Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Bug in DW when using SLI Multi GPU mode on Nvidia Cards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Bug in DW when using SLI Multi GPU mode on Nvidia Cards Reply with quote

Just bought a really great system last week, and also bought DW finally.

I have an SLI motherboard with 2 Geforce 7800 GT video cards.

For those who don't know, SLI allows 2 video cards to be used on the same monitor, and can increase performance up to 100 percent. So in my case, I in effect have 512mb of Vram, plus 2 video processors.

However, in case some are having trouble, for DW in the Nvidia config you must use SLI single GPU rendering (in the advanced settings). Using multi GPU rendering (really what SLI is for) causes all sorts of screen corruprions. Text is flickered and unreadable, and pop up menus (such as the weapons, navigation, and other toolbars) rarely show up, and when they do they flicker in and out.

Just thought I'd pass this along. I discovered it today after downloading a bunch of mods, thought I'd buggered my installation. Reinstalled and found the problem still existed, but creating a DW only profile with SLI single GPU renderiing solved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW was written before SLI was developed or becoming common place. Besides it doesn't need so much GFX power.

So just use the one card. With two you won't see any benefit with the current GFX details in game.
Konovalov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XabbaRus wrote:
DW was written before SLI was developed or becoming common place. Besides it doesn't need so much GFX power.

So just use the one card. With two you won't see any benefit with the current GFX details in game.

Yep that is right. No brainer really. SLI is wasted on DW and totally not required. I sort of suspected that there would be problems with an SLI config and DW. I don't have an SLI system and I don't have DW yet but when I do get DW I will have an SLI system by that time so it will just be a case of going into the graphics card settings and changing it to work as single card as Justin said. No big deal really. Thumbs Up
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. DW does not need much. Well, it can give GFX card a hard day, if you turn tha shadows on, but without them it's just breeze.
On the other hand CPU load is something different. With time compression, CPU rarely really manages to make 32x.

Last edited by Dr.Sid on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this feedback, Justin.... that's unfortunate but interesting.

Of course now I'll see if we can acquire a system similar to yours to reproduce this sort of behavior on our end... Which is EXCELLENT NEWS! Thumbs Up (j/k)

Thanks again,
Justin Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe.

I know DW doesn't require much, but since I had it enabled as a global setting, my PC always ran in that mode. Since I do play a lot of graphic intensive games (Think Steel Beasts Pro, COD2 and IL2) in addition to older sims and strategy games, it was easier to set it that way by default, especially as I didn't think it would cause corruption. However, like I said, since older games seemed to work ok, I didn't think much of it.

Just thought I'd pass it along because frankly I never would have suspected that was the cause, and since (at least on my machine when I first installed windows and the drivers) it was set to multi GPU by default, it can be something one could over look.

That said I must say getting 110 FPS with everything turned on in DW, with forced 4X AA and 4X Antistropic filtering is kinda nice Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goldorak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Prince wrote:

That said I must say getting 110 FPS with everything turned on in DW, with forced 4X AA and 4X Antistropic filtering is kinda nice Cool

Thats cool, nvidia cards seem to have no problem with ingame aa and af.
Not so with ati cards Sad
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting 110-120 fps w/ all max and 8xS AA and 16x AF with 6800gt. Neutral\
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: