Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Engineering Officer Crewman

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Engineering Officer Crewman Reply with quote

i'm modelling in code a simplified setup of the manuevering room control cubicle for the maneuvering room... with enough functional semblence to the real thing to provide a sense of realism, while not requiring the degree in electrical engineering that some of this stuff seems to require... and keeping it simple enough for me to code...

what do you think of the following...

a recreation of the Westignhouse type single cubicle console, but with only 7 levers...

1- a generator on/off condition lever to the left... alerts the engine room crew to start/stop diesels, and places the generators online/offline...

2- two reversing levers (port/starboard, each outboard of the four gen control levers), and linked to move together (sorry, no differential thrust) to control the direction of the current output by the generators, thereby the direction of the main motors...

3- four (two pairs) generator control levers to direct the generator output to either the batteries for recharge or the main motors...

4- a single wheel (actually four could be shown, but the all would move together) at the center console to control the speed of the motors, as well as controlling the power of the diesels when surfaced... as per the info you just confirmed...

5- a simplified panel with 2 switches to energize the main ac/dc busses... thus providing electrical power to the ship...

6- a shaft rpm gauge and maybe a shaft temp gauge

this would allow the engineering officer player a set of vital responsibilites in the operation of the sub, give the player a feel for actually being there, and keep the programming logic as well as the required knowledge of the player to the point where he doesn't need a engineer's degree...

this appears good for the diesel boats, but on the nuc boats i have planned, this logic model doesn't seem as compelling gameplay wise... not that much to do in the nuc subs manuevering room...

... ahhh, i'll ocme up with something Smile anyway, what does this sound like?

thanks so much for you input...

--Mike
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineering Officer Crewman Reply with quote

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense wrote:
...not that much to do in the nuc subs manuevering room...

Huh? Rotfl
Letum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about some "disaster" controls for when the poo poo hits the fan
ie dammage repair
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Bill...
i knew that would get at least an eyebrow raised from you Wink
give me a lil insight Bill if you get a free minute or two...

@ Letum...
that's a good idea... cassualty control being in the engineering officer's hands... i've given that some thought already, and only have come up with him controlling the drain pumps to handle flooding...

hey, what do you guys think about the logic so far for the diesel sub engineering officers duties in the maneuvering room?

--Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Indie Subsims All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: