Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Somalian Pirates !

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Somalian Pirates ! Reply with quote

Just heard something about how 2 US navy ships patrolling off Somalia approached a suspicious ship . it opened fire on them with handheld missile or grenade launchers ! Surprised Needless to the say, the US NAVY immediately returned fire and subdued the pirates (killing 1 wounding 5 pirates- i did not hear of US casualties), this same band of pirates may have been responsible for the attack on a passenger cruise ship about 6 months ago.

Aside from my general surpise ,concern ,and interest in the real events and the navy personnel themselves , I read a post here regarding the need for "realistic" missions which for subs in particular can be a bit hard in a general peace time era.

i just thought this might be a good launch point for a DW campaign.

if i had a clue what i was doing - id give it a whack myself.

maybe the pirates have secretly acquired a few Russian Kilos / Akulas thru their Korean liaisons and are trying to sink an entire CVBG with a nuke tipped torp Argh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dr.Sid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody never sold nuclear sub. Not even Russia. Killo is different kind, especially the old one. But can somalian pirates (poor guys in the first place) get hands on it ?
Iran fleet is quite rich and those missions will get 'realistic' soon enough.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Sid wrote:
Nobody never sold nuclear sub. Not even Russia.
Incorrect. The Russians leased a Charlie II SSGN and Akula SSNs to India. Also the US basically designed and built the aft end (reactors, engines etc) of HMS Dreadnaught. So nuclear submarines have been sold.
Winston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a sub is a complex bit of kit. How would they learn to operate it? Also they would need to keep it hidden when it was not out at sea and they would need to find weapons for it and what about keeping it fuelled?
SUBMAN1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the best way to describe it then is, a nuclear sub has never been sold to a non nuclear country.

-S
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Sid wrote:
Nobody never sold nuclear sub. Not even Russia. Killo is different kind, especially the old one. But can somalian pirates (poor guys in the first place) get hands on it ?
Iran fleet is quite rich and those missions will get 'realistic' soon enough.

i was blending the storylines of a couple different Patrick Robinson novels ... Wink

Last edited by Palindromeria on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4283396.stm

was looking for Dangerous Waters stuff and came across this article instead. Joking Laughing
*[FOX]* Bort

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Incorrect. The Russians leased a Charlie II SSGN and Akula SSNs to India. Also the US basically designed and built the aft end (reactors, engines etc) of HMS Dreadnaught. So nuclear submarines have been sold.

I'd heard about the Charlie but not the Akula lease to India. Supposedly the Charlie lease was a real mess, the Russian engineers stayed on board and wouldn't allow the Indians into the reactor spaces so they didn't get what they wanted in the first place out of the deal, experience operating nuke boats. It left a very sour taste in India's mouth and the Charlie was returned after a very short period. Thats the USSR for you... :doh:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: