Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Is a full dead stop possible?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Is a full dead stop possible? Reply with quote

I know this may sound funny but is there a way to come to a full dead stop? I have tried different ways but in either case you will still drift? Even if I turned off the waveriding feature.
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead stop relative to what?
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just stop the engine and wait ... wait ... wait ... until inertia is killed.
If you are in a hurry, and don't have towed array extended, use back 1/3 to accelerate the process.

If you want to lay on the ground, wait until you slow down to 1 knts before touching the floor, or you will damage the ship.
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a full dead stop possible? Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
I know this may sound funny but is there a way to come to a full dead stop? I have tried different ways but in either case you will still drift? Even if I turned off the waveriding feature.

Did you also turn off currents? Even then, wind could still be a problem.
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winds and currents does not work a bit corretly, you should have turned them off.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Sid wrote:
Winds and currents does not work a bit corretly, you should have turned them off.

Do you mind expanding on this?
Mau

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,
I am llike Luftwolf here.
Can you explain more about the wind and the current?
I know the chaffs and flares seems to not going in the proper direction of the wind (didn't try it with th 1.03)
However I hope and expect that the wind will work properly if I do an approach in a port!!

If not than why not?
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously, in a scenario I was building recently, I had a sub and surface ship docket in port. Currents and wind were zero, by design. The sub began to drift, but the surface ship did not. Eventually, the sub drifted into the surface ship and all hell broke out Damn
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both currents and winds works same. They add specific vector to platform speed. Currents for subs and surfaces, winds for surfaces and aircrafts. So far so good.
Major problem with currents is that all critical speeds (wires, launches, masts, cavintation) ale considered against ground. So if there is 2 kts current, and your mast breaks at 10 kts, you order 10 kts (which means water speed) and at 9kts the mast will break. It's because you already have 11 kts against ground (depends also if you go against the current or with it).
All critical speeds should be measured against the medium, ie. water.
It would be grat do design mission with strong tidal current, which could be used to get quietly in a bay (or out), but with this bug you can cavitate even at 'all stop' bell, or be unable to popout any mast, except at high speed heading against the current.
Winds are not such big problem, because there is not so many speed limits. For aircrafts winds are ok (I don't see any trouble). But for surfaces (OHP) there is problem.
The wind works absolutely same as current. If there is 5 kts wind, it will add 5kts vector of speed to speed of the platform. 5kts wind will move OHP at full stop at 5kts speed. OHP will have to ortder 5kts to negate the wind. And 5kts wind is weak wind. With stronger winds, OHP can do just nothing and 'sail' with the wind.
In reality, wind has much lower effect on the surface ships. The effect also depends on aerodynamics, mainly on area exposed to the wind. If you turn ship against wind, there is much less effect than if you turn ship so wind strikes it from the side. Non of this is simulated in DW.
I think (I'm not sure) that the wind trouble is new in 1.03 .. I did not notice it before. The current trouble is there since 1.0.
Mau

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

In reality wind needs to be 15-20 kts to have the effect of a 1 kt current. (let say 20 kts).

A ship will tend to go abeam of the wind (but that I can live without)

Would it be possible to change wind and current with this ratio?

And for Bill, strange that the sub moved and the OHP didn't.
Was that with Wind and current disable or simply with a speed of 0.

Does the sub have some kind of bubule around them that makes them moving all the time (physics or sailing model of the subs in the game??)
Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Looks like I started something here Reply with quote

Hi all. Yeah. I sure can not make my sub come to a full stop on the surface or submerged. I never even tried to dock my sub anywhere. Oh. My currants, wind and waveriding are all turned off and yes I do drift. Got me?
NefariousKoel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing...

I remember people complaining about not drifting at dead stop in Sub Command.

I'd really hate to be a game developer - you just can't win. Laughing
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo. Thumbs Up
Nexus7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes somehow amusing Rotfl

But if I understood it well the vectorial calculations lack of consistency somewhere... and after all, we're just at the third patch (compared with 8(?) of the simpler SC). That doesn't make sense... we simply must complain Joking
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: