Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

(Story) Marlena Hessler Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Behavin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HW3 wrote:
I have really enjoyed reading your story, you do have a way with words. If you are not a writer by profession, you should be. Thumbs Up

Such kind words! Thank you!

No, I have never written professionally although friends and family have often tried to get me to. Some day perhaps. The hard part is coming up with a story that would sell. Lord knows I could use the income. Wink

Stay tuned as there will be more as Marlena's activities with the 11th over at W.A.W continues.

Cheers!

Heather
Miss Behavin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter Twenty-four – It’s All in the Wording

Getting back to the base, I made a temporary detour to my quarters to check my appearance before reporting to Kommandant Hellstrom. Looking in the mirror, a pale face stared back at me, but then, that was nothing unusual in the U-boat service. I had also lost some weight during my ordeal and the fit of my uniform was a bit loose. There was nothing to be done for that however, so it would have to do. Just a hint of make-up did wonders to conceal my sallow complexion and, with a deep breath of commitment, I left my quarters and proceeded across the compound to the Administrative building.

Along the way, I decided to delay a bit and have a look in the pens. Most were empty, apparently most of the boats still out on patrol, but in pen number three was U-1019, a new VIIC/40. Dockworkers and technicians were scurrying over the boat preparing her for service with some of the latest ‘goodies’ that the Kriegsmarine had at hand and I could not help but hope that this boat was my next command.

On the quay alongside, I saw a familiar profile and coming up behind him, I tapped his shoulder. “Leutnant Albert Ringelmann I presume?”

At the sound of my voice, my former XO spun around, confronting me with an obviously surprised expression at seeing me so soon out of the hospital. “Kaleun Hessler! What are you . . .” For a moment he was without words while I stood there grinning at him like the cat that ate the canary.

Finally overcoming his surprise, “We did not expect you to be released for at least another few weeks.” Glancing at my torso where the Amerikan bullet had passed through me, puncturing my right lung along the way, “You are healed? You are feeling well?”

Placing a reassuring hand on Albert’s arm, “I am fine Albert. At least fine enough to be out of that hospital. I was going crazy in there!”

Albert still looked surprised. “So, how did you manage to talk the doctor into releasing you?”

I didn’t immediately reply, looking at Albert with a sheepish grin, and I had to bite my lower lip to keep from laughing outright. Albert started to get the look he always did whenever he thought I was up to something. “He DID release you, right?”

I waved the release papers in my hand as I turned to start walking to the Kommandant’s office. Albert was right on my heels. “Why are you grinning like that? You’re always up to something when you do that.”

Putting on my most innocent expression, I glanced back at him over my shoulder. “But whatever do you mean Albert? I’m not up to anything; just returning to duty like a good Kaleun.”

Albert narrowed his eyes. “Now I truly know you are up to something. That is the most guilty looking innocent expression I have ever seen; and I know you too well.

Stopping I turned around and placed my hands on Albert’s shoulders, my face only inches from his. “Okay, here’s what’s going on. I forged the doctor’s signature on a release form and checked myself out.” Albert’s eyes began to widen. “I expect anytime, starting from tomorrow on, that the hospital is going to be calling over here to report me missing. So, for now, I need to get into the Kommandant’s office and report in before they do.”

“Gott im Himmel Marlena!” Albert cried, “Have you gone mad? They’ll have you up on AWOL charges!”

I just stood there looking at him with a smug smile on my face. He knew me well enough by now to know that I rarely entered into any situation without more than one angle to fall back on. After a moment, “What?” he inquired.

“First of all, I don’t recall ever hearing or seeing any orders telling me to stay there. Second, that is a civilian hospital with a civilian staff. Now they certainly can’t bring any charges to bear, can they.”

Wagging a reproachful finger in front of my face, Albert retorted with, “No, no, no. I distinctly recall when we were exiting the boat that Kommandant Hellstrom ordered you to get better.”

Laughing, then abruptly cutting that off as it still hurt somewhat to do so, “Well of course he did silly; but note, he said get better, not stay in the hospital. Well, I’m better, and I can finish healing up back here at the base.”

Albert rolled his eyes and slapped his hand to his forehead. “How do you get away with these things?”

With a facetious little smirk, I replied, “My charming personality, perhaps?”

It was right then that I realized that Albert was still here instead of having gone out on another boat. It had been three weeks since our return and although I had asked Kommandant Hellstrom, no, pleaded was more like it, for my remaining crewmen to stay under my command, I did not really expect that to happen and had assumed that most, if not all of them would be reassigned to other boats during my stay in the hospital. With a ponderous frown pursing my brow, I asked, “Albert? Where have you been reassigned?”

Now it was Albert’s turn to tease and a broad grin spread across his face.

Punching him lightly on the shoulder, “Albert, come on, don’t play games with me. Why are you still here?” With a dawning realization, my eyes went wide as it came to me, “The 1019, that’s your boat isn’t it! They gave you a command?” I was so pleased for him. Albert was dammed good and deserved it. During our time together I had learned as much from him as he had from me. “That is fantastic! I am so happy for you!”

By now, Albert’s smile had faltered a bit and he held up a hand halting me from any further accolades. “No, they have not given me my own command yet. The 1019 is to be your boat once you are deemed fit for full active duty again. It will take longer than that anyway to get her ready for front service.”

I was genuinely disappointed for him and it showed. “Not all news is bad Marlena,” his grin reappearing, “I am still here, as well as the rest of the surviving crew of the 406, because you got your request. Kommandant Hellstrom pulled some strings and has kept all the men together until you return to duty. We’re all still under your command.”

A squeal of delight pierced the air as I wrapped my arms around him in a fierce hug; only to be immediately cut short as a sharp pain stabbed at my ribs. Clutching a hand over my not-so-completely healed wound, I still could not help but grin. My crew and I had been through so much together and it had grieved me to think that we would all be separated. Regaining my composure as the pain subsided, “This is great news Albert! You know I would love nothing more than to see you get your own command, but until you do, I wouldn’t have another XO at my side.”

At this, Albert smiled, “It will come, Marlena. Perhaps you will get command of one of those new boats they are talking about and I can have your leftovers, hmm? In the meantime, you’d better settle down or you’re going to have yourself back in that hospital again. What are you going to tell Hellstrom when he learns you sneaked out?”

Drawing myself up and with my most haughty tone, “I did NOT sneak out, thank you very much! For your information, I walked out the front door in plain sight of everybody; well, everybody except the attending doctor.” After a pause, “Oh, I don’t know Albert. I’ll just have to convince the Kommandant that I can finish healing perfectly fine right here and at the same time be useful, even if it is helping with some filing in the office. Anything would be better than lying in that hospital for another two weeks. I’ll think of something to tell him.”

With that, we both turned and proceeded on to the Kommandant’s office. Coming up the steps to the Administration building, my navigation officer, Leutnant Pfennings, was just coming out, his attention currently focused on some papers he was reading. I was smiling when he glanced up then did a double-take when he realized it was me. My ‘early’ release caught him completely by surprise and he halted in his tracks. “Kaleun Hessler?”

Without losing a beat in my stride, I gave him a cheery smile and waggled my fingers at him in greeting as I passed him and entered into the main foyer of the building. As I proceeded down the hall to Kommandant Hellstrom’s office, Albert remained behind to fill Pfennings in.

Passing through his outer office, I placed a finger over my lips, beseeching his aide to silence, and went straight to Hellstrom’s door. Knocking on it smartly, I stood there grinning foolishly at his astonished secretary until I heard from within, “Enter.” Opening the door I stepped within to find the Kommandant pouring over a pile of paperwork. Others may not have noticed but for those of us who had been around him awhile, I could see how haggard he looked. Our losses were hitting him hard.

Bringing myself to a position of attention before his desk, I executed a salute and exclaimed, “Oberleutnant Marlena Hessler reporting for duty Sir!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-five – Shall We Dance?

Fifteen minutes later, I came out to find Ringelmann and Pfennings milling about waiting for me. In response to their anxious looks, I smiled and gave them a thumbs up. “So far, so good. He made no mention of my early release so apparently the hospital has not contacted anybody here since I left. Who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll completely forget about me. Come on, let’s go to the Drakkar. I could use a drink or two.”

Neither of two officers looked entirely enthusiastic about my ruse remaining undiscovered but remained silent as we turned and headed toward the unofficial watering hole for the 11th Flotille officers.

My XO and Nav officer were both curious as to my reception by the Kommandant so I went on to explain that yes, he was a bit surprised to see me back this soon. A good thing I did not mark myself as fit for full duty. He’d have never believed it. On the other hand, he was more than glad to have me back and since I was restricted to light duty for a few more weeks, Kommandant Hellstrom had no doubt that they would be able to keep me busy helping with the incessant flow of paperwork. My enthusiasm left something to be desired, yet it was better than lying around in that hospital; and at least being here I could keep up on current affairs.

My running about since leaving the hospital that morning had, by now, my wounds throbbing painfully with each beat of my heart. Of course, this business I kept to myself but I was looking forward to getting off my feet and downing a few cognacs to deaden the pain. They had given me medication for it but I preferred not to take it as it made me drowsy; besides, cognac tasted better anyway.

The three of us paused outside the Drakkar as I took in the crest I had painted some time back and reflected on the memories it generated. “Seems like a long time ago doesn’t it?”
Ringelmann and Pfennings nodded silently then followed as I pushed the door open and proceeded inside.

Pausing momentarily to allow my eyes to adjust to the relative gloom of the interior, I could see that there were very few men present, and most of them were strangers to me. Most of the other boats must still be out on their patrols. Sweeping my hand to take in the myriad of empty tables, “Grab us a table gentlemen. I’ll join you in a moment.”

As the two men headed off, hailing the bartender as they went, I moved over to stand before the Memorial wall; looking over the faces I remembered being there before, as well as taking in the new ones. My eyes lingered on my cousin Bruno and many were the memories of years past. He had been so patient with me when he would take me hiking in the Alps. I found myself wishing that I had a bouquet of Edelweiss to lay here for him now. He never failed to pick some for me.

My eyes slowly scanned over the others, pausing here and there as memories of better times came to mind. Coming to Klaus Hilgendorf, I paused to study his face, my hand raised to let my fingers caress his face. Although my thoughts were silent, I heard myself saying, “Oh Klaus, what are you doing up here?” He had become a good friend and would be missed dearly. Turning my hand, as if the man in the photograph could actually see, the lamps over the photographs made the diamonds in my engagement ring shimmer with sparkling light. Smiling, I told the silent image, “Look what Wolfie went and did. I’m in for it now aren’t I?”

I light touch on my arm told me that I had company and I turned my head to see the bartender, Heinrich, at my side, his expression that of fond compassion. “It is so good to have you back with us Frau Hessler. You really had us all on pins and needles there for a while.” Smiling, he extended his hand to offer a snifter of cognac. “On the house Frau Hessler. One of your favorites, Domaine Guy Lherauld, 1936. Welcome home. I have sent the bottle to your table.”

Overwhelmed by his honest sincerity, I took the small tumbler and, being careful not to spill it, stepped forward to give him a light kiss on the cheek. “Thank you Heinrich. It feels very good to be back. You’re going to be at the wedding aren’t you?”

His expression took on the countenance of being appalled at the thought of missing it. Drawing himself up, “They would have to shoot me to keep me away! I would not miss it for anything. So, is it true? Little ‘Wolfie’ if it is a boy and Gertrude if it is a girl?”

My mouth dropped open in surprise; my thoughts racing back to the U-735 and Ringelmann telling me about my delirious ramblings while in a fever. Closing it and narrowing my eyes as I turned my gaze to my XO sitting across the room. “So, a secret he said. Only a small handful, he said.”

Quickly regaining my composure, I put on a smile that might have made a tiger think twice before pouncing. “Well Heinrich. I would think it would be best if I got the marriage out of the way first before we start talking of children, don’t you?”

Heinrich knew that he had stumbled into something but wasn’t quite sure what. Stammering, he was attempting to regroup. “Ye.. ye.. yes! Of course, Frau Hessler. I did not mean to imply …”

Laying my hand on his shoulder to calm him, “It is alright Heinrich. You have done nothing. I am going to go join the others now. Oh! One more thing. Might I possibly have a glass of water please?” Heinrich, nodding and turning to go to the bar, paused as I added, “With ice!”

“Of course Frau Hessler, right away.” Heinrich scurried off behind the bar and in short order came back to hand me a tall tumbler, filled to the brim with crushed ice and water.

Offering him my sweetest smile, I said, “Thank you Heinrich, you’re such a dear.” Raising the snifter of excellent cognac to my lips, I took a sip as I peered over the rim of the glass at the back of my target, bearing dead ahead, at anchor; engaged in animated conversation with Pfennings, unaware of the impending attack.

Sauntering over to the table, Ringelmann was seated with his back to me, leaned forward, his elbows resting on the table. This posture presented the back of his neck quite nicely above the collar of his tunic. It was here where I tipped the tumbler of ice water to pour the entire contents down the back of his neck.

Expecting as much, I stepped back in time to prevent myself from being bowled over as, with a scream like that of an incoming eighty-eight shell, he leapt to his feet; his chair tumbling and rocking the table where Pfennings was gallantly saving the drinks and bottle of Domaine Guy Lherauld from certain disaster.

Some laughter was drifting over from some of the others present as Ringelmann spun around, his fist drawn back to waylay his assailant. This, however, quickly unclenched and his eyes went wide when he realized it was me. “My apologies Kaleun Hessler. I thought . . . “

Cutting him off, “You blabbed!”

This set him back and for a moment his face bore a look of complete confusion until I enlightened him. “Aboard the 735, after my fever? You said it would stay a secret? My delirious ramblings? Little Wolfie or Gertrude?”

With the last said, the color coming to his face told me right there that had indeed told others. Pfennings was slouching down in his chair looking as though he wanted to slide under the table and hide. I really wasn’t angry. I was more embarrassed than anything else; but I wanted him to sweat a little bit.

Looking thoroughly chastised, my XO stammered out an apology, saying that he had only told a few others. Of course, these few then told another few, and so on and so on. By this time, I doubted there were very few who were not aware of the complete litany of my delirious ravings. Deciding he had suffered enough, I very primly took a seat and smiled at him. “Besides,” I said in a nonchalant manner, “I have changed my mind. If it is a boy, I was thinking more along the lines of Albert Bernard Wolfgang Pedersen.”

I took another sip of my cognac, grateful for the deadening effect it was beginning to have on my wounds while letting this set in with Albert.

Albert continued to stand there for a moment longer until the little light finally came on. As hard as it would be to top it, he actually looked more surprised than he did when I poured the ice-water down the back of his neck. His mouth dropped open to speak but nothing was coming out. Reaching down, he grabbed and righted his chair so as to drop into it, a stunned expression still covering his face. Finally regaining a small measure of composure, “Frau Hessler, Marlena . . . I . . . I don’t know what to say!”

Leutnant Pfennings had straightened back up in his chair, now grinning like a loon at his compatriot’s embarrassment.

I continued to smile at him for a moment before replying. “There’s nothing to say Albert. You took care of our wounded. You saved Wiese’s leg. Lord only knows how many more we would have lost had it not been for you; and Albert,” pausing to make sure I had his full attention, reaching across to rest my hand on his, “there is no doubt that you saved my life. Naming my first-born son in honor of your actions is a small payment in return. You’re going to make one holle of a doctor when this war is over.”

Albert was completely flabbergasted and as the initial shock wore off, it was replaced with a huge grin. “You are serious, Marlena? Really?”

With an exasperated huff, “Of course I am serious! Albert, what happened out there, I could not have done it by myself; and I am eternally grateful.”

Our discussion is interrupted when Lt. Geissler, the LI of 735, enters the bar and after spying us, strides over to join us. We are informed that Wolfgang is not far behind so I turn in my seat to face the doorway.

True to his word, Oblt. Pedersen and Lt. Bernard enter a few minutes later. In an instant Wolfgang spies his LI and comes straight to our table. My eyebrows rose in surprise as, for the first time in ages, he is very clean and well-groomed with a close shave, hair cut to fashion and wearing newly pressed navy blues crowned by the old yellowish cap.

His green eyes see only me and his demeanor shines with a beaming smile as his warm hands take mine.

A spark of desire grows in intensity as his hands take mine and he lifts me to my feet. My eyes are locked to his as he tells me, "Marlena, my little pirate! I would be the biggest idiot if I ever thought they were to keep you for any longer time. Capturing a trawler, escaping with an American Schnellboot, saving your boys .... They had no chance to keep you longer had they? Still you go on surprising me, still you do. Oh Marlena!”

We both embrace in a long, passionate kiss, our arms entwined around each other, oblivious to the cat-calls and applause of those around us. Any pain I may have been feeling from my wounds earlier has vanished and I cannot take my eyes from him as we retake our seats to engage in friendly conversation amongst our friends.

After a short while, Wolfgang leans back and, picking up the glass of cognac I had poured for him, raises it in a toast, "My friends, life is a mystery for us all, for some it ends too early, for us we got another chance.... and remember when getting it, grab it before it slips away leaving you empty handed. Now a toast for the eleventh.....and for love.........Prost!”

Everyone there raises their glasses in salute and tosses back their drinks, myself included. Turning to the bartender, Wolfgang calls to him, "Heinrich, put it on....please you know which one don’t you....."

A moment later, a very popular tune by French artist Rina Ketty fills the room. Wolfgang turns his attention back to me. "Kaleun Hessler, may I have the honor?"

A smile spreads across my face while at the same time my vision blurs with tears of happiness as I rise to join him. We move to the corner by the phonograph where we start gently dancing to the music that meant so much to our survival and rescue by the man I have come to love more than life itself.

(to be continued . . . )

Last edited by Miss Behavin on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
U-104

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Smile
vodkajello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! This is so great. I love it.

Do you realize you have written a pretty nice little novella here!?

Send it to some publishers! NOW!

err.. small bit of editing: third last paragraph, usage error. witch vs. which.
Miss Behavin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the kudos. Very much appreciated, as well as pointing out any editing errors. The "witch" has been corrected.

Quote:
Do you realize you have written a pretty nice little novella here!?

LOL! Believe it or not, when I started this story, my initial plan was for something relatively short; no more than twelve or fifteen pages at the most. So much for plans. Embarassed

Cheers!

Heather
Dowly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Behavin wrote:
LOL! Believe it or not, when I started this story, my initial plan was for something relatively short; no more than twelve or fifteen pages at the most. So much for plans. Embarassed

Cheers!

Heather

The 'book' already has 25 pages and I´m on the chapter 4. Rotfl

Great story! Thumbs Up
HW3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have us all on the edge of our seats waiting and looking forward to each new chapter of the story. Thumbs Up
Schani

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should seriously consider submitting your story.

Last night. And maybe someone else also saw this. I watched a movie 49th Parallel (1941). About a German u-boat attacked and sunk by aircraft in Hudson Bay. In order to regain their freedom, the surviving crew must travel through a Hostile Canada. I had to chuckle, as I stumbled across this movie. Then noticing the similarity with your story. Only at the start, then the story lines part company. From an Inuit village and fur trading post on the Hudson Bay to southern Manitoba's wheatfields and Winnipeg, over to Banff Alberta, then Niagara Falls Ontario. A propaganda and travelouge movie wrapped into a wartime suspense thriller. I really enjoyed this movie. If you haven't seen it; do so. One Academy award for writing and original story. Nominated for best picture and also screenplay.

Just thought maybe you might try and explore what your story might bring to many more people. At least get us some revenge for the aweful U-571 travesty.

Then again I ain't no Speilberg.
Gizzmoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this deserves to be stickied for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Schani

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, by the way. Can I be the techincal advisor?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, pretty please, pretty please, pretty please!!!!

I know there are people more qualified than me. But I called it. Smug
Miss Behavin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I am honored! I was really surprised to come online and find my story "stickied" at the top here.

I've been on a short hiatus trying to catch up on some badly needed sleep. I'll try to add some more to the story soon.

Best wishes!

Heather
GOZO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops! Heather, You finally put it in this forum Thumbs Up

Missed that for long...........

Well well let´s continue.

WP?...He will be at the Drakkar soon overidden by work as new XO 11.Flotilla

Cheers Laughing

/Per
Cpt.Thorne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you made the frontpage,
Great job! I finally had some time to read the latest, you have also captured the essence of my character, buried in papers and stressed about recent losses. As BdU would say, keep up the good work!

Kommandant Hellstrom
Manstra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a very talented lady. What a captive read that was... I eagarly await for the conclusion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: