Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

100% realism: Manual charting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: 100% realism: Manual charting? Reply with quote

I used to have a sig:
Dev team take the GPS off my boat.

It would be great to be able to fulfill the navigation task ourselves, just as we can fire the gun or the torpedoes.
And if we would rely upon the assistance of our navigator, it would be nice if he was sometimes making mistakes in his calculations, due to poor training, lack of experience or exhaustion.
And of course after a day underwater or a few days with overcast, there should be a growing margin of error around our indicated position...
CCIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given development time constraints - if we can't get a fully-instrumented manual navigation, than it could be a simple as...

-Removing the real-time-updated "GPS map"
-Adding an option to the Nav officer's menu which would be something like "Get nav fix", which would only be available in clear conditions, surfaced. If the conditions aren't right - then you're on your own to guess where you are based on your last known position.

By the way, SHIII's storms already cause some speed reductions and drifts (if you don't have the U-boat set to following a course). It could easily be improved.
DeepSix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Steve wrote:
I completely agree. Of course being lazy I would like an easy version in which everything is done by the Navigator, but he wouldn't always be perfect, and every day the sky was overcast would make it worse.

Same here. I like the idea of introducing some uncertainty to add to the realism, but at the same time I'd like to be able to delegate the job so I can concentrate on playing the game.
don1reed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be neat if the Devs created a split-image observation Kollmorgan scope that could be doubled as a sextant for celestial nav?

I guess, first thing, would be to have an accurate celestial canopy...something like 'StarryNight'.

...or, a mouse device that allowed you to click on the horizon and drag a degree protractor to the heavenly body that allowed one to make accurate angle measurements from the bridge.

Cheers,
Montbrun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, but as an option only.

1) I'm a Licensed Professional Land Surveyor - I don't want to "work" when I'm supposed to be playing a game.
2) I also own my own business. As a business owner, not unlike the Captain of a U-Boat, you must delegate tasks. This is why I like to let the Weapons Officer compute firing solutions, and would like to see a "Take Position Sighting" command for the Navigator. The accuracy af this positional computation can be based on the Navigator's rank, experience, etc. I think that a +/- 2 km error would be about right. Later in the war, radio positional detection through triangulation and signal beams would reduce this error...

Just my 2 cents.

Montbrun
DeepSix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don1reed wrote:
I guess, first thing, would be to have an accurate celestial canopy...something like 'StarryNight'.

Yeah, that would look really sharp, and would be accurate, too - I've got StarryNight and love it, but I would think (only a guess here) that something so accurate might kill the frame rate. But maybe not, since you wouldn't be using zoom functions of SN (e.g., viewing the earth from Mars or the Moon).

Neat idea.
Etienne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montbrun wrote:

1) I'm a Licensed Professional Land Surveyor - I don't want to "work" when I'm supposed to be playing a game.
2) I also own my own business. As a business owner, not unlike the Captain of a U-Boat, you must delegate tasks. This is why I like to let the Weapons Officer compute firing solutions, and would like to see a "Take Position Sighting" command for the Navigator. The accuracy af this positional computation can be based on the Navigator's rank, experience, etc. I think that a +/- 2 km error would be about right. Later in the war, radio positional detection through triangulation and signal beams would reduce this error...

I've said it before, but I agree with Montbrun. Captains get to delegate. And working a sight... Well, let's just say it's not something I'd attempt willfully without a calculator, a copy of the Nories, and some spare time. I'm supposing that, to achieve full realism, trig tables and slide rulers should be used.

Celestial navigation, while a fun and rewarding experience, is a complex and involved affair. Look up a copy of the American Practical Navigator (It's available free online from the US government) to get an idea. It's about a hundred page out of the book, and that's excluding the chartwork and basic navigation requirements. It's about 140 pages in the Admiralty Manual of Navigation, Vol II.

We're talking about three pages of calculation for a single fix, folks. Forget about TC! Smile

The navigator in B-17 2 was great. Loved the way it worked (And I was way better than that idiot!). A simillar option in SHIV, for coastal navigation, would be great. And kuddos to whoever proposed the "Navigator, plot fix!" order. That'd be great, if his experience, weather and other factors are brought in!

But I'd rather have the programmers working on something else than setting up a cel nav practice program. Give us that ship-spotting proto-helicopter thingy before bothering with cel nav!
finchOU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montbrun wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Montbrun

jee then why do anything at all? you could just sleep in your rack and let your crew do everything!

my point is even as a Captain you need to be able to do all of the tasks even though you want delegate them. That is especially true on a close kit command on an sub. What fun would that be if your success as a crew was based soley on nothing you did as a captain??? Even if options are given in SH4 to delegate most everything on the sub.....there absolutly should be the option of doing it yourself.

I personally like doing most everything, it makes the kills that much more rewarding (and i still think they are some what too easy to kill). I really would like to decode messages. and of course manual charting and ploting of targets without the "GPS" map. What you describe as "Work" could for me described as factors to increase the immersion of the sim. while I am at it.....Crew management...it could be WAY better....running drills for every compartment increases effectivness of crew or keeps effectiveness high (not doing drills makes them slow and or unable unable to do duty in a pressure cooker situation). The REAL navy...that is all they do is Drills every day all day. Setting watch schedules and combat watch schedules (more rotation for high stress times). Crew get experiance on particular field based on what compartment they work on(drill on). okay I"m done with the wants!

I am also one of those Realism nutz would scarfice Graphics *GASP!* for a better simulation. Notice I said SIMULATION and not game. But I'm also a realist and know that the only way to make everyone happy is to have options (like realism options) to make it as gamey as possilbe or as Simmy as possible.
DeepSix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As on surface ships, the exec played an important role in administration, being in charge of most paperwork, ordinary discipline, navigation, morale, and a hundred other day-to-day details. During attacks, he served as assistant approach officer. A good exec enabled his skipper to remain aloof from routine problems so that he could concentrate on the objective of the mission."

That's from Blair's Silent Victory (p. 108). There's no reason why the skip can't take over any of these things from time to time, but if he gets overly engrossed in one detail, he winds up ignoring many other details that are equally (or more) important.

As I said before, introducing some of the uncertainty of navigation into the game makes perfect sense, but I'd rather not do the work of it myself. Having that as an option would be ok, but GEEZ that's a lot of development time and money spent on an option.

I dunno. I just hope my boat will have an XO.
SilentOtto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think including uncertainty in actual position due to bad weather is a must.
As many of you stated, sub sims tend to get too easy in a few weeks for advanced players (that's most of us!) so no doubt it would add tension to the gaming experience.

As for the navigation being manual or auto, I think the logical thing is to make you find star fixes (in game this translates to getting some good weather) or land fixes (go _carefully_ find some known island or coast).

We have talked about this one so much that it would be a big disappointment if its finally not included!
MadMike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black out map mod in SH2 was great, had to rely on a chart near land masses. One thing that I really enjoyed in SH2 was the readout giving the longitude and latitude when the mouse was passed over your boat icon. Nothing like that in SH3. Sad

Yours, Mike
Sixpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my vote for a realistic navigation mode ! Thumbs Up
Fab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeFF wrote:

. . . it worked perfectly fine in B-17II, and there were few complaints about the way it was implemented. Besides, it was a player-side option as whether they wanted to use it.

Yes, it did. I loved navigation in B-17 II. The computer (navigator) would continue to move the plane in the direction it was last known to be, but every once in a while you could take a peek down below and try to match up rivers and roads and shorelines and towns with what you saw on the map. Then you could simply grab and slide the B-17 icon to where you really were. As your navigator got better, error became less and less an issue.

It would be nice in SH if a navigator's increased skill actually had an effect (like less of an error). The only problem is in B-17 II anybody could take a sighting below and see the terrain and provided you're not WAY off course, see something on the map to match it and correct for it. In Silent Hunter, you'd have to use tools to take a sun sighting, check the stars, and so on, which is a magnitude of difficulty higher than, "The coast line looks like a hook with a little bay . . . ahh, here we are!"
sober

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is incorporated as a toggle on or off anytime feature .
Trout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishou gave me an idea,

What if your crew got some sort of performance bonus (ie, they do their job quicker and better with less error), if you, as the captain, periodically do a specific task that captains don’t normally do on the boat.

So if the captain periodically (even just once per patrol) plots his own attack, does a navigational fix, dives the boat, whatever, his crew learn from his example and are motivated to do better?

In this way, none of the specific tasks become burdens for the captain as he still delegates them. But he has an incentive once in a while to do it himself.

Believe it or not there are guys out there who would like to really get hands on in these boats, much the same way that with Microsoft Flight Sim, you can actually USE all the controls in the cockpit if you want to (even just turning on the heat!)

If SH4 had a usable radio where you had to dial in frequencies and filter out noise, calculate atmospheric conditions ect., there would be guys who would do it. Same thing with navigation, or with using all the mechanical controls to dive and trim the boat (which IRL is quite challenging and would kinda be fun!)

Provided you don’t have to do this if you don’t want to, nor do them all the time, don’t you think it would be cool to get hands on once in a while, especially if it improved crew performance?

So who wants to drive and fight a fully modeled submarine, raise yer hand!

Trout
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: