Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Script question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Script question Reply with quote

I've had DW for a couple of months now, and here's two newbie observations: (1) half the time I'm lost; (2) the other half I'm addicted. This question comes from the addict in me.

In trying to better grasp the game, I'm trying to design a simple mission. One copmtrollable US sub vs. a Russian sub and two Russian surface warships. I think I've set the initial elements up correctly: war time; alliances (Russian vs. American); search boxes; weather variables; set my US sub as the target of attack for each Russian vessel; left the emcon box unchecked, etc.

But I'm baffled by scripts and triggers. Not entirely: I think I put together an accurate non-collision script for all the Russian platforms. But how do I delete bad or unnecessary scripts? How do I link triggers to specific scripts? Seems like every time I visit the scripts window, another numbered, unwanted script shows up in my list. Thanks for any guidance. I'm presuming scripts are necessary -- if only to close out a mission.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a few pointers...

First, if you don't have multiple sides teamed up together, you don't need to bother with the alliances. Different sides are assumed to be hostile unless you ally them.

To access scripts you've already created, do NOT click the script icon at the bottom of the screen. Instead, hit Escape to view the list of all the objects in the game, and then click the script tab on the bottom of that window.

To have a trigger activate a script, go to the last page of the trigger, where you'll find a drop down menu under a topic that reads "take action" or something similar to that. One of the options in the drop-down is "run script" and you will then be prompted to chose which script.
Fish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Script question Reply with quote

franx wrote:
But how do I delete bad or unnecessary scripts? How do I link triggers to specific scripts?

You can delete unnecessary scrips as followed open the scrip and hit Delete.
Miika

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: A few points Reply with quote

I´ve never used any non-collision scripts so far (what for..?) And I suggest that if you are new to the game you start with triggers only. Once you get used to them you can start using scripts. I think you can create very diverse and interesting scenarios with triggers only. I made my first 30 missions without any scripts.

The "windows" at the bottom are for adding you objects.

Also, all the platforms (at least if you use LwAmimod) have quite good AI capabilities, so you could create a scenario without any scripts or triggers and they would still fight each other (and the player). You would only need triggers to tell the player when the mission is complete etc.

To have some ideas, I suggest you check missions made by other people to see how they are done. I can´t talk for others, but you can check my missions; they don´t have passwords.

Hope to see your missions in the future.

Miika
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: