Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

NYGM and GW - Ship Damage FAQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maui

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

I meant that surely there had to have been ships that would sink by flooding from a single torpedo hit. Maybe not often, but at times.

As far as I can tell, with NYGM damage it is not possible to get a decent-size ship (ie, bigger than small or coastal) to go down without scoring a critical hit.

I had hoped that if the upper limit on torp damage radius was raised, torps might have a better shot of sinking a ship by flooding.
LA_Dodger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about things like Fishing Boats, Trawlers(the merchant kind, not armed ones), and Tugboats? Is there a way to make small ships where they can be destroyed by the deck gun?

Also, those damn patrol craft... I lit one up, huge boom, fires, everything, and it just steamed on and kept shooting, slowed down a little, but still showed no sign at all of sinking...
AG124

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could manually reduce the coastal crafts' HPs with TimeTraveller's mini-tweaker without affecting any of the other ships. Yep
finchOU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know if this has been addressed in a patch or mod yet...but what about the effect of Flooding on speed of a ship.....right now it seems the only way to slow a ship is to hit the engine room right? Flooding would cause two things that would slow a ship down....extra weight (water is very heavy) and extra drag...more of the ship is having to be pushed through the water as the ship sinks lower in the water.

Can the fire problem be fixed?? it should at least incapasatate the the ship ...making the crew abandon ship.

I also thought I heard at some point that the ships indeed did have damage repair partys....obviously this is false with your research???

thanks for all your research on the subject matter......hopefully this will not go unnoticed by the next developer.
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui wrote:
Jason,

I meant that surely there had to have been ships that would sink by flooding from a single torpedo hit. Maybe not often, but at times.

As far as I can tell, with NYGM damage it is not possible to get a decent-size ship (ie, bigger than small or coastal) to go down without scoring a critical hit.

I had hoped that if the upper limit on torp damage radius was raised, torps might have a better shot of sinking a ship by flooding.

NYGM cannot change the game engine, we have to work within it and as such there are many issues NYGM cannot fix and compromises that NYGM has to make.

One of the issues is the 'instant' "Enemy Ship Sunk" message. If I make a single compartment equal to the ship sinking we get an instant message. If I make 2 compartments equal to the ship sinking, I may or may not get an instant message.

Everyone seems to overlook the issue of compromise required when up to 12 ships could use one value...

Apart from that we must also look at consider how a system may be gamed, that is, how a player takes advantage of a design falw to thier advantage.

Due to some of the inner working of the SHIII ship damage and the perfect funtioning 100% on the mark, not effected by depth and not effected by breaching the surface and an only a mild magnetic pistol issue, there are many ways to game the system.

Also, only now can we 'edit' the zones. BUT there will never be a perfect system.
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA_Dodger wrote:
What about things like Fishing Boats, Trawlers(the merchant kind, not armed ones), and Tugboats? Is there a way to make small ships where they can be destroyed by the deck gun?

Also, those damn patrol craft... I lit one up, huge boom, fires, everything, and it just steamed on and kept shooting, slowed down a little, but still showed no sign at all of sinking...

The NYGM SD V2 Fishing boat is 2-4 deck gun hits and the NYGM SD V2 small coastal vessel & the NYGM SD V2 trawler are all now 3-6 deck gun hits.

Also, the Fishing boat, the small coastal vessel & the trawler will take quite a few rounds of 20mm to sink them.

The NYGM SD V2 tugboat has been totally rezoned and should be a pleasure to sink.

The NYGM SD V2 Elco has been totally re-zoned and is currently in testing and should take 2-6 hits from the deck gun to sink one. The 20mm required to sink one will hopefully (in testing now) be very high as these vessels were actually made of wood and most is above the water line.

As far as the AI shooting after the boat was/is doomed, no-one but the Devs can fix that.
AG124

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The NYGM SD V2 tugboat has been totally rezoned and should be a pleasure to sink.

:hmm: Will that also hold true for my Coastal Tanker? If so, I like the sounds of what I am hearing. Very Happy If not, well, then I like sinking tugboats too whenever I see them Cool

(I can't wait for University to be over so I can gte back to playing. Sad )
Maui

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone seems to overlook the issue of compromise required when up to 12 ships could use one value...

Oh, no. I didn't mean to come off as having overlooked all the complexities you face with the damage system. I simply don't understand them all. My post was more of an "Is this possible?" type-of-thing.
Woof1701

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little background information I picked up from uboat.net:

"It was estimated that only 40% of the ships had been sunk by a single torpedo during that period [Operation Paukenschlag January - June 1942], while the rest had either required two or more, or had escaped after one or multiple hits."

This figure does not take into account torpedo failures, and one has to consider that a large number of small coastal vessels were sunk on the U.S. coast as well, which definitely didn't require more than one torpedo. During that time the magnetic pistol was already fairly reliable.
Kilamon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Der Teddy Bar wrote:
LA_Dodger wrote:

The NYGM SD V2 Fishing boat is 2-4 deck gun hits and the NYGM SD V2 small coastal vessel & the NYGM SD V2 trawler are all now 3-6 deck gun hits.

Also, the Fishing boat, the small coastal vessel & the trawler will take quite a few rounds of 20mm to sink them.

The NYGM SD V2 Elco has been totally re-zoned and is currently in testing and should take 2-6 hits from the deck gun to sink one. The 20mm required to sink one will hopefully (in testing now) be very high as these vessels were actually made of wood and most is above the water line.

As far as the AI shooting after the boat was/is doomed, no-one but the Devs can fix that.

Might want to revisit the tug boat. I have the GW supermod and I shot a french tug last night, using over 50 rounds, at least 3/4 below the water line, 15 rounds of AP and the rest HE. Punk kept moving right up til it was destroyed, and even then it was less than a satisying kill due to it ust stopping and sinking, like it gave up and scuttled.
Kpt. Lehmann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kilamon

Look in your quotation of Teddy Barr in your last post here and you will find....

"The NYGM SD V2 tugboat has been totally rezoned and should be a pleasure to sink."

You've already addressed your own concern Kilamon sir Rolling Eyes
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilamon wrote:
Might want to revisit the tug boat. I have the GW supermod and I shot a french tug last night, using over 50 rounds, at least 3/4 below the water line, 15 rounds of AP and the rest HE. Punk kept moving right up til it was destroyed, and even then it was less than a satisying kill due to it ust stopping and sinking, like it gave up and scuttled.

I did not see your name on the NYGM Ship Damage Mod V 2 beta list? So that must mean that you are using Ver 0.1.39 Rotfl
ustahl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilamon wrote:

Hi Kilamon, you say you were shooting AP rounds in GW. I've understood the AP rounds have been disabled for the deckgun in GW. How did you do that? :hmm:
There seem to be plenty of people around who would like to use AP rounds with deckgun in GW. Kpt Lehmann's recent fix for stock deckgun behaviour did not change that issue.
Jungman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow captains. Been awhile. What is the latest version for download NYGM Damage Mod?

I have only 1.36. It looks like 2.0 is still in production.

Is there a version 1.39 to download? THX. Thumbs Up

http://u-boot.realsimulation.com

Is Terrapin's site down for a time? The server says the links are not working :hmm:
Jungman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the latest version of NYGM Ship Damage Mod? 1.36 or 1.39?? I see no version 2.0 to d/l.

Anyone can help me please? Thanks. Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: