Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Do you want a third-party replayviewer? (att: Barleyman)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want a third-party, external replayviewer?
Yes, any external replayviewer would help.
63%
 63%  [ 21 ]
Yes, the featured mentioned would make it cool enough to use.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
No, I'll wait for SCS to make one.
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
No, I don't use them.
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33

goldorak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:

Quote:
No, I'll wait for SCS to make one

And people actually voted for this option too!!! Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

Didn't you know that patience is the virtue of the strong ? Rotfl
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldorak wrote:
Didn't you know that patience is the virtue of the strong ? Rotfl

I think it's not a matter of when, as would require patience, but if, which requires faith.

I'm not that much of a believer in the first place, and besides, it might take pressure off SCS to do something only they can do, say, add -real- harpoons to the P-3.

On the warping issue, it might be something the replayer can avoid interpreting, so to speak, and therefore "fix", but that depends; I'm thinking a "big position jump" (or a user option) could trigger "don't look at the positions, calculate them from courses and speeds" type functionality. This may, however, end up being at the cost of accuracy, etc.

I'm still needing someone for the frontend though. Ah well, meanwhile the _NeutralGenerator project is getting my attention.
Nexus7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more efficent ReplayViewer would be a great improvement Yep
Barleyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
I'm not that much of a believer in the first place, and besides, it might take pressure off SCS to do something only they can do, say, add -real- harpoons to the P-3.

Ahem. SCS could add "keyframe" recording capability likely with a lot less fuss than additional weapon UI to Orion.. After all, datalogging code *is* already there. And if you record "keyframes" to separate file, why, you don't break the existing replayviewer either.

Why do you want to use P-3 as a strike aircraft anyhow? Has it ever been used in such a role?
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW is a simulation. The P-3 carries the harpoon iin real life; so should it in DW.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people pushing so hard for something that is never going to happen.

You can add detectable masts to that catagory as well. Wink

It's much better to spend time worrying about things that are moddable or genuine bugs. Smile

SCS has shown zero inclination to reverse decisions that were based on "gameplay" or "USNI Reference data", whereas Jamie takes very seriously and the SCS team works hard to resolve genuine bugs when they are reproducable.
Barleyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuftWolf wrote:
Why are people pushing so hard for something that is never going to happen.
You can add detectable masts to that catagory as well. Wink
It's much better to spend time worrying about things that are moddable or genuine bugs. Smile

There's one major difference between properly functioning replayviewer and detectable masts.

One issue is hit by every single person who plays the game, including gaming press who actually reviews the game. Another is one of these fairly obscure things that should be addressed but will not have big impact even if they are.

Btw, what "gameplay" factor influences the decision to omit genuine improvements to the replays in last ten years?
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the harping about harpoons and such. Yep

Yes, the replay feature needs to be addressed.
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barleyman wrote:
One issue is hit by every single person who plays the game, including gaming press who actually reviews the game. Another is one of these fairly obscure things that should be addressed but will not have big impact even if they are.

Ummm... mind explaining which is which?

Replay problems hits only those who use them, which I suspect isn't quite everybody (I've been lax with them myself, but that may be partially because of the problems..)

As for detectable masts... that would affect most players, but how many would actually notice without being told?

(First thing they'd need to do, is make sure the "mast raising" is transmitted in other cases than same platform player. Perhaps making sure AI used masts properly. Then, they'd have to add a field in the masts database for how radar visible they are.)

I usually recommend keeping masts down when you're not actively using them, regardless of detectability, because that gives you the ability to emergency maneuver, without fear of breaking masts because you forgot them or they weren't lowered quick enough...

LW, I seem to remember you tried adding an extra emitting (counterdetectable) sensor to the masts? What did go wrong with that? Considering the CIWS radiation is only detectable (to a player, at least) at very short ranges, something similar must be possible for other emitters...
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
LW, I seem to remember you tried adding an extra emitting (counterdetectable) sensor to the masts? What did go wrong with that? Considering the CIWS radiation is only detectable (to a player, at least) at very short ranges, something similar must be possible for other emitters...

That was actually Amizaur, and I completely forgot about that...

I think the problem was that any sensory modality that was chosen provided instant detection of the mast as soon as it was raised... that or it didn't work at all. I maybe mixing up the results of this work with the results on work done to make missile transients automatically detected, as it was some time ago that this was done.

I think it's something to look into again, thanks for reminding me. Smile
Barleyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
Replay problems hits only those who use them, which I suspect isn't quite everybody (I've been lax with them myself, but that may be partially because of the problems..)

Yup. Because they're such a gigantic PITA, they get used a lot less than they should be. They'd be perfect for after-successful-mission gloating session or in the aftermath of 60 seconds of stark terror before death..

For the masts.. It's kinda like the sub accelerating too much. Some people felt it's the end of the world, but it really didn't affect the tactics you'd generally employ very much.

Should the masts be picked up by radar? Absolutely! Should they be difficult to pick up and only at shortish detection ranges? Absolutely!

So.. You shouldn't be able to monitor contacts on ESM/Visual with impunity, but with realistic detection ranges etc it shouldn't really change much.

Of course if you SEE helo on scope, you're probably screwed emitter distance inverse square -wise.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: