What the hell are they teaching there???
timmyg00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
So t, you want Iranian subs to fire Squals now, eh? Well... the problem with that is there is no evidence any subs or ships currently in the Iranian Navy are capable of firing Squals... I can't justify giving them to the Iranian Kilos, because wouldn't it then make sense that the Russian Kilos would be able to fire them already? :hmm:

I think this is just a bunch of blustering two bit crap...
I would never want that if it were not realistic... I was just trying to spur some conversation on what is (or is said to be) going on in the real-world in comparison to what is or could be modeled in DW.

As for evidence, what "evidence" do we have for any of the "facts and figures" that currently populate our treasured sims? We all know that a good percentage of what is modeled in DW is educated guesswork, especially for AI and playable units of non-US forces.

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting topic for discussion.

TG
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly is... Smile

Perhaps I just find this to be a particularly amusing claim for the Iranians to make, and I can just imagine the many many exchanges between Russian and Iranian negotiators to get a few Squals to fire off into the ocean at nothing in particular at some randomly appointed time. Laughing
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for evidence, what "evidence" do we have for any of the "facts and figures" that currently populate our treasured sims? We all know that a good percentage of what is modeled in DW is educated guesswork, especially for AI and playable units of non-US forces.

Well this is a great point of course.

I try to make the work done on the Mod at least internally consistent... so that even if something lacks a solid external reference point, it has relative reference points within the database.

Iranian's having Squals doesn't make much for them, both in real life and in the Mod, at least, that's my estimation. I could add them, but they would never be used really on their surface ships... and none of their subs are suitable for the reasons Kapitain spelled out in his post above.
goldorak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapitan wrote:

The missile torpedo itself, eats fuel and will have an max range of only 10 or 11 miles at tops. even at 200knots the torpedo cant use sonar its straight runningso a ship only has to turn.

Sure, but do they have the time to evade ? :hmm:

Kapitan wrote:

Fire it from a submarine well bit like going to mount everest with the worlds loudest megaphone and screaming down it at the top of your lungs, you will inform everyone in the entire persian gulf if not further that you are there.

Ah but you are reasoning in western terms.
How about a suicide mission ?
Get near an us navy aircarft carrier, fire several squalls and wait for the virgins in paradise to greet the kilo's crew.
Think about the dismay in the us military if one of the aicraft carriers should sink as a consequence of this type of attack.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: