Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sabotage/Malfunctions Mod Update May 01
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JScones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, just follow the example above. SH3Cmdr will pick up via the "|<Offset> OR <Section>^<Key|" value whether the file is binary or text.

For example:

[DieselMaxSpeed]
Probability=193909_20|194001_15|194406_30
IIA=data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat2A\NSS_Uboat2A.sim|x048C|.9
IID=etc

will adjust the Diesel Propulsion max_speed value for the IIA to somewhere between 90% and 100% of the game value (ie 13 with GW).

One note, I had a look at your mod and I don't think changing the crush depth via the .cfg file works - I think it needs to be changed via the .zon file.
HEMISENT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JScones wrote:
One note, I had a look at your mod and I don't think changing the crush depth via the .cfg file works - I think it needs to be changed via the .zon file.

This section deals with the"crash dive depth"
Imagine you have to order an emergency crash dive, all hell is breaking loose you are faced with a number of immediate challenges and you expect your boat to level off at the default depth of 70m...but it doesn't, a valve sticks, something breaks, etc the first indication is that you hear creaks and groans then your crew announces your approaching critical depth at flank speed. I've tested this and it definately adds to the pucker factor.
JScones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, crAsh depth, not crUsh depth...I understand... :doh:
HEMISENT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the status of the Sabotage/Malfunctions mod.
As of now pretty much all the Malfunction files have been written and are
being tested using Jscones' SH3 Commander. There is no longer a need for the Random folder structure using the new built in randomization capabilities of Commander itself.

Files Affected are:
Ahead Standard, Full & Flank have all been reduced to gradually build up
speed as normal but the max speed attainable is reduced by around 20%
depending on the boat

Diesel Range is reduced between 20 & 60% indicating a fuel bunker leak,
malfunctioning fuel injection system or excessively worn engine.

E Motor Speed reduced similiar to diesel

E Motor Range reduced between 20 & 80% indicative of worn out batteries, electrical system malfunctions or worn E motors excessive draw.

Dive Time increased to simulate worn out manifolds, valves and other
mechanical components needed to flood the tanks and rid the boat of
bouyancy.

Crash Depth randomized to simulate boat taking on too much water or even stuck dive planes and unable to level at proscribed depth.

Periscope view is blurred-time to clear is randomized indicating worn seals or battle damage.

Attack Periscope zoom inoperative simulates mechanical switching
mechanism stuck in position-may require using observation scope.

Schnorkel extend and retract times randomized to simulate
malfunctioning/binding components.

So far this is what has been completed. I've got a few ideas for some additional areas but for the most part it's done. I have not touched the
Type II's or XXI's yet-those will be in an update.

I believe Jscones is working on an updated Commander version that will
allow date specific randomization to occur but for right now these malfunction occurances will have the same odds throughout the war.

Testing is starting probably tomorrow to get a feel for percentages but right now I'm thinking of somewhere around 20-30%.

I'm open to any ideas of additional systems that can be affected.

Cheers!
Salvadoreno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEMISENT wrote:

Crash Depth randomized to simulate boat taking on too much water or even stuck dive planes and unable to level at proscribed depth.

NICE i sense a lot of Das Boot moments!! "STERN PLANES STUCK SIR!!!" "EMERGENCY BACK".. "BOAT NOT RESPONDING!!"
"BLOW BALLAST?"

woooohooo i cant wait@!! Now this mod is the random malfunction mod that takes place throughout the war right? Not only after 1944.. Woot this mod is a godsend! When will this be released? With the next Sh3 commandeR?
gouldjg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to it Hemisent Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
HEMISENT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvadoreno wrote:

NICE i sense a lot of Das Boot moments!! "STERN PLANES STUCK SIR!!!" "EMERGENCY BACK".. "BOAT NOT RESPONDING!!"
"BLOW BALLAST?"

woooohooo i cant wait@!! Now this mod is the random malfunction mod that takes place throughout the war right? Not only after 1944.. Woot this mod is a godsend! When will this be released? With the next Sh3 commandeR?

Release may be as early as next week if testing works out but it will be a copy/paste type of thing similiar to Gouldjg's. Once I'm happy with things I'll get the completed files to Jscones for his review, after that we'll see what the Commander brings.

This simulates mechanical breakdowns, malfunctions, wear and tear and starts from the beginning of the war right thru to the end. Until Jscones is able to modify Commander for Date Specific percentages the odds will be the same from beginning to end. My Sabotage mod relies on dates so for now that will be kept as is in a Random folder structure. However when Commander is accepting dates I'll package them all together. The malfunctions files are just toned down sabotage files.

One thing, I am reading a book about the XXI boats and these were so plagued by problems I'm thinking of doing their files but reversing the percentages, something like 70 - 80% chance of multiple malfunctions.
I've got a few ideas for those boats when I get there.
JScones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, you could build a workaround to get year specific percentages.

Build a file for each year of the war, and just ask that SH3Cmdr users rename the relevant year file to the default file name. That is, if their career is in 1941, they can rename your "Randomised events_1941.cfg" file to "Randomised events.cfg" and SH3Cmdr will pick it up until they replace it with the 1942 file and so on.

Just a suggestion.

BTW, I won't start building the U-boat malfunctions feature until I see your file - so that I can get a good feel for how I should set it up.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to look them over yesterday, and I would rather see smaller percentages over more years, with more specific results:

Instead of 'Max spd 11 knts' I would rather see 'Port Diesel broken down' or 'Radar broken', with a chance at repair.
HEMISENT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JScones wrote:
In the meantime, you could build a workaround to get year specific percentages.

Build a file for each year of the war, and just ask that SH3Cmdr users rename the relevant year file to the default file name. That is, if their career is in 1941, they can rename your "Randomised events_1941.cfg" file to "Randomised events.cfg" and SH3Cmdr will pick it up until they replace it with the 1942 file and so on.
Just a suggestion..

Sorry, it's been a long day.
So, if I understand correctly I take all the malfunctions files, figure the odds for a given year say 1939 and name it "Randomised events_1939.cfg" The player would then take that file and manually place it in Commander renaming it "Randomised events.cfg. I do this for each year and the player then changes it for whatever year he's actually in.
Brilliant workaround.

JScones wrote:

BTW, I won't start building the U-boat malfunctions feature until I see your file - so that I can get a good feel for how I should set it up.

After I'm satisfied with the testing I had hoped you would look at the whole package and advise of any problems or discrepencies similiar to what we went thru with the Thermal files.
HEMISENT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
I had a chance to look them over yesterday, and I would rather see smaller percentages over more years, with more specific results:

Instead of 'Max spd 11 knts' I would rather see 'Port Diesel broken down' or 'Radar broken', with a chance at repair.

Hi Steve, I assume your talking about the sabotage files. I would love to be able to completely disable one engine or the other but right now I have no clue how this would be accomplished. The best I can do is limit the performance of certain systems. As for the radar going kaput I think that can be accomplished.
JScones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you can damage any component in a way which can be repaired from within the game.

If you change the equipment settings prior to loading SH3, then SH3 will treat them as the stock settings - it doesn't know that the VIIC max diesel speed should be x, not y which you have subsequently set it to. The value y becomes the "base" value that SH3 uses. Any adjustment to that value from *within* the game (ie caused by DD damage) results in damaged equipment which can be repaired, because the new value is different than the base value, ie y. Is this explanation clear?

Conversely, you can "destroy" the equipment prior to loading SH3, but then it's destroyed and can't be fixed at all.
raymond6751

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Random Reply with quote

Great ideas. Here is my take on the concept.

A programmer can easily use a random number generator to choose which lines in any file to alter and by how much.

Instead of having different folders, why not let the player launch the mod (like the random weather mod) before setting out on a mission.

He will then have altered files and won't know the true limits nor problems that he will encounter on that patrol.

The difficult thing will be how to notify him when one of the modified lines of a .cfg file is used. For instance, max depth change would be a bad discovery under attack. That might show up in test dives en route to patrol area - as leaking reported.

I personally would not use any mod that requires multiple sets of folders on my system. Modify one or two files, with backup of originals - OK. There are just too many ways things can go bad and ruin the whole install.
raymond6751

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote

Big thank you for working on this idea. I have felt that having systems 100 percent until enemy action damaged it was totally unrealistic.

I have a problem with the multiple folders idea though.

What if, using SH Commander to launch, a date check were made to determine the date in the scenario loading? Another file, generated by your mod via Commander when the mission started, contains details of when certain lines in certain files get altered.

Commander has the ability to launch messages to the player before loading the game, so the captain can get notified. I am thinking in terms of reducing or increasing the crew recovery rate in certain compartments to simulate illness. Systems can be damaged and the message indicating breakdown. For instance, I got a message from Commander that my starboard engine was destroyed. (in port!)

Obviously something works in that Commander mod already to do what I suggested, but I think the message should have been 'engine malfunction needing shore based assistance'.

If such things could be date related, maybe number of days on patrol, the event could happen at sea instead of port.

How would it look? My stbd engine was totally damaged on the repair screen. Other systems, like torpedo tubes, flooding, radios, and radar/sonar could be affected.

Non-equipment problems like sickness can be reflected in lowering the morale or effeciency.

My main point is the timed effect handled by Commander.
JScones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: ideas Reply with quote

raymond6751 wrote:
A programmer can easily use a random number generator to choose which lines in any file to alter and by how much.

Instead of having different folders, why not let the player launch the mod (like the random weather mod) before setting out on a mission.

He will then have altered files and won't know the true limits nor problems that he will encounter on that patrol.

Let me summarise the last four pages for you:

-Hemisent currently has a sabotage mod which utilises SH3Cmdr's Random folders feature. A random set of damage settings are selected and copied into SH3 each time SH3 is launched via SH3Cmdr. The player is oblivious to what has been damaged until they find it during the patrol.

-Hemisent is re-writing the mod using SH3Cmdr's new "Randomised events" function - no more Random folders and no more "hard coded" random settings.

-I am adding a module to SH3Cmdr to specifically handle U-boat malfunctions, including sabotage events. This will provide even more flexibility than the randomised events functionality.

More info can be found on pages 1 through 4.

raymond6751 wrote:
Commander has the ability to launch messages to the player before loading the game, so the captain can get notified. I am thinking in terms of reducing or increasing the crew recovery rate in certain compartments to simulate illness. Systems can be damaged and the message indicating breakdown. For instance, I got a message from Commander that my starboard engine was destroyed. (in port!). Obviously something works in that Commander mod already to do what I suggested, but I think the message should have been 'engine malfunction needing shore based assistance'.

Rolling Eyes This message is not related to any sabotage mod. It is a bug elsewhere which SH3Cmdr highlighted. There is a workaround posted on this forum. It has been raised MANY times here in the last two weeks.

raymond6751 wrote:
If such things could be date related, maybe number of days on patrol, the event could happen at sea instead of port.

Not possible. You can not spawn random sub damage (or basically change any settings) whilst on patrol. The associated files are loaded at startup - the variables remain in memory until the game is exited (either completing a patrol or by saving and exiting). We've all struggled with this limitation since day one.

Anyway, more importantly, I have absolutely NO intention of telling players at any time during their patrol that x, y and z are damaged. Kinda defeats the purpose don't you think???
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: