Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Why not serve the Royal Navy for a change?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlowwormGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Hey Torpexed, Reply with quote

I like the way you think! And I think it was Serge or them who released the Upholder a year ago or so... when SH3 came out I was thinking maybe maybe not but I don't think my machine can handle it and I don't really want to shell out for it anyway... and now with SH4 on the way... I don't know I guess from what I saw of SH3 I wasn't that impressed - maybe because its still not giving me what I want w/c is buildable user made ships.

Actually with the Betasom team gradually filling up the Med with ships (though I hope they do some more small craft particularly for the med like Yachts, Xebecs, Caiques, Lifeboats - and maybe some aquatic life too) and bases (when Malta comes along it will be a sign unto me!) as long as they keep going then we may just have enough to do it ourselves, the heck with the big money grubbing companies. I mean there's Project Messerwetzer out there, there's Kriegstanz and we got a ton of stuff ready to go as it is. My promise, when Malta comes out lets get together with Horsa and do a British Med Sub Campaign!

Cheers,
Mountbatten

P.S.
And it could be expanded further after Italy surrenders into the North Sea - sink the Tirpitz anyone?
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think game makers are only just getting the idea that everyone else in the world is getting a bit tired of playing as americans all the bloody time.
Takeda Shingen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godalmighty83 wrote:
i think game makers are only just getting the idea that everyone else in the world is getting a bit tired of playing as americans all the bloody time.

We haven't played as the Americans in the last ten years. Personally, I am tired of seeing every period submarine simulation set as the Germans in the Battle of the Atlantic. Talk about redundancy of mission objectives.

To the point of the thread, the British uses of submarine operations in the war, though limited, were varied and frequently revolving around observation and intelligence gathering (kind of like how the US used its SSNs in the Cold War). I would welcome this as a great alternative to the WWII monotony of 'find convoy-sink ship-take depth charges-repeat' of the Uboat war.
STEED

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda Shingen wrote:

To the point of the thread, the British uses of submarine operations in the war, though limited, were varied and frequently revolving around observation and intelligence gathering (kind of like how the US used its SSNs in the Cold War). I would welcome this as a great alternative to the WWII monotony of 'find convoy-sink ship-take depth charges-repeat' of the Uboat war.

Sounds like a good idea Thumbs Up
JU_88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey, Dont underestimate the british Sub fleet in WW2.

They regularly attacked the German - Norweigen bound convoys in the North sea - with alot of success.
They played a vital role in the Med too, attacking Axis shipping and

Damaging the supply chain to Rommels Africa korps.
Many of the british subs operated in shallow waters in coastal areas, as such many of them were lost due to mines and accidents.

Later the Larger T-Class subs had some success in the Pacific against the japanese, The T class had one hell of torpedo loadout, it even had tubes admid ships...

The S, U and V class subs were the most commonly used. British Torpedos were much more reliable than the Germans, but not so hi-tech.

Rock

Some pics...

GlowwormGuy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice plug for the T class there! Unfortunately I've not got (and probably won't get) SH3 but I still got SH2 kicking around and I was wondering, particularly with the Italian Regia Marina growing in strength if some Brittanophiles out there would be interested in putting together a mod for the British Submarines in World War 2. I've got a working X-Craft Sim (I've been putting this together for quite a while now, still in the experiment stage, but it seems to work fine. No new models unfortunately but what's there works the part). With Floater's amazing Kriegstanz and KDeveloper and the plethora of new models and possible repaints at our command I think it would be possible.

Campaigns:

Prewar exercises 1939
Opening of War 1939-40
Norway 1940
North Atlantic 1940-41
Mediterranean 1940-43
Norwegian Coast 1942-44
Pacific Struggle 1943-1945
Cloak and Dagger Med (Torch, Leros, Italian Surrender) 1942-44
Cloak and Dagger Northern Europe (X-Craft, D-Day) 1942-1944
Pacific Victory 1945

I think there should be more room for variety than just sink ships and such, like mentioned here intel gathering, search and rescue, landing commandos - and rescuing them - etc.

There should be really no problem filling them - there's a sizable amount of info on the British subs online and we just need to translate these patrols into udf files one patrol at a time. Then we divvy them up amongst the campaigns, filling the holes where needed with our own creations. And if there are 10 variations of a particular mission who cares, we can include all. The idea being, each 'campaign thread' should really be unpredictable, taking you to exotic distant vistas in one or keeping you in a certain specific area to make the best of things in others. And success would not necessarily entail sinking things but following orders - rendezvous, rescue, intel, weather spotting, etc.

Just wondering if there would be any interest,
Mountbatten
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i would even put up with SF to get the chance to take a t-class out to play.
Torplexed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godalmighty83 wrote:
oh i would even put up with SF to get the chance to take a t-class out to play.

*Gasp!*

The market for vintage British subs is certainly out there if somebody would recognize it. Wink
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who could say no to such a pretty face?

GlowwormGuy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just as long as they make it ruddy moddable we can probably find a way to make it work. As for me, with the Italian modding team churning out ships to fill up the mediterranean and since there's a playable L, U, S class already I don't see why we should wait.

Mountbatten
Bruno Lotse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,can't resist.

Bloody British pirates with their Jolly Roger.

HMS Turbulent crew under the command of Commander J.'Tubby' Linton at Algiers in February 1943. Just from a successful patrol. Unfortunately just over the month this photograph was taken HMS Turbulent failed to return from her next patrol Most probably she was sunk by Italian DD Arditto in March 1943. It's not Atlantik. It's Medditerrenian. You can see sea floor 50-80 m under your keel.
During WW2 the Royal Navy lost 74 submarine crews.
The German Navy - 821, the United States Navy - 51.

The seamen's mess in HMS Tribune with the petty officer supervising a daily ritual of 'tot' - rum ration.
On British subs rum was issued neat to all ratings unlike the rest of the Navy where junior rates had their rum deluted.
Incidentally, have a look at that naked pin-girl on the wall. Girls or horses - drunken salor, make your pick. Argh

The fore ends of HMS Tribune. Remember Das Boot?

HMS Storm entering Portsmouth

Very Happy
JU_88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I hope they at least throw in a playble T class sub in SH4,
nine torpeedo tubes! monster, monster! but like all the Limey subs they were a bit slow!

Nice pics though, youd have thought the Brits would have had more sense to keep the large T class boats out of the med! at least the germans had enough sense to keep IX boats out, and apply them where their long range could be put to good use.

The U and V class boats worked better in the Med, T class for the Pacific and S class for every where else Thumbs Up
Godalmighty83

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the admiralty never really got the hang of subs, they were officers bought up on teachings of standing face to face to the enemy while lobbing shells at each over.

'hide under water? how cowardly!'
Bruno Lotse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's British class system. Who were commanders of battleships or cruisers? Lords&Sirs. Who commanded subs - guys from middle/working class. Even worse - lot's of them were Scotts, i.e. not English gentry (Lt.Cdr. Malcolm David Wanklyn). Having said that, let's not forget -

"Of all the branches of men in the Forces, there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariner. Great deeds are done in the air and on the land; nevertheless, nothing surpasses your exploits."
Who said that? Winston Churchill Rock
GlowwormGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Just putting my mind to rest Reply with quote

"During WWII, 21 Uboats were sunk by Allied submarines, 13 of those by the British alone."

I'm presuming that these were all surface kills - the U-boat was ambushed by a submerged Allied sub, right? Nothing like what happened in errr U-571? Just need to lay that issue to rest. I'm arguing with someone about the facts of that movie.

By the way Bruno, that's a great quote for a British sub campaign...

Mountbatten
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter IV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: